Attention All Kenpo Black Belts

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So where does that leave us AK guys at? It appears as though you are teaching the Tracy's curriculum so is your certificate open to all or any style of kenpo regardless of their Ken/mpo style :idunno: .

I don't personally recall reading anything about the art being Kenpo Jiu-Jitsu. :idunno:

OP
R

rmcpeek

Jason,

Please refer to the website that was posted earlier in this thread. The contact info is there, even an 800 phone number for the school. Hanshi McPeek will be happy to answer any of your questions. Just give him a call.

Rich

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but this sounds like professional organization that offers billing and operational tips to its members. If its a business that offers martial arts advancement as well, it would just be a fringe benefit of having quality Tracy Blackbelts as members. Again I fail to see the joke. It all looks straight forward to me. United Professionals does the same damn thing; where is the outrage there?
Sean

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I'm drawing a line at issuing (full) rank in an art that one hasn't practiced, and doing so remotely. Services I can see...some groups even "certify" your rank...but this seems like a clear, bright line to me.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
you know it's funny, but you use the japanese words for your rank,
you know , 1st shodan, and so forth, why? you are chinese kenpo, i know i started with Tracys, just a though
You know its funny, I have a couple friends who train Tracy and they go by Sensei, but you would think they would use Sifu, since its Chinese Kenpo. I never quite figured why this was.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Right, cuz the Japaense roots from the Castle imnotsure from the province of Somewherethere show that the Vauglyfamiliar Clan- clearly show the deep japanese roots

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
You know its funny, I have a couple friends who train Tracy and they go by Sensei, but you would think they would use Sifu, since its Chinese Kenpo. I never quite figured why this was.
Well....

Kenpo is the Japanese Pronunciation of "Chuan fa". So Chaun Fa came across the sea and got taught as Kenpo, instructors got called Sensei, but it was still Chinese ;)

OP
R

Raven001

If you are teaching Tracys Kenpo and I have a BB in Tracys why would I want another BB in the same system. And are you a fully credited Tracy Kenpo School and does Al Tracy know what your doing

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Well....

Kenpo is the Japanese Pronunciation of "Chuan fa". So Chaun Fa came across the sea and got taught as Kenpo, instructors got called Sensei, but it was still Chinese ;)
umm yeah, i knew about the first part. why not just call it chuan fa. just another muddled bunch of terminology.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Okay here is the scoop at least from my end. I made the phone call and spoke with the owner of the school.

• Claims to be a 8th Dan in Tracy System and says he is listed on Tracy Website.
  • He said that once his Student obtains First Dan in Kenpo. In order to get your 2nd Dan in Kenpo. You must train in JuJitsu. So when you acheive your 2nd Dan in Kenpo you have a First Dan in JuJitsu.
  • We talked for about 5 to 10 minutes. He seems to be okay. I may meet him at his son's School in June. Just to check things out.
  • He says Tracy comes down to Buffalo NY every two years and has given his stamp of approval for the program(s) he teaches.
:jedi1:

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe because there is no evidence that Chuan Fa crossed the sea to japan. So the Japanese pronounciation could be the closest thing or only thing know at the time

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
umm yeah, i knew about the first part. why not just call it chuan fa. just another muddled bunch of terminology.
Because they were in a Japanese speaking region?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Maybe because there is no evidence that Chuan Fa crossed the sea to japan. So the Japanese pronounciation could be the closest thing or only thing know at the time
Sure there is, And from it combined with Okinawan stuff came karate.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought this was legit, just weird. You gotta black belt in kenpo? -- great -- now lets teach you some grappling. Wear what ever rank you want.
Sean

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
in 1392, 36 chinese families settled in naha, bringing with them their cultures, traditions, and..........ta da martial arts. there was even a big monument erected by their descendents to commemorate confucius.

hope thats enough evidence

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
I thought this was legit, just weird. You gotta black belt in kenpo? -- great -- now lets teach you some grappling. Wear what ever rank you want.
Sean

I agree with you.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
in 1392, 36 chinese families settled in naha, bringing with them their cultures, traditions, and..........ta da martial arts. there was even a big monument erected by their descendents to commemorate confucius.

hope thats enough evidence
Naha is in Okinawa. I know a lot of westerners consider Japanese and Okinawans to be the same. But they are not. The are two distinctly differant people, with distinctly differant cultures.
Okinawa was merely colonized by Japan, just like Korea, Manchuria, and much of south east Asia. Okinawa just never got it's independance back.
So to say that Chuan Fa was in Japan because it was in Okinawa would be incorrect.