Kamatuuran Kalijin-Blind Princess Josephina

tuturuhan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Salutations,

So why is it that an old man teaches women and why does he teach Yin/energy. Well, besides the fact that I am still attracted to women...I do so because I want to improve my technique. I do so, so that I can continue to "beat up" on the young tough guys.

I'm an old man...I have to face the fact that my body can no longer do the Yang/muscular things it once could at the age of 18 years old. I learned this when at the ripe old age of 25 I discovered that my young teenage students were beginning to surpass me.

As such, I was soon faced with a choice: I could "hide behind my belt" and pretend to be the "authority" or I could find that pathway that would allow me to again "kick ***". Fortunately, the choice was made more clear, when I was taken to a woman tai chi chuan teacher. Interestlngly, I noticed that my teacher was quite "male" in her approach to tai chi chuan. (This is a subject I will discuss some time in the future.) Nonetheless, as I practiced Tai Chi Chuan my "hard style" became faster, stronger and better than ever.

I was again on the path of improving my technique. I could still compete with the other male wolves for "alpha male" of the pack. More fortunate for me, was the fact that providence had re-introduced me to the great Ben Largusa, the Grandmaster of Villabrille Kali. In 1973, I first watched his magic being performed. I knew that his teacher was the legendary Floro Villabrille and that Floro's teacher was a woman. At the time, I truly did not understand my great fortune. (I was to discover, that Ed Parker had invited two men to perform at the 1968 Long Beach Internationals, one was Bruce Lee the other was Kali Master Ben Largusa. They were both up for the part of Kato in the Green Hornet. One day, I will discuss who was first chosen for the part.)

I did not understand the ramifications of having the blind Princess Josephina as a link in the chain of my linage. Though, I was aware of the fact that in his 50's Ben Largusa could still best any young man with the flick of his finger. I wanted that. I wanted to not "hide behind my belt" in fear of the young wolves.

To make a long story short, I learned in the last 25 years, (that's right...I'm 50) that the female wolves plan, strategize and perform the hunt. All throughout nature, it is the female of the species that is truly the deadliest. As such, as an old man in his fifties, I relish the fact that I am still attracted to women...and that I have continued to "kick ***" because of my growing understanding of "Yin/female energies.

Tuhan Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Grandmaster Kamatuuran School of Kalijin

OP
T

tuturuhan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Enclosed is a clip of Gura Michelle Bautista, Gura Cathy Macay and Guro Felipe Macay demonstrating at a Filipino Martial Arts convergence of styles.

Please not the soft fluid movements that are performed by the women Guras. Kamatuuran Kalijin is a martial art that concentrates on Yin/female energy.

Please enjoy:

I am available for questions. Or stop by for a class if you happen to be in the San Francisco Bay Area. We often have students from different disciplines who come by for lessons.

Grandmaster Kamatuuran Kalijin

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

tuturuhan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Today, many exponents of wing chun deny the old story that wing chun was developed by a woman. Likewise, in my linage many people have claimed that the Princess Josephine was a made up myth.

By examining the stances, punches and philosophies of the methods, one can see how and why yin/female methods were employed in both wing chun and kamatuuran kalijin. Can you see them?

Is it possible that a women founded "deadly systems"? Well, you know my opinion.

Grandmaster of Kamatuuran Kalijin

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Enclosed is a clip of Gura Michelle Bautista, Gura Cathy Macay and Guro Felipe Macay demonstrating at a Filipino Martial Arts convergence of styles.

Please not the soft fluid movements that are performed by the women Guras. Kamatuuran Kalijin is a martial art that concentrates on Yin/female energy.

Please enjoy:

I am available for questions. Or stop by for a class if you happen to be in the San Francisco Bay Area. We often have students from different disciplines who come by for lessons.

Grandmaster Kamatuuran Kalijin

Nice clip reminds me of my wife when she is practicing. Beautiful to watch! Women can be great martial artists!
icon14.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

tuturuhan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sensei Brian,

Thank you for your kind response. It's interesting to see who has an "eye" and who does not. My method is both external and internal. I post on this board, because the Princess Josephina brought a unique method of "walking the circle".

Please take a look at the following "walking the circle":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRJTMt1UjdA&mode=related&search=

Thank you again for your comments.

OP
T

tuturuhan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok Ladies,

I'm a yellow belt now...So, it's ok to talk to me. Even my wife talks to me. I don't like her talking to me sometimes. But, I still love her. I even talk to my daughters, ages 6 and 9. But then, I can still yell at them.

Tuhan Joseph T. Oliva

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My teacher is young at heart and likes teaching women, so I benefit from that. I'm on a dialup internet connection, so downloading one of the videos you posted (one is over 7 minutes) takes a heartbreaking hour for me. And as my time is precious and fleeting, I'm patiently waiting for you to tell us more about the blind princess as you promised. :)

OP
T

tuturuhan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi She,

Do you want the truth (i.e. kamatuuran) or do you want the grace and elegance of a good story.

What we know for sure, is that my teacher's teacher, "cystalized his method" when he came upon the village of Gundari, on the Island of Samar.

The village is still there. When last asked in the 1990's some of the old folk said, "Yes there was a fighting practice...that moved around the body in circles. And yes, her gravesite is not far from here. It is covered with flowers the year round".

If you can get a hold of it, read Danny Inosanto's book "Filipino Martial Arts" he talks about my teacher Ben Largusa and his teacher Floro Villabrille, being the best of the best. It was Floro who went to the Village and directed by the Datu (chieftain) to take lessons from the "Blind Princess Josephine".

So, please tell me about your practice. Tell me about how you move? Thank you for your interaction. "My father thanks you, my Mother thanks you, my Sister thanks you...and I thank you"...

Grandmaster Kamatuuran School of Kali

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you want the truth (i.e. kamatuuran) or do you want the grace and elegance of a good story.

I don't claim to speak for Shesulsa, but for myself, I would like the truth. Your original post introduces the person of "the blind princess" and you have provided no information about her except her name, despite her being in the title of this thread you created, and despite direct questions for more information about her. I come here for information about martial arts and martial artists - if I want the "grace and elegance of a good story" then I'll read a novel, something I do all the time, and for just that purpose.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, I would like to know more. What led her to gain the life lessons to impart to you? What were your original reasons for going to her? Surely it is not just to become the Alpha Male just by studying under a gender counterpart?

- Ceicei

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tuhan Joseph,

Your quote here:

Ok Ladies,

I'm a yellow belt now...So, it's ok to talk to me.

Has me a bit puzzled. Do you think no one is speaking to you because of your rank on an internet forum? MT prides itself in being a friendly place with friendly discussion. The women and men of this forum, pride themselves on being knowledgeable in their fields and always show each other due respect.

Furhermore, this and the other threads you have started in the women martial artist forum are a bit of an oddity. You seem to like to speak to the women martial artists referring to us as "ladies" and shortening the Assistant Admin's name to "She" as if you are familiar with her and you two have a history. You post threads that make me wonder how they have anything to do with martial arts. Now, I can only speak for myself in saying that I find this all a bit...well..odd.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tuhan Joseph,

Your quote here:

Has me a bit puzzled. Do you think no one is speaking to you because of your rank on an internet forum? MT prides itself in being a friendly place with friendly discussion. The women and men of this forum, pride themselves on being knowledgeable in their fields and always show each other due respect.

Furhermore, this and the other threads you have started in the women martial artist forum are a bit of an oddity. You seem to like to speak to the women martial artists referring to us as "ladies" and shortening the Assistant Admin's name to "She" as if you are familiar with her and you two have a history. You post threads that make me wonder how they have anything to do with martial arts. Now, I can only speak for myself in saying that I find this all a bit...well..odd.

You certainly have our attention with the blind princess, and you've shown us some really good videos, but- what's going on?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi She,

What we know for sure, is that my teacher's teacher, "cystalized his method" when he came upon the village of Gundari, on the Island of Samar.

The village is still there. When last asked in the 1990's some of the old folk said, "Yes there was a fighting practice...that moved around the body in circles. And yes, her gravesite is not far from here. It is covered with flowers the year round".

If you can get a hold of it, read Danny Inosanto's book "Filipino Martial Arts" he talks about my teacher Ben Largusa and his teacher Floro Villabrille, being the best of the best. It was Floro who went to the Village and directed by the Datu (chieftain) to take lessons from the "Blind Princess Josephine".

So, please tell me about your practice. Tell me about how you move? Thank you for your interaction. "My father thanks you, my Mother thanks you, my Sister thanks you...and I thank you"...

Grandmaster Kamatuuran School of Kali

Well, I'm not a lady, but I too, find it very odd that you a) seem to only be interested in talking to females and b) that you refuse to answer direct questions regarding your art! I posted this thread in the FMA section here, in hopes to learn more about your art.

As for your Martial Talk belt rank...that changes the more you post. I'm not interested in a Martial Talk belt rank, but someone of your rank should be more than willing to answer questions.

Mike

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm guessing your style of Kali is a circular, softer, deadlier form of knife fighting. Still curious as to the Josephina lineage report.

Oh that's all right. I found it on the many other discussions you've started like this one on the net.

Would I be correct in that Josephina possessed the sixth sense which is what we westerners know as natural awareness and taught Villabrille when he was a boy?

I was able to download a portion of one of the videos and you spoke of something we like to do - fileting, using softness to find pressurepoints for control, etcetera.

Curious, have you ever met or worked with Michael DeAlba?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, it's funny. When I refer to Bullstuff stories, particularly in FMA, I refer to them as "Blind Princess Stories." It has pretty much been verified that the Blind Princess story is B.S.; recorded by Guro Inosanto sure, but as legend rather then history.

Just thought I'd intervene. Carry on "ladies"....

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tuhan Joseph,

Your quote here:

You can speak for me too.

So...what she said.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Salutations,

So why is it that an old man teaches women and why does he teach Yin/energy. Well, besides the fact that I am still attracted to women...I do so because I want to improve my technique. I do so, so that I can continue to "beat up" on the young tough guys.

I'm an old man...I have to face the fact that my body can no longer do the Yang/muscular things it once could at the age of 18 years old. I learned this when at the ripe old age of 25 I discovered that my young teenage students were beginning to surpass me.

As such, I was soon faced with a choice: I could "hide behind my belt" and pretend to be the "authority" or I could find that pathway that would allow me to again "kick ***". Fortunately, the choice was made more clear, when I was taken to a woman tai chi chuan teacher. Interestlngly, I noticed that my teacher was quite "male" in her approach to tai chi chuan. (This is a subject I will discuss some time in the future.) Nonetheless, as I practiced Tai Chi Chuan my "hard style" became faster, stronger and better than ever.

I was again on the path of improving my technique. I could still compete with the other male wolves for "alpha male" of the pack. More fortunate for me, was the fact that providence had re-introduced me to the great Ben Largusa, the Grandmaster of Villabrille Kali. In 1973, I first watched his magic being performed. I knew that his teacher was the legendary Floro Villabrille and that Floro's teacher was a woman. At the time, I truly did not understand my great fortune. (I was to discover, that Ed Parker had invited two men to perform at the 1968 Long Beach Internationals, one was Bruce Lee the other was Kali Master Ben Largusa. They were both up for the part of Kato in the Green Hornet. One day, I will discuss who was first chosen for the part.)

I did not understand the ramifications of having the blind Princess Josephina as a link in the chain of my linage. Though, I was aware of the fact that in his 50's Ben Largusa could still best any young man with the flick of his finger. I wanted that. I wanted to not "hide behind my belt" in fear of the young wolves.

To make a long story short, I learned in the last 25 years, (that's right...I'm 50) that the female wolves plan, strategize and perform the hunt. All throughout nature, it is the female of the species that is truly the deadliest. As such, as an old man in his fifties, I relish the fact that I am still attracted to women...and that I have continued to "kick ***" because of my growing understanding of "Yin/female energies.

Do you really consider yourself an old man at 50? I'm 49 and I feel like I'm 25. Sorry if I got off topic.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know, it's funny. When I refer to Bullstuff stories, particularly in FMA, I refer to them as "Blind Princess Stories." It has pretty much been verified that the Blind Princess story is B.S.; recorded by Guro Inosanto sure, but as legend rather then history.

Just thought I'd intervene. Carry on "ladies"....

Interesting....

and as for the "Carry on 'ladies'" comment.....:moon: :p ;)

OP
T

tuturuhan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei, She, Tkd, Jade, Cacey and two gentlemen,

I really don't mean to be tart, flippant, insultful, or to cause a riot.

1) The story is true. How do I know...that's what I was just asked last night by some of my students. What proof do you have?

Well, just today, I spoke to my teacher, Ben Largusa, student of Floro Villabrille who was the student of the Blind Princess Josephine. Since, the Blind Princess is probably dead, (though a grave site exists and you can go there to the Island of Samar, Village of Gundari) I must either believe the great Ben Largusa or call him a liar. Obviously, someone, in this thread just did that...called me, Dan Inosanto and Ben Largusa liars.

(note: 2 men were invited to Ed Parker's 1964 International tournament to demonstrate for all the black belts. They were there to also demonstrate for Stirling Silipant, for the part of the Green Hornet. One was Bruce Lee, the other Kali Master Ben Largusa. Ben got the part...) quoted from Ed Parker's last article in Black Belt Magazine.

Of course, I could examine our circular method, sensitivity and use of the weapons and compare them to the differences in gender qualities that make our style unique...though not that different from tai chi, or baqua.

To do so, I would have to examine the architecture of the style. Well, suffice to say I am only a quasi intellectual. U.C., Berkeley, BA, JD.
As such, again, we still have to rely on oral histories. So we have to taint each others reputations by blurting out "******** stories" And again, if I don't believe my teacher, I must call him a liar.

2) So, when I asked "do you want the truth" some people and going to believe and others are going to deny vehemently without knowing me, my linage or the people I love. Yet, do I know 100% that it is true...yes, based on my belief in my teachers.

Every story has its gems of truth, its exagerations and its detractors. The gentleman, who last commented in this thread is dead certain that the story is a lie. Well, he too is relying on oral history from someone he believes. I respect his opinions...but would never call rudely call someone a liar unless I knew him, and I were face to face.

And finally, when I say the truth...as a LAWYER...people either love you or they hate you when you attempt to perform the truth. Sure, I want to be liked...but, I am more interested in learning, experiencing and interacting.

3) Do I have an ulterior motive, yeah, sure. I am interacting, exchanging and marketing my skills. More, specifically, I believe that I teach a method that is designed from and designed for women.

So, yes, I am marketing. I want you to buy my books. Go to my Money/Prosperity Workshops and stop by my classes if you are in the SF Bay Area. I teach an all female instructor level class on friday nights from 7-9:30pm. As a weapons master, I teach these women first, how to use the knife and then a variety of other weapons (e.g. baston, double baston, double daggars, spear, gim, 3 sectional staff) Oh and do I have a men's class...of course.

So, PLEASE COME TO MY MARTIAL ARTS SEMINARS...I have two daughters to feed cloth and send to send to college. I'm 50 years old and I don't have much time.

And even though my wife threatens to kick me out of the house...she's a good good person. She is a Domestic Violence Attorney...hmmm will that buy me points...probably not.

I do appreciate those of you who are a bit intrigued. Ceicei, She, you have asked good questions. And Lisa, you are kind to me in that you use my title, "Tuhan". In the videos, I hope my skills speak well of me.

So, I hope to keep interacting, exhanging

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sir,

I'd like to respectfully ask you to please address me as "shesulsa" as I wouldn't dream of addressing you as "tutu."

Please don't take offense, but your threads are extremely difficult to follow. So allow me to give you a few pointers as to how MartialTalk.com works from one user to another:

We have a number of forums here for various subject matters and try to keep within those guidelines when bringing a topic to the board. We also have some rules about topic flow, advertising and soliciting for students ... you might want to check those out at the Rules link on the blue menu bar towards the top of the page.

If you don't mind, could you please address some of the questions here directly? It's difficult and discouraging to the conversation if we must draw out from you what you wish to share.

So, this thread you've started has the subject matter of the Blind Princess ... could you keep to that topic please?

Regards,

shesulsa

Latest Discussions