A good read on Ryu. CMA questions

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you have his Chinese name?

Trying to find that out as well. My Korean contacts, haven't gotten back to me with that yet. And my Google fu, only is finding KMA stuff without his Chinese name.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Are we talking Tang Soo Do?

I know very little about Tang Soo Do, other than what I just read on Wiki, but it appears that Tang Soo Do translated, at one time, to the "The Way of the Tang Hand" which is a referece to the Tang Dynasty (618–907). The problem with old connections is that they may or may not be true, even when coming from reputable sources from the time. Not that they are lying, but they believe what they were told and pass it on. And some of those associations were made to make the art more viable in the eyes of others and in some cases more profitable. So origins can be hard to trace

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I know very little about Tang Soo Do, other than what I just read on Wiki, but it appears that Tang Soo Do translated, at one time, to the "The Way of the Tang Hand" which is a referece to the Tang Dynasty (618–907). The problem with old connections is that they may or may not be true, even when coming from reputable sources from the time. Not that they are lying, but they believe what they were told and pass it on. And some of those associations were made to make the art more viable in the eyes of others and in some cases more profitable. So origins can be hard to trace

Yes, TSD for short

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh indeed. Hakka is IMHO the granddaddy of Shorthand. But the term "Hakka" doesn't necessarily mean Northern. It just means visiting families. They were largely middle China, the central region ... Hubei, Henan, Shaanxi ... the area in & around the Yellow River. If you look at orthodox Songshan Shaolin, there's a resemblance to Hakka stuff that is undeniable. Not saying they're the same or even related, but given the age & development of the Hakka arts, coming from the Middle Kingdom area and orthodox Shaolin you can see where/how the Middle Chinese arts share a common midsized frame.

W-w-w-what?

I have a friend who trains Shaolinquan with a good teacher, who has a solid lineage. He's taught me a little bit. Bears no similarities and resemblance to neither Hakka arts or Fujian arts. Principles, power and patterns have nothing to share.

I'm not sure if you know, but the original way of writing "karate" (空手) is 唐手, Tang Hand. "Toodii" in Ryukyuan language Both have the same Japanese reading. My uneducated guess is that Tang Soo Do has something to do with karate... :eek::D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you know, but the original way of writing "karate" (空手) is 唐手, Tang Hand. "Toodii" in Ryukyuan language Both have the same Japanese reading. My uneducated guess is that Tang Soo Do has something to do with karate... :eek::D

Did not know that, but based on my skimming of the topic, karate seems to be at least part of it, and appears to be more a part of it than something directly out of China

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
W-w-w-what?

I have a friend who trains Shaolinquan with a good teacher, who has a solid lineage. He's taught me a little bit. Bears no similarities and resemblance to neither Hakka arts or Fujian arts. Principles, power and patterns have nothing to share.

Look at some of the older orthodox sets & body mechanics.... Shaolin Xinyiba Quan, Qixing Quan, Xinyi Quan, I don't necessarily mean posture, position & application. I mean body mechanics, angling, the use of tun, to, fo, chum, etc... an ancestor, not a direct correlation of styles from the Yellow River basin area.

Hell I've practiced CLF for 14 years now & find the TTFC all over it. :finger: It clearly isn't Hakka. :panda:

[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure if you know, but the original way of writing "karate" (空手) is 唐手, Tang Hand. "Toodii" in Ryukyuan language Both have the same Japanese reading. My uneducated guess is that Tang Soo Do has something to do with karate... :eek::D[/QUOTE]

Most KMA arts as are existing today do ... :nailbiting:

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Look at some of the older orthodox sets & body mechanics.... Shaolin Xinyiba Quan, Qixing Quan, Xinyi Quan, I don't necessarily mean posture, position & application. I mean body mechanics, angling, the use of tun, to, fo, chum, etc... an ancestor, not a direct correlation of styles from the Yellow River basin area.

Hell I've practiced CLF for 14 years now & find the TTFC all over it. :finger: It clearly isn't Hakka. :panda:

According to my friend, there is no sink-float-swallow-spit in Shaolin nor mechanics that would make use of them possible or preferred. What has taught and shown to me support that argument. I do the four directions all the time because of my style, so I am indeed familiar with them. If you find it somewhere else where it s not supposed to be, it's likely just pareidolia.

Also, Xinyiba is allegedly created on the second half of 19th century from existing Shaolin material, having no other connection. And neither Qixingquan or especially Xinyiquan are part of the core teaching of Shaolinquan. You might very well learn the system without those two forms and not lose anything.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
According to my friend, there is no sink-float-swallow-spit in Shaolin nor mechanics that would make use of them possible or preferred. What has taught and shown to me support that argument. I do the four directions all the time because of my style, so I am indeed familiar with them. If you find it somewhere else where it s not supposed to be, it's likely just pareidolia.

Also, Xinyiba is allegedly created on the second half of 19th century from existing Shaolin material, having no other connection. And neither Qixingquan or especially Xinyiquan are part of the core teaching of Shaolinquan. You might very well learn the system without those two forms and not lose anything.

To each his own experiences & lines ... My experience lends me to see it & make use of it.

But this sideline discussion is taking away from the OP ... back to regularly scheduled programming!

Latest Discussions