In the grand scheme - how unimportant our differences are.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My friend, Shawn, who was a student of mine thirty years ago, but has now been one of my teachers for five years, runs a fighting and fitness gym.
Just got a call an hour ago, he collapsed in the gym Tuesday night. Two nurses were in class and immediately started CPR. Ambulance came, he was a goner. They defibbed him and brought him back. Three damn times. Made it to the hospital and saved him. (I have no details)
He's one of those guys who never smoked or drank, always ate for fitness and health, and was in better shape than anyone I know. Just a beast. I'll be heading to his gym tonight to see if they need any help.

But it got me to thinking on how lucky we all are, and how stupid and unimportant our petty differences concerning training really are. I mean, really, we all love the same thing.

I should be used to this stuff because of my age, we all lose friends and family, but I always think the ones that take the best care of themselves will make it the longest, but I'm usually proved wrong.
I just needed to post this and yak, needed someone to talk to. Thanks for listening.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this reminder. These kind of situations often leave us taking stock and measure. PM sent.

Regards
Brian King

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
But it got me to thinking on how lucky we all are, and how stupid and unimportant our petty differences concerning training really are. I mean, really, we all love the same thing.

The differences are important and at the same time meaningless. I don''t know of a better or more succinct way to put it.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Human nature will get us every time, if we let it. Thanks for sharing.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hope you friend recovers with no ill effects.

Your right we need to look outside of our own perspective on life sometimes and realize how much others mean to us and how much we may mean to others.
Our differences in training or beliefs in many things are small compared to what life is

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hope you friend recovers with no ill effects.

Your right we need to look outside of our own perspective on life sometimes and realize how much others mean to us and how much we may mean to others.
Our differences in training or beliefs in many things are small compared to what life is

Buka

I meant to express the same thing earlier in my post, I hope your friend recovers with no ill effects.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My friend, Shawn, who was a student of mine thirty years ago, but has now been one of my teachers for five years, runs a fighting and fitness gym.
Just got a call an hour ago, he collapsed in the gym Tuesday night. Two nurses were in class and immediately started CPR. Ambulance came, he was a goner. They defibbed him and brought him back. Three damn times. Made it to the hospital and saved him. (I have no details)
He's one of those guys who never smoked or drank, always ate for fitness and health, and was in better shape than anyone I know. Just a beast. I'll be heading to his gym tonight to see if they need any help.

Very true.

I hope all turns out well

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your thoughts and well wishes, you guys are the best. Means a lot to me.

My buddy's out of the hospital, and actually back at the gym hanging out. He won't be back to training for a while, they're making him go to cardiac rehab first, probably next week or sometime after

They rushed him to the nearest hospital, did an emergency procedure putting in several stents, then transfered him to Boston's top cardiac unit at Brighams and Womens, where they did something else.(I forget what) His wife is a cardiac nurse there - which is certainly a plus health wise, but not so much a plus because he ain't going to be able cut no corners getting back.

He's the fittest guy I know, which I'm sure helped him survive this ordeal, as did his young age, barely fifty, but when he went down he cracked his skull on the weights he was standing next to. I guess that complicated things and was partially why he went into arrest several times. He doesn't remember anything, but his head hurts and his chest (bull chest) is very sore from all the compressions.

From what I gather, the heart thing is from birth, but never raised it's ugly head before. I find that odd as he trains harder than anyone I know, and he's been doing it all day and night for as long as I remember. And he's always traveling, trains Muay Thai in Thailand every year, trains kick boxing in Amsterdam every year, works as a corner man in MMA, boxing, etc, all over the place, works as a promoter in Asia and Europe, teaches in South Africa. I remember a couple years ago, I left his gym on a Wednesday night and we were going to hook up Saturday afternoon for some grappling. He e-mails me on Friday and has to reschedule because he got an emergency call and is now in Korea working Butterbeans corner. (say what you want about Butterbean, but that man can fight) He's been doing all this stuff for years, I just thank God he went down here, near Boston's hospitals. I shudder to think how it might have been elsewhere.

Because he travels so much, there's always people filling in, but it's usually planned well in advance. I'm going to take over his kids MMA classes a couple days a week and a few bag and conditioning classes. I've not taught MMA to kids before, and I don't know their ages,(I forgot to ask) my guess would be teenagers, but we'll see.

Again, thank you all so much for your kind thoughts. It really rattled me when he went down.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Buka. Glad he is on the mend. How is his wife doing? Must be tough to be in that profession and have an emergency hit so very close to home. She is likely going to be worried at every training trip and work out. Both it seems to me are in for a really tough time of huge adjustments and both will need their support systems in place and working.

Have fun with the kids class. I have not taught a lot of kids classes but one piece of advice that i received years ago has stood me (and the youngsters) in good steed. It was more a caution that advice. We can often see the young adult that a young person is becoming or has the potential to become. It is important during training to realize and honor that they are still children and let them grow into the adult in their own time. Meaning that combative and competition training needs to fun, educational beyond the short term training, challenging to their current level, and fun (twice on purpose) It is important to see both, the youngster and the adult and to guide and coach both. Does that make sense?

Big fan of Butterbean.

Good luck and please keep us informed if you can.

Regards
Brian King

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glad to hear hes doing better and has a wife to keep him from cutting corners.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Such wisdom; I agree wholeheartedly. We all desire the same end goal, but there are many roads to Rome.

Thank you for this post, Buka. May your friend recover quickly and get right back in the thick of it!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
didn't see this when it happened, Buka, and I'm sorry I didn't comment. It sounds like your friend was lucky indeed. Lucky to be where he was, and to have so many great friends and family around to support him through his recovery.