Junsa-ryu karate?

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is a new school in town called the Gunjin Dojo and is teaching Junsa-ryu karate. Supposedly the instructors are military and LEO types and are trying to selling this to the local law enforcement community pretty hard (they offer good rates if you are LE of any kind; local, county, state, fed or mil types). But in all my years I have never heard of Junsa-Ryu karate and without actually going to talk to anyone I am trying to find out more, fore warned is fore armed and all that....

I have googled them and nothing there and they do not have a web site up yet. They are teaching out at Ft. Carson so I dont know what kind of school it is or anything else.

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not really getting a good feeling about this one. Neither "Gunjin" nor "Junsa" are reading well as Japanese words, so I'm thinking there's more than a little "self created" going on.

I'm guessing that the term "Gunjin" is supposed to be "Tactical Man", taking Gun from gunryaku, meaning strategy, and Jin meaning person. As for Junsa, well, I have no idea what that could mean. But I've never heard of them either, for what that's worth.

I'm also not impressed when a particular school tries to establish it's credentials by marketing hard to security and law enforcement. It usually means that they are seeking legitimacy, and I would prefer to go to somewhere which attracts LEO's by itself, not bribes them into coming in.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a new school in town called the Gunjin Dojo and is teaching Junsa-ryu karate. Supposedly the instructors are military and LEO types and are trying to selling this to the local law enforcement community pretty hard (they offer good rates if you are LE of any kind; local, county, state, fed or mil types). But in all my years I have never heard of Junsa-Ryu karate and without actually going to talk to anyone I am trying to find out more, fore warned is fore armed and all that....

I have googled them and nothing there and they do not have a web site up yet. They are teaching out at Ft. Carson so I dont know what kind of school it is or anything else.
Never heard of it, but I doubt that it is a traditional ryu; Junsa means policeman in Japanese, so it sounds like a modern karate built around the needs of LEO. Gunjin is either soldier or military encampment, depending on the kanji.

Could be pretty good if the instructors have the chops (no pun intended). If you are looking at it it from an historical authenticity standpoint, it probably has none. "Police empty hand style at the Military camp school" is what I am reading. As it is out of Fort Carson, that is not surprising.

Daniel

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Daniel,

In my dictionaries here it always translates policeman as Keikan, with no pronunciation variants. Is it a Junsa a colloquial term? I haven't come across it before, and no online translators I just ran it through recognised it all.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello Chris,

To answer your question about my kanji source, I was using the expensive kanji app on the I-phone. Good to know that that is a coloquial definition.

Daniel

prokarateshop

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have honestly never heard of this.. Does anyone have any additional information.. video, etc..

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Hello,

I have never heard of the art, and have been around awhile.

But... There are many arts I have not heard of, and newer ones coming to the forefront almost monthly. It could very well be a composite art, and as such not have a long history or following. The fact that you did an internet search and found very little says something. But not everything.

There... Clear as mud, right?
Best of luck in your search for information.

Thanks,
Milt G.

Latest Discussions