Actual Fight

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Curious. I am wondering how many people have successfully used their art of choice, in a real fight situation. How successful was its use. Physical not emotional bushwash Zen.

Last edited:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Curious. I am wondering how many people have successfully used their art of choice, in a real fight situation. How successful was its use. Physical not emotional bushwash Zen.
been there done that. Actually, I try not to fight I'm getting old I got kids, most of the time fights are easy to avoid by avoiding bad areas, common sense, controlling your anger.

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
been there done that. Actually, I try not to fight I'm getting old I got kids, most of the time fights are easy to avoid by avoiding bad areas, common sense, controlling your anger.
That is not my question and goes without saying. I understand that the martial arts is mostly fantasy, but does your art work, when you need it? That is my question.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is not my question and goes without saying. I understand that the martial arts is mostly fantasy, but does your art work, when you need it? That is my question.

Whoa, hold up there a minute. Just what makes you think that marital arts is 'mostly' fantasy? Two experienced martial artists have just given you an answer and the fact you don't like their answers doesn't mean you can throw phrases like 'martial arts are mostly fantasy' at them.
What is your experience in martial arts an what are the reasons for posting the OP?

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Whoa, hold up there a minute. Just what makes you think that marital arts is 'mostly' fantasy? Two experienced martial artists have just given you an answer and the fact you don't like their answers doesn't mean you can throw phrases like 'martial arts are mostly fantasy' at them.
What is your experience in martial arts an what are the reasons for posting the OP?
I didn't disagree with their comment, I couldn't, simply because they didn't answer mine. Therefore...no insult on my part.

As for the fantasy part- that was misunderstood, not meant to be an insult. What I meant, is the fact that endless hours of training, utilizes picturing other opponents during solo training. My experience in the martial arts...hmmm..do you want dojo experiences or real life, as they are two entirely different things?

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am simply asking, how many have actually used the art, that they have dedicated their life to and is it effective in actual combat? It's a simple question concerning combat experience.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Depends what I need it to work for.
Can I apply something to break someone's arm yes, have I use it to defend myself yes.
Do I need my martial art to be able to fight no I don't, I have been in enough fights already so I know how to fight before I learned martial arts in fact just the opposite, I took martial arts to learn to relax and find peace of mind, already been in fights with gangs growing up so I know how to handle myself and I took the most pussified arts rather them some combative what ever because at the end of the day it's not the art it's the person who knows how to use it

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Depends what I need it to work for.
Can I apply something to break someone's arm yes, have I use it to defend myself yes.
Do I need my martial art to be able to fight no I don't, I have been in enough fights already so I know how to fight before I learned martial arts in fact just the opposite, I took martial arts to learn to relax and find peace of mind, already been in fights with gangs growing up so I know how to handle myself and I took the most pussified arts rather them some combative what ever because at the end of the day it's not the art it's the person who knows how to use it
Agreed and You answered my next question. "Why do you train"?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Agreed and You answered my next question. "Why do you train"?
I train to better myself, to be a positive influence, to find peace of mind all that fairy farting stuff. I have caused enough people pain fighting and have seen enough pain so I'm not interested in it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am simply asking, how many have actually used the art, that they have dedicated their life to and is it effective in actual combat? It's a simple question concerning combat experience.
Yes, I have. So have quite a few others, in violent situations ranging from street attacks through law enforcement into military combat.

And I've used my art on occasion without hitting anyone... because the deflections, traps, and holds are part of the art. So is the verbal deescalation. Some styles are a bit more complete on these matters than others...

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I have. So have quite a few others, in violent situations ranging from street attacks through law enforcement into military combat.

And I've used my art on occasion without hitting anyone... because the deflections, traps, and holds are part of the art. So is the verbal deescalation. Some styles are a bit more complete on these matters than others...
Excellent...your art works for you. And is that why you train in your specific art.

I will say that, in my opinion, any physical contact made, is a hit.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My last decent one was a large aboriginal man who wanted me to go out into the car park to talk.

I belly to belly suplexed him and held him in side control untill he apologised for what he described as a misunderstanding i thought he said he was going to break my jaw. But apparently he just said he wanted to.

Any him and his friends left and spent the next hour and a half punching each other untill the cops rolled up.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've used karate in 3 fights. 2 of these fights was against people who didn't know a martial art, the third was against someone who knew karate and as better at it than I was.
First lesson learned is that there is a difference between knowing how to do something and knowing how to do something with power. I won the fight but my kicks were as effective as I thought they would be. Kicking a pad that someone is holding is not the same as kicking a moving target that gives and moves with the strike.

Second fight I learned the importance of staying alert as I was attacked from behind. That was my fastest fight.

My third fight was against another person who knew karate. While I didn't win that fight he did so I can account for him being able to be successful.

I haven't used Jow Ga in a fight yet. I think the only time I'll be using that is in in competitive fighting. Wife + Kids + in my 40's pretty much mean that I'm going to try an avoid getting into a fight, not because I don't want to fight but because now it's not just about me. I'm much better in Jow Ga than I was in Karate so I don't think I'll have those past issues come up again.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have. I have one fights before I realized we were fighting. Those are the best. One well timed move can end their whole world. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't disagree with their comment, I couldn't, simply because they didn't answer mine. Therefore...no insult on my part.

As for the fantasy part- that was misunderstood, not meant to be an insult. What I meant, is the fact that endless hours of training, utilizes picturing other opponents during solo training. My experience in the martial arts...hmmm..do you want dojo experiences or real life, as they are two entirely different things?
Visualization is not the same as fantasy, but I see your connection.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martialtalk, bro, hope you enjoy the place.

I don't know who said this, but I've always liked the quote - "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes you get rained out, but you gotta' suit up for them all."

Worked as a bouncer, a doorman, a bartender, concert security, a screw in an arrest unit, a security guy during forced busing, a bodyguard, a DT instructor, a professional kick boxer, and a career as a police officer. And I might have fewer actual fights than you do.

It's not "your art" that matters, it's you. YOU. "Your art of choice" has nothing, whatsoever, to do with how you utilize what you know.

Latest Discussions