Anti-Grappling

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
fightingfat said:
Not as far as I know meanie. I think Chuck has great anti-grappling skills and that's pretty much how I train for it!

I'm with Andrew Green on this one but thanks for the info! :)

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's true. No Anti Grappling. It is just a way to deal with locks and grabs from former Jujitus and wrestlers who took striking systems as their art. It is very dissapointing that current martial arts are for profitable purposes where the quality and sincerity of teaching is diminishing every day. they know how people think by watching UFC, pride, K1, Vale Tudo, and any of these matches. That's why I don't really beleive in UFC matches any more. It became more as an entertaiment more than martial arts contest.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
It is very dissapointing that current martial arts are for profitable purposes where the quality and sincerity of teaching is diminishing every day.

Quality and profit are not mutually exclussive.

People looking for something effective will find it, and the level of training at those places is going up becasue they are competing with each other.

People that want to run around in fancy Pj's yelling things in another language and doing little dances, but never actually sparring will find that too, and hose places are getting better at delivering it.

People wanting to find their chi and seek peaceful enlightenment will find places trying to offer that.

People wanting a long lineage and established system from somewhere in Asia will find that too. Although some of these people seem to get frustrated with the state of their system as they came in with inaccurate expectations...

Everything else, and everything in the middle is available too. People can find whatever they are looking for, and the state of things is quite good and improving IMO.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Quality and profit are not mutually exclussive.

People looking for something effective will find it, and the level of training at those places is going up becasue they are competing with each other.

People that want to run around in fancy Pj's yelling things in another language and doing little dances, but never actually sparring will find that too, and hose places are getting better at delivering it.

People wanting to find their chi and seek peaceful enlightenment will find places trying to offer that.

People wanting a long lineage and established system from somewhere in Asia will find that too. Although some of these people seem to get frustrated with the state of their system as they came in with inaccurate expectations...

Everything else, and everything in the middle is available too. People can find whatever they are looking for, and the state of things is quite good and improving IMO.

Well said. :asian:

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
"Anti-grappling" is a marketing term some people have used to capitalize on a bunch of people's realization that they have no viable defence against someone trying to take them down, but don't want to actually learn how to grapple.

Great point!!

White Fox

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5421521893915752114

Emin Boztepe's fight with William Cheung. I don't think his grappling skills are all that great from this example...

Also have my doubts as to this anti-grappling, he went takedown to ground and pound in this fight, but I've not seen much else of him fighting...

I watched that Karate guy and the BJJ guy spar on one of those side video's. That Karate guy had no idea what to do on the ground. He was a fly in a spiders web!

I'm very happy my sifu teaches us groundfighting!!

Latest Discussions