American Kenpo and XMA do not mix!

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Title says it all

I really don't want to see this at the next tournament I am judging
I already get a lot of "XMA" and I really don't want to see it "American Kenpo'ised"
Please tell me you guys don't see this at tournaments where you are either...please!!!

[video=youtube_share;jIENm766dEQ]http://youtu.be/jIENm766dEQ[/video]

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I wasn't impressed.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree, nothing "Xtreme" about that (i.e. no gymnastics, crazy costumes, etc). Although the last few seconds looked like something from west side story.. .

However, I agree with the OP in that I don't wish to see XMA at my tournaments.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Title says it all

I really don't want to see this at the next tournament I am judging
I already get a lot of "XMA" and I really don't want to see it "American Kenpo'ised"
Please tell me you guys don't see this at tournaments where you are either...please!!!

Looked more like a kenpo guy who "karatezied" his form to be able to compete in hard style Japanese/Korean forms divisions rather than an XMA division.

And no I didn't like it.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have XMA at my school and I personally think it's a big waste of time. It's not practical and honestly doesn't look that impressive to me. Luckily the only ones that actually practice the XMA stuff is the young kids, I guess if it keeps them actively training and out of trouble more power to them.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I consider XMA to be the same type of thing as performance wushu. Cool to look at, very athletic, and I would be perfectly happy with my kids doing it, but don't sell it as having a self-defense purpose. My older son is in gymnastics, which I consider to be pretty much the same thing, he has fun, is learning to cool flips, is getting fit, and learning a good kinesthetic sense. And to be honest, most of the "kiddie karate" that is out there, even if traditionally oriented, are really not teaching good self-defense skills anyway.

The down side of participating in tournaments with XMA divisions is you get conversations like this:

my wife: "you should do a flip in form."
me: "no, I shouldn't."
my wife: "it would look cool"
me: "and silly, and in that division you apparently have to yell alot, strain like you are going to have an aneurysm, and pose like in a video game.'
my wife: "it would look cool"
me: "aarrgh."

Latest Discussions