Are lapel grabs realistic attacks?

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lapel grabs are useful in pulling guard and keeping your opponent from posturing up. And then using them to render them unconscious.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a cleaner entry from a different lineage. I personally teach it with the low kick blended to stepping in, striking the inside of the knee first to disrupt his balance and stretch him out a bit (elongation), raking the foot down the inside of the shin on the way to the floor to collect his thoughts away from what my upper body is fixin to do, and stomping the foot to the ground authroitatively with his toes or arch in the way, just to rub salt in the wound annd keep his attention distracted. The first strike with the hands is timed to make contact to his head at the same time the foot stomp hits.

Additionally, target selection matters quite a bit. A hammerfist to the cheekbone is wasted time...too soft a weapon (for beginners...this is a white belt technique in American Kenpo) to too non-critical of a target. I aim for the temporomandibular joint and thrust my blow rearward and accross his midline & down to a space behind his right shoulder, and rake the weapon across the bad guys gace to whip his head at the neck, effecting a whiplash to mess with his vision, balance, and posture. Makes for a nice opening move to end an initial assault. Also ends up counting as "attacking his nervous system" by going after vestibular and proprioceptive effects, instead of just blunt trauma.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's a cleaner entry from a different lineage. I personally teach it with the low kick blended to stepping in, striking the inside of the knee first to disrupt his balance and stretch him out a bit (elongation), raking the foot down the inside of the shin on the way to the floor to collect his thoughts away from what my upper body is fixin to do, and stomping the foot to the ground authroitatively with his toes or arch in the way, just to rub salt in the wound annd keep his attention distracted. The first strike with the hands is timed to make contact to his head at the same time the foot stomp hits.

Additionally, target selection matters quite a bit. A hammerfist to the cheekbone is wasted time...too soft a weapon (for beginners...this is a white belt technique in American Kenpo) to too non-critical of a target. I aim for the temporomandibular joint and thrust my blow rearward and accross his midline & down to a space behind his right shoulder, and rake the weapon across the bad guys gace to whip his head at the neck, effecting a whiplash to mess with his vision, balance, and posture. Makes for a nice opening move to end an initial assault. Also ends up counting as "attacking his nervous system" by going after vestibular and proprioceptive effects, instead of just blunt trauma.

D.
Very nice!!!

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like Mace of Aggression. The principle of Purposeful Compliance (Yielding to pressure an opponent exerts against your body in order to utilize the force exerted against them) is wonderful. I however teach it differently than what some have posted. I utilize an inward downward diagonal raking back knuckle, striking the opponent's temple, eye, bridge of the nose. That motion carries downward and ends up striking the opponent's left forearm (radial nerve) giving me a check on his height & width. I couple all of that with a right stomp to the opponents right foot.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like Mace of Aggression. The principle of Purposeful Compliance (Yielding to pressure an opponent exerts against your body in order to utilize the force exerted against them) is wonderful. I however teach it differently than what some have posted. I utilize an inward downward diagonal raking back knuckle, striking the opponent's temple, eye, bridge of the nose. That motion carries downward and ends up striking the opponent's left forearm (radial nerve) giving me a check on his height & width. I couple all of that with a right stomp to the opponents right foot.

Whatdoyaknow I have it the same way. ;)

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thats a bummer, I might have to show that to my instructor or just keep it in my arsenal as an extra tool.

B

Ok don't tell anybody this is a big secret but try #2 (usually against a punch) against a one or two hand lapel grab and see if you find any similarities in the two techniques. Now be warned there are people out there that will call this sacrelage and there are no such relations between the two (or other) systems of kenpo/kempo or any other such systems. But then again sometimes the proof is just staring ya right in the face. ;)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

D.
A little over reach but better.
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You better believe it!

Funny thing happened to a student of mine last Friday....and I was wondering why he wasn't in class....

He had his vehicle struck in a parking lot which escalated into a physical confrontation.

He was actually trying to be nice at the time as he was backing out of a space and noticed the car behind him doing the same so he stopped to allow them to go ahead.

They hit his car anyway. He got out to check the damage and the other fella' came out cussin' and fussin'.

My student asked the guy to calm down and pointed out there was no real damage, but he said it was a young guy (19-20 perhaps) and he had his friends with him so I can imagine the fella was puttin' on a show for his homies.

He made the mistake of grabbing my student's jacket and yanking him in. My student said all he could remember thinking was "Mace of Aggression." LOL

Anyway, the poor boy dropped with the initial punch. My student said he couldn't have pulled him into the follow up elbow even if he wanted.... he said the guy went completely limp when he connected with his chin and dropped straight to the ground. ROFL

He said the guys buddies were like "Holy....!" My student helped them load the unconcious ill-tempered dude back into his car before they all left. Hey, I teach my students to be courteous after all...

BTW...he's a yellow belt who was just introduced to the technique "Mace of Aggression" a few weeks ago! Nice to see he's been practicing.

Great story!! I'm glad that your student is ok. As for the nature of the attack...yes, I agree it is a very realistic attack. What I like about that, is the fact that the bad guy ties up one or in this case, both of his hands. Pin those hands and basically you're free to punish them at will. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on now...EVERYBODY knows that kenpo and other TMA's don't work in real life because NOBODY grabs your clothing...I mean you NEVER see two MMA guys try a lapel grab. REAL fights start with both people squaring off from 8-10 feet away in speedos with a guy yelling "Let's get it on!"

:)

LMAO!!! Yes, and don't forget, if its not on tape, it never happened. Proof dammit....its all about the proof. :)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Come on now...EVERYBODY knows that kenpo and other TMA's don't work in real life because NOBODY grabs your clothing...I mean you NEVER see two MMA guys try a lapel grab. REAL fights start with both people squaring off from 8-10 feet away in speedos with a guy yelling "Let's get it on!"

:)

Well I'll never get into a"real fight." Speedos? No way brother. Not on my fat ***.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Showed this little move to some of the guys at the dojo last night. They were all really impressed.

We worked SD drills last night and I supprised the black belt by using this one instead of one of my regulars and he was like "holy crap! who taught you that". So I explained it and we worked it together with one of the green belts.

B

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I'll never get into a"real fight." Speedos? No way brother. Not on my fat ***.

You mean you don't want to be "Super Fly" :roflmao: :asian: :asian: :asian:

SUPER-FLY-DAY-2-2a.jpg

Latest Discussions