Fusho-Satori-Ryu

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks I know you all feel this is a hot topic but Martialtalk was not set up as a fraud busting area or a place to hunt witches. Personal attacks are discouraged .
If you wish to discuss the merits of what this man teaches go ahead, but

Mod. Note.

Please, keep the conversation on topic..

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level.

Sheldon Bedell

MT mod

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Agreed.

I did email Mr Calkins to keep his info to himself. As with anyone, I do not need to know someone's background in order to read and enjoy their posts.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I think what we have, per the case of Shaolin = Shorin , whatever, is not pronounciation, but romatciziation. If the Japanese call Ch'en- Zen, and it is the same, than is it of pronounciation or adaptation? (Same as Bodhidharma/Daruma)
Chan... not Chen.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I went back and re read the first post....and....

and have been listed as (Basicly Unchoakable.)
to all the BJJer's out there.....this guy has never rolled with us.....:ultracool

BTW, it has been mentioned on this site trillions of times but....Ashida Kim is a fake *** fraud. masses or not. now, if I said I train in Ninjutsu, even some "10th dans" would laugh at me.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only because it appears necessary more often than not. Something that shouldn't be necessary given your vast amount of time & knowledge...:jedi1:

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Only because it appears necessary more often than not. Something that shouldn't be necessary given your vast amount of time & knowledge...:jedi1:
Hey, I try to catch my own errors. As usual, feel free to point them out. However, everyone makes 'em.
icon12.gif

Tripitaka of AA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think "Time will tell".

Sadly, in many cases, it is only through the end-product that we may judge the skill of the creator. It is a sad truth that the disaffected and disappointed students of a fake may take many years to fully realise how far they've been led down the wrong path. Threads like this, when carried out correctly, can help to prevent some people falling victim to inappropriate training.

I think that several of the more prolific posters on this thread have come from a background where they were "fooled" into thinking they were being taught an authentic, effective and proven style... only to discover that the gaps in their Teachers knowledge were being papered over with Lies, and the holes in the techniques would lead to weaknesses/injuries/wasted-effort. This probably accounts for some of the enthusiasm in reaching out and attempting to protect the unsuspecting.

Learning a technique from a Shodan, or a Go-dan, can be a very different experience. The subtleties of form, the solutions to problems, the correction of errors are all reliant on the teacher knowing his stuff. Teaching a bit-of-dis and a bit-of-dat from a limited base is asking people to believe that you have mastered a style just by watching it.

Some of the latest generation of "Masters" will point out that many of the most respected styles were created by people who lacked the kind of qualifications that would satisfy the readers of this forum. But this observation misses a crucial element in the make-up of people like Funakoshi, Mas Oyama, Jigoro Kano, etc ... they were Genius.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"He trained my in the styles of Shaolin Kung-Fu and the Animal Styles. He also trained me (Or should I say started me on my training in Iron Shirt Qi-Kung. I know my web site calls it Toad Style and talks about making the body like steel... But that is advertising. "

Is the style called Toad style or did you make that up? You began traininmg inthis style when you were 7 years old and left when you were 9 years old. So in 2 years time as a child you learned the Iron body style?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tripitaka of AA said:
I think "Time will tell".

A.) Sadly, in many cases, it is only through the end-product that we may judge the skill of the creator. It is a sad truth that the disaffected and disappointed students of a fake may take many years to fully realise how far they've been led down the wrong path. Threads like this, when carried out correctly, can help to prevent some people falling victim to inappropriate training.

B.) I think that several of the more prolific posters on this thread have come from a background where they were "fooled" into thinking they were being taught an authentic, effective and proven style... only to discover that the gaps in their Teachers knowledge were being papered over with Lies, and the holes in the techniques would lead to weaknesses/injuries/wasted-effort. This probably accounts for some of the enthusiasm in reaching out and attempting to protect the unsuspecting.

C.) Learning a technique from a Shodan, or a Go-dan, can be a very different experience. The subtleties of form, the solutions to problems, the correction of errors are all reliant on the teacher knowing his stuff. Teaching a bit-of-dis and a bit-of-dat from a limited base is asking people to believe that you have mastered a style just by watching it.

D.) Some of the latest generation of "Masters" will point out that many of the most respected styles were created by people who lacked the kind of qualifications that would satisfy the readers of this forum. But this observation misses a crucial element in the make-up of people like Funakoshi, Mas Oyama, Jigoro Kano, etc ... they were Genius.
VERY nicely written David. :asian:

A.) Some may never realise. They develop a mindset or denial. Those may not even think of comong to a forum.thread, based upon their adherence to what they are told or lead to believe.

B.) Absolutely. Ar first I was embarassed to state such happening to me personally, but I openly admit it. I am pleased it only happened in my youth and beginning years. For that Iwas able to still learn/train with others afterwards. Those "supposed" masters were, by information, teachers. I had learn some things from them. But I am the wiser to certain claims and mythology.

C.) True. It willseem a scant collection of things learned will not be sufficient to state or lay claim to anything worth repeating or claiming. However, say someone that had spent, for example 5 or more years, before moving on, has more to offer.

D.) And though those masters were Genuises, as with human aspiration, surely genuises can become existant in any era.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:
I still cant get over that unchokable thing......rediculous
I agree. I could see if you had a 30 inch neck or wore a special neck brace.

M

madcoder

Yes!
Corporal Hicks said:
This style of defense was important to Soke because he didn't like the fighting styles that lead to hurting your opponent!

That was taken from his above site! I've never noticed this thread before, but what the hell is that about?

You dont want to hurt anybody?

How are you going fight somebody in a self defence situation then? Tickle them?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our System of Fusho-Satori-Ryu has 6 set and 2 that you build.
Nishichio Kata, Taikiyoko Kata, Kicking Set,Advanced Form Nishichio Kata, Kata Seisan & Bassai Dai.
Then you have to Make your own Empty Hand Kata and then a Weapon Kata

Wow, not a lot of Kata, especially when you take into account this is a hughly overranked Soke. Oddly enough there seems to be no reflections in the sllaybus of his Ninjitsu or Kung Fu training.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Saw this on youtube today... thought some of you would like to see "Soke" in action using his iron shirt defense.

[video=youtube_share;FJMoPaDod-s]http://youtu.be/FJMoPaDod-s[/video]

Latest Discussions