Agendas, Kenpo Associations, & Grandmasters

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have only been in martial arts for about 1.5 years.

I had always wanted kenpo to be the art I studied becasue i my own philosophies in self defense. I almost went another direction when I started reading the forums and saw such political BS. I joined a kenpo school and have been happy since, but I have been reluctant to post or engage in any lenghthy discussions just to avoid conflict.

One of the gentleman that had me skeptical of the kenpo communty in the beginning, made a lasting impression on me the other night. On April 15 2003 I had a brief discussion with a next generation Sr. This man made me feel very welcome to the entire kenpo community and invited me to come learn from him, at least in a seminar. I am now planning to be there. His generosity seemed genuine and straight forward.

This is the type of Kenpo Brotherhood I wish was displayed more often. I am glad you had a great experience. It is tough to try to express any type of feeling about an positive experience on this or any board if you make comparisons of any kind. Someone will always feel like they are being put down when compared.

Salute.

JD

K

Kirk

Originally posted by JD_Nelson
I have only been in martial arts for about 1.5 years.

I had always wanted kenpo to be the art I studied becasue i my own philosophies in self defense. I almost went another direction when I started reading the forums and saw such political BS. I joined a kenpo school and have been happy since, but I have been reluctant to post or engage in any lenghthy discussions just to avoid conflict.

One of the gentleman that had me skeptical of the kenpo communty in the beginning, made a lasting impression on me the other night. On April 15 2003 I had a brief discussion with a next generation Sr. This man made me feel very welcome to the entire kenpo community and invited me to come learn from him, at least in a seminar. I am now planning to be there. His generosity seemed genuine and straight forward.

This is the type of Kenpo Brotherhood I wish was displayed more often. I am glad you had a great experience. It is tough to try to express any type of feeling about an positive experience on this or any board if you make comparisons of any kind. Someone will always feel like they are being put down when compared.

Salute.

JD

You should see the sense of community and family among the
IKCA. And call Vic LeRoux on the phone. It's unbelievable.

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Vic has been a long time friend. Even since my own beginings (in the mid 1980's), both him and Chuck Sullivan have been nothing short of approachable and generous. Absolutely good people!

Respectfully,

WI, HI
UKS

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dun Ringill
Is anybody else getting tired of listening to Wes Idol? Mr. Idol maybe you should go back to the kenponet. I read the way you treated Mr. Conatser and now Mr. Billings and your lack of protocol and respect makes me sick.

In an attempt to honor your feelings and position, I will say that it has never been my intention to support the promotion of disrespect on these public forums, or on any forums. And finally, my apology for playing apart in your opinion.

With that said, it saddens me that you have only seen it in my posts. With Michael Billings, clearly he posted something, and meant not entirely what I read into...he sees it that way as well. Regarding Dennis Connatser, I invite you to re-read his post. Although he believes he has all the facts, he uses sarcasm to support his dialogue and then takes no credit for communicating that way. In this instance, I don't let people off the hook.

With my willingness to call people on their B.S., I too try to keep myself in check. I am very available, should someone desire to keep me accountable...which is why I always use my real name and share my school's address.

Respectfully,

WI, HI
UKS

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Michael Billings
Given the responses to my post, they may actually make an effort to come and get me. If so I am heading South to the coast.

Did you notice that within 24 hours this thread got over 600 "Views" - not 600 people, but looked at over 600 times. But only 36 responses (at that time.) Lots of interest apparently, but some hesitancy about jumping in the water. I would say the water is fine, but you can see for yourself, sometimes it gets a little chilly. Other times it is great for swimming.

Oss All,
-Michael

If you come, you'll be safe here. I don't even think the Goldendragon will come here, he hates the humidity!

Yep, I'm very hesitant to get into these conversations, though I'm just a 21 year rookie, so I have lots to learn yet. It's safer on the side lines waiting for the coach to put me in!

Well, watch out for sharks when swimming!:eek:

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter
I have a few questions I hope some of you guys who have been around awhile can hopefully answer......

1) How long was Mr Parker training before he earned his black belt?

2) How long was Mr Parker at the art when he decided to break off and impliment his own system of kenpo?

3) How long at the art was he when he donned a 10th?

These have probably been beat to death, but this would definately put some things in perspective for me :)

Thanks
Brian

Hi folks!
Brian asked me these questions this morning so I thought i'd answer them here as well...

1.Mr. Parker did indeed receive his black belt from Prof. Chow and the actual certificate he received is featured in the "Memories of Ed Parker" book. I'm in the process of relocating my studio so if someone would be so kind as to look and place the date on this thread?
2.Mr. Parker on several occasions tried to get Prof. Chow to come to the mainland with no sucess. He would also look at certain techniques and from his past experience on the streets of the kalihi district and see that some of the movements were not practical ,per se, in modern encounters. As far as offically when it happened, I'd probably say the 1960's where the actual "parting of the ways" occured.
3.The approximate date that Mr. Parker donned the tenth Degree Black Belt was subsiquent to the creation and completion of what was originally titled "Advanced Kenpo". However, Jay T. Will had recently published a book with that titile, So, Mr. Parker used "infinite insights into kenpo". That was his "masterpiece".

I think what Brian is trying to get to is that Ed Parker had a logical progression in regards to his rank promotions and agenda for the requirements he had for his ranks.
at one point some of his students got together and said to Mr. Parker "Mr. Parker, we feel that you should wear the Tenth Degree Black Belt." He got very offended and said to the person "I'LL tell YOU when i'm ready to wear a tenth!"
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Michael,

I wanted to thank you for your recommendation to train with Mr. Burks. I have attended several of his classes although very sporatic due to my location and work schedule. It is a pleasure to train where the only goal is to learn. Mr. Burks does not criticize my style or techniques, abilities, only offers great instruction for me to take or leave. I must say great stick material.

Thanks again

Jeff Nelson

L

lonekimono

Guys i got to tell you this is better than tv,it's like i can't wait to come back and see who's going to get it next(lol)?
but look keep it going,than AFTER everything is done,everything is said, take a step back and look at it,than look at yourself.
you know 10 years from now who cares? hey guys lets put the power you have in this bullsh@# and put it to something better.

yours in kenpo::confused:

B

Billy Lear

Originally posted by lonekimono
Guys i got to tell you this is better than tv,it's like i can't wait to come back and see who's going to get it next(lol)?
but look keep it going,than AFTER everything is done,everything is said, take a step back and look at it,than look at yourself.
you know 10 years from now who cares? hey guys lets put the power you have in this bullsh@# and put it to something better.

yours in kenpo::confused:

The power of B.S. is great indeed... hell cow farts are killing the ozone layer... maybe we could learn something from environmentalists after all... TO MUCH B.S. CAN KILL A PLANET!!! Put down the beans, and step away from the chilli guys. The atmosphere is gettin' bad in here. :shrug:

L

lonekimono

and the singer going sing a song,so let me introduce to you
the one and only Billy Lears of sgt.peppers ,,wait ,wait oh Sh#@
i'm sorry that Billy Spears (lol) well with a name like that you can't all be bad.:D

yours in kenpo

B

Billy Lear

The longer you shovel crap you start to smell like it. If you want to sling B.S. around at every one, and cause fights... then that is what you'll be famous for. If you want to be constructive and look past someone's faults (and not exploit them or make a big deal out of them) you might learn something.

In the last year I've developed a different prespective on this... Mostly, because I was wearing quite a bit of what I was shoveling...

All in all I believe we as martial artists should be open minded toward one another... and listen to what they are actually saying...

Mr. Conatser says he only knows of Mike Pick being promoted to tenth. That's a valid point, and is his experience (neither wrong or right, it just is). On the other hand Mr. Idol says that he has heard from many that Mr. Pick was a seventh degree black belt when Mr. Parker died (His expereince is as valid as Mr. Conatser's).

I called a couple of people about this, one of them being Mr. Trejo, and Mr. Trejo says the Mr. Parker introduced Mike Pick as being one of his seventh degree black belts at an instructors camp held at Barbara Hale's school in the late eighties.

Does that mean that Mr. Conatser is wong?
No. It just means that to his prior knowlege, Mr. Pick was not a seventh.

Does that mean that he must accept Mr. Trejo's recollection as the truth?
No. I don't think he does, that's between him, Mr. Trejo, and other various members of the Kenpo community.

I'm not calling anyone a liar, but I do have my own veresion of the truth as it relates to this topic... and the truth is: Frank Trejo told me that Mike Pick was a seventh before Mr. Parker died.

Does that mean he was?
I don't know I wasn't there, but I am definately compelled to believe my instructor. He hasn't lied to me yet. :asian:

R

Rob_Broad

Billy

Great post, I love the fact that you have that loyalty to your instructor. Mr. Trejo is by far one of the top guys in Kenpo today and he must be for you to be so loyal to him when it is the trend of the day for people to be stabbing people in the back.

You are lucky to have Mr. Trejo as your instructor, and I think is lucky to have you as a student.

L

lonekimono

hey Mr Billy i have to say this, IS ALL THIS SH#@ GOING TO CHANGE YOU OR ANYONE? LIKE MY LATE GRANDFATHER USE TO SAY "WHO CARES" you yourself and other's and myself must keep the flame burning, but enough is enough,
the only buning i got is in my chest from reading all this bullsh#@.

do you remember this?

KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW ,KNOW WHY IT'S SO.

YOURS IN KENPO:asian:

B

Billy Lear

Originally posted by lonekimono
hey Mr Billy i have to say this, IS ALL THIS SH#@ GOING TO CHANGE YOU OR ANYONE? LIKE MY LATE GRANDFATHER USE TO SAY "WHO CARES" you yourself and other's and myself must keep the flame burning, but enough is enough,
the only buning i got is in my chest from reading all this bullsh#@.

do you remember this?

KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW ,KNOW WHY IT'S SO.

YOURS IN KENPO:asian:

Mr. Kimono :D ,

All of this crap, is just that brother man. Why fight over something that nobody can really be right about? It doesn't matter who's right, but who's left, anyways...

peace,
Billy

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lonekimono,

As I once Pointed out on a thread somewhere, this is Martial TALK. Nothing else. If you are Talking about Martial matters then you are doing it right.

As to the merit of all this BS, it depends on which BS you are referring to. But I will tell you this- if there had been an internet in 1985 and I saw on there that Mr. Parker was teaching seminars in my area even though my instructor never publicized this and some of his instructors said that Mr. Parker only taught private lessons in his house in LA, then I would have been off to see for myself in a HEARTBEAT and instead of joining the IKKA in 1991 after Mr. Parker's death, I would have found a way to get more involved with Mr. Parker back then.

So there very well may be information on here that will change someone's life. That what all this information sharing is about.

I use MartialTalk for research and to confirm/deny rumors and what not. Others like to jump on here and cause or perpetuate trouble. Several of the latter persons have "left."

So while I appreciate that you think there may be some mudslinging going on, Billy made some excellent points earlier about people knowing only what they know.

Mr. Parker said that he gained much insight when considering a 3rd point of view. I think there are considerably more than 3 points of view on MartialTalk and I for one learn something even when someone slings mud. If nothing else, I learn that they like to sling mud. And has Billy has also pointed out, sometimes when you spread stuff around, some of it sticks on you.

I personally favor giving people all the rope they want. Some of them will take it and run. Some of them will make a noose and hang themselves.

You make a valid point about there being better things to do. But right now it is 12am, I am not in much condition to work on belt material right now but I might learn something here on MartialTalk. I just want to point out there there is merit in everything. Even bad food tells you that you don't want anymore. I appreciate you may be telling us that you don't want anymore, but no one is forcing you to read this stuff.

And by the way. I'm not commenting on any specific truth or rumors on this thread only that I hope no one becomes afraid to post here. While I have personally held some stuff back from posting (only to have Billy share it later in some cases) I would prefer everyone to ask and answer questions freely. That is all I'm saying.
:asian:

B

Billy Lear

You understood exactly what I meant. Thanks for the supportive post!

On the other hand... I won't share anymore e-mails, your secret about being the first 10th Degree Brown Belt is safe with me. :D

L

lonekimono

the only thing i could say is WOW, i don't know what you did before 1984 ? but let me say it like this.
Doug i had this problem a long time ago and when i told Mr Parker about it he said to me " George some people have a cup and they want to fill it up with water but it has a whole in the bottom,but they are to closed mined to know to put there thumb in the whole " it took me a long time to know what that meant?
you know if what i said on martial talk is "overkill" than i will take my leave and bow out and let the YOU my kenpo brother have the floor,because i'm to old for this as you say mud.

yours in kenpo:asian:
a rose is a rose,or is it? you do the math

Latest Discussions