Are lapel grabs realistic attacks?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
You better believe it!

Funny thing happened to a student of mine last Friday....and I was wondering why he wasn't in class....

He had his vehicle struck in a parking lot which escalated into a physical confrontation.

He was actually trying to be nice at the time as he was backing out of a space and noticed the car behind him doing the same so he stopped to allow them to go ahead.

They hit his car anyway. He got out to check the damage and the other fella' came out cussin' and fussin'.

My student asked the guy to calm down and pointed out there was no real damage, but he said it was a young guy (19-20 perhaps) and he had his friends with him so I can imagine the fella was puttin' on a show for his homies.

He made the mistake of grabbing my student's jacket and yanking him in. My student said all he could remember thinking was "Mace of Aggression." LOL

Anyway, the poor boy dropped with the initial punch. My student said he couldn't have pulled him into the follow up elbow even if he wanted.... he said the guy went completely limp when he connected with his chin and dropped straight to the ground. ROFL

He said the guys buddies were like "Holy....!" My student helped them load the unconcious ill-tempered dude back into his car before they all left. Hey, I teach my students to be courteous after all...

BTW...he's a yellow belt who was just introduced to the technique "Mace of Aggression" a few weeks ago! Nice to see he's been practicing.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am just learning Kenpo and I love "Mace of Aggression." Thanks for a great story. Yeah, THAT's martial courtesy all right! ;) Sounds like he's really internalized that technique!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love it!

There's plenty of good documented research on the frequency of grabs (including lapel grabs) as violence initiators in street attacks, and yes, they really do occur a lot. Probably the single most common move to begin an assault is a grab-and-punch. Train students to react fast and hard to the main grabs, and you've probably given them most of what they need to go home in one piece... the other guy, not so much! :lol:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D

Now, now. We've all been told many times that Martial Art's don't work 'on the street' ... :angel: :lol:.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen several lapel grabs, had someone try one on me and also used it a couple of times myself way back in the day. Practicing defense for a lapel grab is definitely important!
icon6.gif

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm also not familiar with this term/technique.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Found this on YouTube:

Mace of Aggression

Ahhh. I use a back-fast to the beak. Then I take a step back and twist wrists one way or the other. But the MoA will certainly mess up someone's day too.

As to the specific terminology, does Mace of Aggression have Asian roots or is that a convention of American Kenpo?

Last edited by a moderator:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lapel grabs apply to many situations, not merely someone grabbing your lapel. The same defenses often can be used against a push or shove, or even a punch to the chest.

OP
celtic_crippler

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Repetition is the key.

We'd been working that tech all week so it was kinda' ironic that he would be attacked that way when he was. Bad timing for Mr. Temper. LOL

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Come on now...EVERYBODY knows that kenpo and other TMA's don't work in real life because NOBODY grabs your clothing...I mean you NEVER see two MMA guys try a lapel grab. REAL fights start with both people squaring off from 8-10 feet away in speedos with a guy yelling "Let's get it on!"

:)

Latest Discussions