Disciplining the students

O

Old Warrior

Here's a twist. I am the only adult in my Kumdo class of 10. Most of the students are between 14-17. To make matters even more interesting, the instructor (a 7th Dan and quite well known) speaks only Korean and I am the only student who doesn't.

Not only am I forced to rely on the senior students to teach me the basics of what I need to know, but I am totally dependent on them to translate.

This is my first introduction to Korean culture and Koreans. All I can say is that I never met a collection of more genuinely helpful and polite young adults. They have their rambunctious moments, but they have have made a 54 year old feel welcome and part of their class. I've been extremely impressed.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Old Warrior
Here's a twist. I am the only adult in my Kumdo class of 10. Most of the students are between 14-17. To make matters even more interesting, the instructor (a 7th Dan and quite well known) speaks only Korean and I am the only student who doesn't.

Not only am I forced to rely on the senior students to teach me the basics of what I need to know, but I am totally dependent on them to translate.

This is my first introduction to Korean culture and Koreans. All I can say is that I never met a collection of more genuinely helpful and polite young adults. They have their rambunctious moments, but they have have made a 54 year old feel welcome and part of their class. I've been extremely impressed.

That's Great Old Warrior!~! Sure is nice to hear about the good side of youngsters.. because I believe everyone has something to offer no matter what their age is.. I know I've had a few of the little tots in class whisper something so wonderful it makes me smile from the inside out.. :) Good for them for making you feel welcome and part of their class.. Just goes to show... Age doesn't make the person.. ~!!

I'm the oldest female in our school and It doesn't bring me down.. if anything I'm the youngest acting one out of the adult class.. well.. other than Stick Dummy.. but hey.. he's only a year younger than me.. :)

Best for your Journey~!!

Respectfully,
Tess

C

Crazy Chihuahua

I believe everyone has something to offer no matter what their age is..
Certainly true. They say to teach is to learn, twice. Since you have to teach kids things soooo many times some days, we all learn way more teaching kids than adults....

S

stacks

nice story. I think all schools have their fair share of these kids
it is good that you do not let the parents being there stop your way of handing out the punishment. at our school we go into to what I call the thinking position (I learned this one in the millitary)
have the child get into a push up position (toes on the floor not on the knees) but you have them put their elbows on the floor not the hands. then tell them to rest their chins in their hands then lift the entire body off the floor (the only thing touching the floor is the toes and elbows) while in this painful position have them maintain it for 30 seconds or until all the whining and groaning stops. ENJOY

stacks :asian:

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An update on Bubby.. He's doing Great~!! He's memorized verbatim the Kenpo Creed.. and is working hard on learning the first 5 yellow belt tecs.. I'm pretty proud of him ~! Last night he sparred isometrically with another boy his age and they both showed control and good sportsmanship.. this is something I was hoping to attain and by the smile on his mother's face.. She's pretty happy about the turn-around in her son :)

Discipline is a good thing ~!

Tess

K

KenpoGirl

It's great that you've had such a positive responce from your student Tess. Must make you feel proud that they are learning positively from you.

Stacks, there must be an advantage for you to have your fiance Jules as a partner in your dojo, just like Seig and Tess have each other. I bet its a big help to have someone to run the business with as a partner so everything is not just on you. Including disipline. :)

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it sure is a good feeling Dot :) The kid's class is growing daily and each new student is such a little person with their own ideas and ways already set in motion.. even our youngest little guy, a 4 yr old, who at first we didn't think would make it the first week.. it's been months now and he is doing fantastic.. :) Found he really does well one on one or paired up with 9 yr olds who he emulates.. stick him with 5 and 6 yr olds .. they tend to play and not pay attention..
so part of running a school is not only the business end.. that's par for the course.. but using a bit of good ole psychology and common sense when it comes to student behavior :)

And to your comment to Stacks.. Seig and I make a great team.. like PB & J.. :)

S

stacks

Originally posted by KenpoGirl

Stacks, there must be an advantage for you to have your fiance Jules as a partner in your dojo, just like Seig and Tess have each other. I bet its a big help to have someone to run the business with as a partner so everything is not just on you. Including disipline. :) [/B]

KenpoGirl

it is great to have Jules in my personal and professional life
we work well off each other and both enjoy a little sparring off once in awhile, just to let out a little steam and make sure we are not getting to soft :rofl:

stacks and jules :yinyang:

Latest Discussions