Actual Fight

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not "your art" that matters, it's you. YOU. "Your art of choice" has nothing, whatsoever, to do with how you utilize what you know.

I think training has some benifits in a fight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Old MA saying said,

- train beats fast,
- fast beats slow,
- slow beats untrain.

Yeah. Not really the right comparison. You can get a gumby and train him and he will still get mauled by an untrained guy who is naturally athletic.

But the gumby will be better than if he had not trained. And even the athletic guy will be better if he trains.

Now the reason this is important is it is more productive to train a gumby than to hope he becomes naturally athletic.

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Really folks...I was just curious as to what drives people to train. I am not around a lot of people who train or even have an interest and thought it would be nice to see what motivates people. I agree that it's up to the student, hence the reason I didn't ask about a certain style. Next time I will be a little more sensitive concerning the words I use.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1) Yes I have
See I have answered your question. Oh wait you want examples. Maybe you need to present a better written question.
2) Others answered and stated without hitting and your replied Physical and not emotional.
This shows your complete lack of understanding of any martial art at all.
As you see, I can use range and to avoid getting hit.
I can slip and redirect their strikes.
I can lock and control the opponent and never hit them and still use my art.
3) I have been multiple on one, I have been empty handed with weapon and weapons presented towards me. I have had to deal with attack dogs. I have had to deal with vehicles. I have had too ..., heck when you can write a question that I can answer directly, I may. Otherwise search this site for my name and other responses and do some searching on your own for your answer.
4) Yes, this post could be seen as insulting, it is not meant that way. It is only a reflection of your posts. So if you meant to be insulting then I guess you could see this post that same way. So, no I am not trolling you, yet I have to wonder if you are trolling here, or seriously just so out of the know for understanding martial arts.

Sad I am. As either option is not good.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've used my training several times, both physical and psychological. Both have kept me safe. Physically, had a guy throw a punch, I was able to sidestep it, capture his punch hand and do a wrist reversal (kote gaeshi in Aikido, omote gyaku in kobudo/jujutsu) to put him on his ***. There were other time, but none that were pure martial arts form... although they employed elements of the training. Psychologically, I've been able to avoid fights by either deescalating or by intmidating people intending to do me harm.
I consider successful avoidance to be a bigger win for me than having to employ physical techniques. I'm sure most on this forum would concur.
I train primarily to better myself and stay in shape. The ability to hurt someone is a bonus. I could probably do yoga for the former, but don't want to be the "creepy middle aged guy" in the class.

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
1) Yes I have
See I have answered your question. Oh wait you want examples. Maybe you need to present a better written question.
2) Others answered and stated without hitting and your replied Physical and not emotional.
This shows your complete lack of understanding of any martial art at all.
As you see, I can use range and to avoid getting hit.
I can slip and redirect their strikes.
I can lock and control the opponent and never hit them and still use my art.
3) I have been multiple on one, I have been empty handed with weapon and weapons presented towards me. I have had to deal with attack dogs. I have had to deal with vehicles. I have had too ..., heck when you can write a question that I can answer directly, I may. Otherwise search this site for my name and other responses and do some searching on your own for your answer.
4) Yes, this post could be seen as insulting, it is not meant that way. It is only a reflection of your posts. So if you meant to be insulting then I guess you could see this post that same way. So, no I am not trolling you, yet I have to wonder if you are trolling here, or seriously just so out of the know for understanding martial arts.

Sad I am. As either option is not good.
By your response, after admitting my mistake, definitely shows that you have a lack of true understanding of the martial arts. I am sure, as experienced martial artist, those who commented really did know what I was asking. I stated that in my personal opinion, contact is a hit, Its simply my opinion. I am not insulted in the least by your comment. Its your opinion...Not gospel truth. It is clear that you are very insulted by my comment. I am not really into the mysticism associated with the martial arts. But that is probably due to my lack of religious belief. I believe the martial arts can build character and a strong frame of mind. As I stated previously, I will take your sensitivity into consideration with my future post.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe it's a case of sensitivity on your part.

I believe it's a case of asking a question with an agenda on yours.

I don't like feeding people's preconceived notions, and that's what my con detector tells me you're running here.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is not my question and goes without saying. I understand that the martial arts is mostly fantasy, but does your art work, when you need it? That is my question.

I dare you to go into any martial arts school or fight gym and say it's all fantasy and then once you've gained the ability to type again tell us how it went

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I dare you to go into any martial arts school or fight gym and say it's all fantasy and then once you've gained the ability to type again tell us how it went
All I can do is chuckle When I hear this kind of response. But, I realize that you didn't read my explanation concerning what I meant. Change fantasy to visualization. As for going into a fight club or dojo, why would that help? I have been to many and you are under the assumption that I do not train. As I have stated elsewhere...I think it's a sensitivity problem more than anything. Its really not that big of a deal to say fantasy.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By your response, after admitting my mistake, definitely shows that you have a lack of true understanding of the martial arts. I am sure, as experienced martial artist, those who commented really did know what I was asking. I stated that in my personal opinion, contact is a hit, Its simply my opinion. I am not insulted in the least by your comment. Its your opinion...Not gospel truth. It is clear that you are very insulted by my comment. I am not really into the mysticism associated with the martial arts. But that is probably due to my lack of religious belief. I believe the martial arts can build character and a strong frame of mind. As I stated previously, I will take your sensitivity into consideration with my future post.

And this shows your lack of understanding on forms and the internet and cross posting and typing while someone else is posting live.

:D

I am not insulted.
I have seen many like you come here and elsewhere, and try to tell world how they are right and get upset when people do not read their mind and know exactly what answer they want everyone else to write to validate them.

As to sensitivity, that is one of the keys I teach, is to be soft and to read your opponent. Stop by seminar or camp I am teaching at, introduce yourself and enjoy the training.

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
And this shows your lack of understanding on forms and the internet and cross posting and typing while someone else is posting live.

:D

I am not insulted.
I have seen many like you come here and elsewhere, and try to tell world how they are right and get upset when people do not read their mind and know exactly what answer they want everyone else to write to validate them.

As to sensitivity, that is one of the keys I teach, is to be soft and to read your opponent. Stop by seminar or camp I am teaching at, introduce yourself and enjoy the training.

I believe that you are just to sensitive and grasping at straws. I also believe that you completely went on the defensive way to quick. As for your seminar...sure. I am always open to trading ideas and arts. I have done that many times. Are you located in the Pacific Northwest?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I believe that you are just to sensitive and grasping at straws. I also believe that you completely went on the defensive way to quick. As for your seminar...sure. I am always open to trading ideas and arts. I have done that many times. Are you located in the Pacific Northwest?
Where you at, Holmes? I live in Big Foot Country. :)