Ju-Jitsu practitioners (preferably black belt+) I need your help!

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It may vary between different styles of Ju-Jitsu but can someone please make a list from white belt to black belt in Goshin Ryu Ju-Jitsu with the criteria you have to learn to earn each belt. I don't mean the name of every technique, just something like 'kata' or 'practical'. If you wish to expand then please do.

Also, which belts did you find the hardest to pass?

Thank you! :)

Last edited:

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You'll have to bring the scope of your question down some, and at least give us the name of a particular school. Ju Jutsu is a rather generic term that refers to arts which originated from old Japan. Please read the fairly decent definition that they have on Wikipedia to understand more about what you're asking. Jujutsu

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It may vary between different styles of Ju-Jitsu but can someone please make a list from white belt to black belt in Goshin Ryu Ju-Jitsu with the criteria you have to learn to earn each belt. I don't mean the name of every technique, just something like 'kata' or 'practical'. If you wish to expand then please do.

Have you asked your teacher? I know that when I began studying Hapkido, I was given a list of all the techniques from white to 1st Dan. They were memory enhancers mostly. You could not take many with no knowledge or prior instruction and do them correctly. I then did then from 1st to 2nd Dan, and later from 2nd Dan to 3rd Dan.

Your teacher may have something like that as well.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Grasshopper, to be blunt here, I don't think you'll find another student of Goshin Ryu Jujitsu (sic), for a range of reasons... and as such, there's really little we can do to tell you what your own syllabus is/should be.

You'll have to bring the scope of your question down some, and at least give us the name of a particular school. Ju Jutsu is a rather generic term that refers to arts which originated from old Japan. Please read the fairly decent definition that they have on Wikipedia to understand more about what you're asking. Jujutsu

Paul, if I'm not mistaken, our young member here is training in this: http://www.goshin.org/

Goshin Ryu was founded in 1987 by Steve Barnett at the request of students who were dissilusioned with the politics of Martial Arts. Goshin Ryu Jujitsu Kai, was purely a Jujitsu association. "Goshin Ryu International", is now a multi martial arts association and membership is open to all styles, clubs, associations and individuals.We have affiliations and representatives around the world. Goshin Ryu International is a non profit making, non political organisation. Predjudice of any kind is strictly forbidden.[h=3]About Steve Barnett[/h]Steve began his Martial Arts training on joining Her Majesties Service as a boy soldier in 1960. He completed his full army career in 1985. His involvement with various parts of the army has given him an excellent background in "real martial arts".Steve has a world wide reputation for no-nonsence training with a direct approach to combat. He is a much sought after instructor and is much travelled around the world teaching Jujitsu. A very quiet man, and a practising Zen Buddhist.He has trained with, and continues to train with many leading top masters from all over the world and regards himself as a student. Steve holds many awards and has been inducted into many Halls of Fame. As the Western European Director of the All Japan Jujitsu International Federation, he welcomes you to Goshin Ryu International.

Hmm.... "a background in "real martial arts".... trained with, and continues to train with many top masters..." anyone else see a few red flags here?

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmm.... "a background in "real martial arts".... trained with, and continues to train with many top masters..." anyone else see a few red flags here?
Not red flags, just a modern creation rather than a traditional art. Since he's not claiming to be the master of an obscure ancient Japanese tradition, I don't really have a problem with it. Not my cup of tea, but it appeals to many.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm referring to the complete lack of any actual martial arts training listed, instead just "His involvement with various parts of the army has given him an excellent background in 'real martial arts'". Which 'real martial arts'? Which 'top masters'? It's this complete lack of any real detail at all that is sending my spidey sense tingling....

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts, the term itself, refers to some form of organized fighting force and the art they practice to fight.

AKA: military

he's saying that since he has trained in the military and knows whatever martial art style the British military is teaching these days, He has experience in "real martial arts" because he has had to use them in real military situations and train in them like real military men.

Kind of like krav maga is considered "real self defense" because it was built from the ground up to teach anyone to fight and defeat an aggressor even if it's multiple opponents or they have a weapon. It's a "real" self defense style. It's technically not even a martial art, as it was never designed for warriors or a military like Japanese styles were for example.

the term "real" in this case simply means "We mean exactly what we say"

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Martial arts, the term itself, refers to some form of organized fighting force and the art they practice to fight.

AKA: military

he's saying that since he has trained in the military and knows whatever martial art style the British military is teaching these days, He has experience in "real martial arts" because he has had to use them in real military situations and train in them like real military men.

Kind of like krav maga is considered "real self defense" because it was built from the ground up to teach anyone to fight and defeat an aggressor even if it's multiple opponents or they have a weapon. It's a "real" self defense style. It's technically not even a martial art, as it was never designed for warriors or a military like Japanese styles were for example.

the term "real" in this case simply means "We mean exactly what we say"

But he's claiming a system of Jujutsu. How could he create one if all he was exposed to was a range of army combatives? Additionally, that's not how the bio reads to me.

Oh, and no, martial arts do not necessarily refer to an organised fighting force, such as an army, so the basic precept there is rather flawed. Additionally, Krav Maga is based in other systems, not just created out of nothing.

The entire thing just seems, well, bogus to say the least.

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think there is someone in my school who had trained in Goshin Ryu or some type of "Goshin" school.
Maybe I can ask him some questions about it.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Goshin" basically means "self defence", so it's not an uncommon term, particularly in modern systems. The Genbukan's self defence curriculum is referred to as "Goshinjutsu" (as is ours), as well as there being things like Goshin no Kata as "self defence forms" in a range of places. I wouldn't put money on there being any connection, but it never hurts to ask.

Latest Discussions