Are women disadvantaged in striking arts/styles?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually........the principles of grappling are probably more familiar to the 'general population' than 'striking'. Kids roll around with each other all the time, wrestling has been a staple of television for decades, first the 'normal' sort then the WWE type, I believe in North America wrestling is an extremely popular sport. Here we have many regional variations of wrestling, Judo is extremely popular. Rugby more so, very often you will read that a thief/criminal has been taken down with a rugby tackle which will involve more than just a take down. Most men and increasingly women here have played rugby at some time or another.
This video isn't of 'the general population' at all it's between a security guard and a criminal going toe to toe and you have to ask why! Why on earth would a 'highly trained' security guard be going at it like that with a criminal? Lunacy. Again though it proves nothing.
Striking is something that a lot of people aren't confident with, they watch boxers, kick boxers and martial arts films but confidence in their own striking isn't as much as you would think, and that comes from experience of many years teaching beginners.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grappling around on the floor for fun is something most parents do with their children ( couples do it too), ends up with tickling of course but it's a more natural thing. We don't go around thumping people just for fun but will wrestle/grapple just for a laugh.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would also like to add that grappling can save you if you're dealing with someone who is unfamiliar with it. Honestly that's a bigger portion of the population than those unfamiliar with striking. Far more people know how to punch and kick than to grapple or throw. Simply the nature of the beast.

The best example I've seen of this was a pretty highly trained security guard going against some untrained thug in a street brawl;

The unskilled striker was still able trade blows significantly well with more skilled striker. Why? Because the principles of striking are simply more familiar to the general population than grappling is.

it wont save you in sparring because the other guy will also know the grapple.

if you are being disadvantaged by striking. You don't stop throwing strikes.

because at the very least they set up good grappling.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hanzou, the guy got his *** absolutely handed to him. Had it carried on he could and probably would have been seriously injured - going by the strikes landed ratio between the two.

Any untrained fighter with a rough idea of what to do in a confrontation can sometimes get away with being less trained - THAT'S really the nature of the beast. I've been put on the ground when free sparring a few times myself, but I've survived without tapping out occassionally. Okay, not always and I don't look particularly competent on the ground with an experienced grappler but neither did that guy fighting with the police officer.

Oh, I never said that the guy didn't get his *** handed to him. However, the more skilled striker didn't put him away either. I was also struck by how many blows the cop simply missed. We don't know what would have happened if the fight had continued. It could have very well continued for several more minutes if people hadn't came in there and separated them.

My point is that striking is simply more familiar to more people than grappling is, and when trading blows with someone of equal or greater size and strength, that familiarity decreases your advantages. In that case, grappling can save you.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I never said that the guy didn't get his *** handed to him. However, the more skilled striker didn't put him away either. I was also struck by how many blows the cop simply missed. We don't know what would have happened if the fight had continued. It could have very well continued for several more minutes if people hadn't came in there and separated them.

My point is that striking is simply more familiar to more people than grappling is, and when trading blows with someone of equal or greater size and strength, that familiarity decreases your advantages. In that case, grappling can save you.

I see my points are ignored lol, guess I've been sent to Coventry. Oh dear how sad never mind.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess this obvious truth that more people are familiar with striking than with grappling comes from the same source that saw fit to inform about 80% of all fights going the the ground...

Must be a fun parallell universe out there somewhere. :rolleyes:

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually........the principles of grappling are probably more familiar to the 'general population' than 'striking'. Kids roll around with each other all the time, wrestling has been a staple of television for decades, first the 'normal' sort then the WWE type, I believe in North America wrestling is an extremely popular sport. Here we have many regional variations of wrestling, Judo is extremely popular. Rugby more so, very often you will read that a thief/criminal has been taken down with a rugby tackle which will involve more than just a take down. Most men and increasingly women here have played rugby at some time or another.

I disagree. Example:

In this case we have some "backyard wrestlers" going against a Bjj blackbelt. The difference in skill, and the dominating ability of the black belt is readily apparent. So while people may enjoy to roll around with their buddies, that doesn't get you very far against a skilled grappler.

Striking is something that a lot of people aren't confident with, they watch boxers, kick boxers and martial arts films but confidence in their own striking isn't as much as you would think, and that comes from experience of many years teaching beginners.

I wasn't talking about confidence. I was talking about familiarity.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hanzou - I forget it it's been already covered, but what's your personal experience sparring with women?

I don't have much unfortunately. In my experience women don't feel comfortable with the physical contact level of grappling. This even extends to female family members who were curious about Jiujitsu, yet weren't really comfortable when I showed them standard positions.

kodora81

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't have much unfortunately. In my experience women don't feel comfortable with the physical contact level of grappling. This even extends to female family members who were curious about Jiujitsu, yet weren't really comfortable when I showed them standard positions.

No, I'm curious about your 10+ years in Shotokan karate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again with the videos and again with the twisting of words.

You stated " My point is that striking is simply more familiar to more people than grappling is",
I replied that wrestling/grappling is more familiar to people and explained why.
You come back with a video and saying that with a backyard grappler against a BJJ player the difference is apparent. So, what's that got to do with the price of fish?
then you said " I wasn't talking about confidence. I was talking about familiarity." No, you weren't but I was. it was a comment I added. It's not all about you.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's going to be news to the hundreds of thousands or so women who do Judo, BJJ, JJ and wrestling around the world. It may however say something about your methods of teaching.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I'm curious about your 10+ years in Shotokan karate.

Oh, I mistook sparring for grappling. My mistake.

My experience is quite similar to Hussaf's on the first page. I was capable of simply overpowering higher ranked female partners throughout my years in karate.

kodora81

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I mistook sparring for grappling. My mistake.

My experience is quite similar to Hussaf's on the first page. I was capable of simply overpowering higher ranked female partners throughout my years in karate.

I'm curious as to why you haven't said this until asked.

And now I'm curious as to the purpose of this thread. According to you, women suck at striking and at grappling. Other than bashing on women in MA, what is it you're trying to prove?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

And now I'm curious as to the purpose of this thread. According to you, women suck at striking and at grappling. Other than bashing on women in MA, what is it you're trying to prove?
Damn there is another +rep I can't give lol

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree. Example:

In this case we have some "backyard wrestlers" going against a Bjj blackbelt. The difference in skill, and the dominating ability of the black belt is readily apparent. So while people may enjoy to roll around with their buddies, that doesn't get you very far against a skilled grappler.

Didn't we already go through this in another thread?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oh his intent is clear enough and has been for some time, at least to me.

Sometimes I picture some posters foaming at the mouth while they type their responses. Always gets a little chuckle out of me.
:troll:

Last edited:

Latest Discussions