Are women disadvantaged in striking arts/styles?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like you are giving your students the sort of violence they are trying to avoid i.e. being beaten full force with no protection.

All the conditioning in the world isn't going to stop your floating rib from snapping if a 182cm 127kg man punches a 165cm man 63kg man full force.
No. Just controlled conditioning. Nothing to do with beating and not above a level that that particular person can tolerate. I think you should look at your understanding of 'violence'.

Definition of Violence. The intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, that either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment or deprivation.

Um! No! We've never had that from conditioning. It is totally controlled.

We have always done circle work with punches and kicks, Systema and Krav both have multiple attacker training where you get punched from all directions. Teaches you to relax and absorb.

So, out of interest, what do you do in your training to prepare you for being hit?
:asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It always shows the ignorance of people using that word because they don't actually understand that sheep are actually quite bright ( intelligence equal to dogs ) with very good memories, have excellent defence skills and coping strategies under the most extreme conditions. I don't know why people malign sheep just based on what they think sheep do! :miffer:
Sheep = controlled by, cute but mean, dogs.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheep = controlled by, cute but mean, dogs.

Where I live the sheep live out on the hills, all through the winter as well, they lamb outside, protect themselves from foxes and army tanks. Once a year they are brought down for shearing and selling. They are tough sheep, a ram killed a farmer not long ago and they have been know to go for walkers in lambing time. Sheep dogs aren't mean but very obedient and controlled so rather than calling people after sheep perhaps sheep dogs would be better. Under the master's thumb, not allowed to do what they want, obedient and only needed sometimes.
these are our sheep , see how much they cost? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swaledale_sheep

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The sheep, sheeple, sheep dog terms are so overused and frankly not very accurate and insulting on many levels regardless of which ones you use. Grossman didn't do anyone a service when he thought them up!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where I live the sheep live out on the hills, all through the winter as well, they lamb outside, protect themselves from foxes and army tanks. Once a year they are brought down for shearing and selling. They are tough sheep, a ram killed a farmer not long ago and they have been know to go for walkers in lambing time. Sheep dogs aren't mean but very obedient and controlled so rather than calling people after sheep perhaps sheep dogs would be better. Under the master's thumb, not allowed to do what they want, obedient and only needed sometimes.
these are our sheep , see how much they cost? Swaledale sheep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That is brilliant, actually, because the cops are the sheep-dogs, and that just happens to be what we are discussing in this instance. :)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep this discussion on-topic, and civil. If you want to start another thread with its own topic, feel free to do so, as long as you stay within the guidelines.

In the meantime, if you don't like what someone has to say on a regular basis, you're welcome to use the "ignore this poster" feature that is built into the vBulletin software.

If you believe someone is in violation of the rules, then you should click on the triangle with the exclamation mark, to report the post to the moderation team.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Assistant Administrator

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I quite agree we need to back on topic but have to add I've now been left with the vision of police officers having cold, wet noses.........

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
It always shows the ignorance of people using that word because they don't actually understand that sheep are actually quite bright ( intelligence equal to dogs ) with very good memories, have excellent defence skills and coping strategies under the most extreme conditions. I don't know why people malign sheep just based on what they think sheep do! :miffer:
A lot of people who end up in cults are quite bright as well but that doesn't stop them from being led.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A lot of people who end up in cults are quite bright as well but that doesn't stop them from being led.

This post is going all over the show, from Tez punching some poor over-sized corn-fed army dude in the snoozle to cults.
Anyhow, what is wrong with being led and letting someone else take the lead?

I am genuinely interested though, what would have happened if someone in the line had, rather than just stand and take the punch, blocked your police instructor's strike and put him in a rear naked choke or some such. Would they still have been cut for not making the grade? It's good to know someone can take a punch...better to know they can avoid one and actually protect themselves and others in the first place.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is norwegian Cecilia Brækhus, one of those poor weak disadvantaged women.

cecilia-braekhus-congratulations-four-titles.png

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is norwegian Cecilia Brækhus, one of those poor weak disadvantaged women.

An amazing and gifted woman. But it must be admitted that she'd be in trouble if matched against a world class heavyweight. That is why weight classes exist. All other things being equal, sheer size and strength becomes a much more significant factor.
It is inaccurate to say that woman are disadvantaged in combat arts (striking or not). It is, however, accurate to say that size and strength do play a role in determining the outcome of a match, regardless of the plumbing involved.

kodora81

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
An amazing and gifted woman. But it must be admitted that she'd be in trouble if matched against a world class heavyweight. That is why weight classes exist. All other things being equal, sheer size and strength becomes a much more significant factor.
It is inaccurate to say that woman are disadvantaged in combat arts (striking or not). It is, however, accurate to say that size and strength do play a role in determining the outcome of a match, regardless of the plumbing involved.

^This.

I don't post here very often, but as another female martial artist I felt compelled to reply.

If we truly follow the premise of the OP, then EVERYONE would be disadvantaged in the striking arts, as there will always be someone bigger/stronger than them.

I'm 5'1" and 110lbs. Am I the smaller sparring partner the majority of the time? Hell yes. Does that stop me from training? Hell no.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes Dirty Dog, I believe that point may have been brought up once or twice before. As has certain things that might actually be to a woman`s advantage believe it or not.

I`d like to ask the other boys around here a question: have you ever lost a sparring match against a woman (disadvantaged as they are) due to overconfidence?

I`ll go first, I have, more than once too, and not only were they women they were also lower ranked than me and I got beaten fair and square due to ego.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
^This.

I don't post here very often, but as another female martial artist I felt compelled to reply.

If we truly follow the premise of the OP, then EVERYONE would be disadvantaged in the striking arts, as there will always be someone bigger/stronger than them.

I'm 5'1" and 110lbs. Am I the smaller sparring partner the majority of the time? Hell yes. Does that stop me from training? Hell no.

Size wasn't the only consideration. The other was cultural and societal mores that caused men to treat women differently while training.

kodora81

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Size wasn't the only consideration. The other was cultural and societal mores that caused men to treat women differently while training.

I can only speak from personal experience, but at my club male students get over that pretty quickly. When they don't, they learn a pretty quick lesson similar to Tez's student.

Latest Discussions