Attention All Kenpo Black Belts

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
Naha is in Okinawa. I know a lot of westerners consider Japanese and Okinawans to be the same. But they are not. The are two distinctly differant people, with distinctly differant cultures.
Okinawa was merely colonized by Japan, just like Korea, Manchuria, and much of south east Asia. Okinawa just never got it's independance back.
So to say that Chuan Fa was in Japan because it was in Okinawa would be incorrect.
Okinawan Language is a Dialect of Japanese. Hence "Kempo"

Okinawa is a prefecture of Japan (like a state of the US)

Wasn't always a Prefecture, but it is now, and most of the young speak Mainland Japanese now.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Okinawan Language is a Dialect of Japanese. Hence "Kempo"

Okinawa is a prefecture of Japan (like a state of the US)

Wasn't always a Prefecture, but it is now, and most of the young speak Mainland Japanese now.
Okinawans are differant, plain and simple. Are you going to tell the Scots and Welsh that their English because they're part of the U.K.?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
Naha is in Okinawa. I know a lot of westerners consider Japanese and Okinawans to be the same. But they are not. The are two distinctly differant people, with distinctly differant cultures.
Okinawa was merely colonized by Japan, just like Korea, Manchuria, and much of south east Asia. Okinawa just never got it's independance back.
So to say that Chuan Fa was in Japan because it was in Okinawa would be incorrect.
Sure Kung fu made it to okinwan where it was taught ans combines with Te, making Karate. However there is no evidence the arts of Kung Fu actualy ever made it to mainland Japan. Until later when Karate arrived through Okinawa

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
well john......i was merely stating tha chuan fa did indeed cross the sea to another place. i understand that okinawa is a different place with different people. i merely used that statement as a vehicle to say that it is not entirely impossible for chuan fa to have reached japan proper.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Because they were in a Japanese speaking region?
the american kenpo guys that started chinese kenpo were in a japanese speaking region?
i stand corrected

OP
R

Raven001

The program make more sense now. I did see him listed under 8th on the Tracy website and if Al gives him the approval then it seems ok. It does sound wierd on the website but if you train the 2 years before you can test for 2nd Dan then it would be ok. My instructor does something similar but doesnt give a rank and lets us train in jujutsu after 1st dan

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
the american kenpo guys that started chinese kenpo were in a japanese speaking region?
i stand corrected
The Guys that started Kenpo were Japanese speaking people in an American region!
i was merely stating tha chuan fa did indeed cross the sea to another place. i understand that okinawa is a different place with different people. i merely used that statement as a vehicle to say that it is not entirely impossible for chuan fa to have reached japan proper

Sure it was called karate when it reached Japan proper!!

Latest Discussions