Fusho-Satori-Ryu

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Please note i am a native Texan, working for the state, (plus the big map of Texas in my office required for my job due to my hearing officers convening hearings in every county in Texas) AND after having done a Google search ... there is no Garlin, Tx.

-Michael
He might have meant Garland, TX. Having lived in Houston, I've seen some people living elsewhere misspell Garlin for Garland. I don't know if that is what happened here, but...I would think a person training in a certain town should know how to spell the name. :idunno: He might have been away from there for quite a while. At the very least, allow him to explain the location/proximity of that town to a larger city. Where it is located might be a very small one and not always present on some maps.

- Ceicei

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
This style of defense was important to Soke because he didn't like the fighting styles that lead to hurting your opponent!

That was taken from his above site! I've never noticed this thread before, but what the hell is that about?

You dont want to hurt anybody?

How are you going fight somebody in a self defence situation then? Tickle them?
Well, in defense of that statement, I believe one of the main philosophies in aikido is to not harm your oppenent. I don't study it though, so I could be wrong.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Aikido is to redirect your opponet's motion harm himself, kind of a fine line between if you are hurting him or "letting" him hurt himself

Rather pragmatically Aikido avoids the attack 1st. What these guy is talking about is letting someone hit you till they are too tired to go on!!

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Aikido is to redirect your opponet's motion harm himself, kind of a fine line between if you are hurting him or "letting" him hurt himself

Rather pragmatically Aikido avoids the attack 1st. What these guy is talking about is letting someone hit you till they are too tired to go on!!
Comment taken! I was merely stating the fact that it seemed as though he was against hurting your enemy, in any situation. I dont know much about Aikido apart from the fact that it re-directs your opponents force using locks and throws, I have nothing against the art, moreover I am rather fasincated by it and I do wish to train in it but it is not in my area.

I was merely stating that his wording seemed to hit me as being against the whole concept of self defence. Defending yourself in a self defence situation usually requires hurting your opponent in some form or another. I'm sorry if it offended!

Kind Regards

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Comment taken! I was merely stating the fact that it seemed as though he was against hurting your enemy, in any situation. I dont know much about Aikido apart from the fact that it re-directs your opponents force using locks and throws, I have nothing against the art, moreover I am rather fasincated by it and I do wish to train in it but it is not in my area.

I was merely stating that his wording seemed to hit me as being against the whole concept of self defence. Defending yourself in a self defence situation usually requires hurting your opponent in some form or another. I'm sorry if it offended!

Kind Regards

No sweat- In fact it is one of those things that makes me grind me teeth also. The assunption that "I"m such a bad motor scoter that I better not hit the other guy" school of martial arts. I wonder how many of these guys got introduced to the curb??

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
No sweat- In fact it is one of those things that makes me grind me teeth also. The assunption that "I"m such a bad motor scoter that I better not hit the other guy" school of martial arts. I wonder how many of these guys got introduced to the curb??
i introduced a few during my bouncing days

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen some people living elsewhere misspell Garlin for Garland.
its the accent. lol. in South Carolina (i'm from WA state) i thought they were saying summer. they were saying Sumter or something like that.....

I was merely stating the fact that it seemed as though he was against hurting your enemy, in any situation.
from what i've studied on Ueshiba o sensei, his early years were just the opposite. he actually liked the physical "violent" side jujutsu had to offer. it was after he became interested and practiced Omoto kyo (branch of shinto) that he developed a more spiritual art.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Akashiro Tamaya said:
A.) Mr Calkins, I do not have to prove anything as I never made any claimed of being a master or a Soke. In this day and age, The internet has made the martial arts community closer than before. Frauds and fakes alike are being exposed everyday.

B.) No ! We have not met in the past life, nor have I ever peeped at your dojo's window. I never accused you of being a fake. Your credentials came to play when you struted into this forum. People who makes claims such as yourself are bound to be questioned from the start, thus you became a fair game.
A.) So true. If such was around for me between the late 60's-early 70's, I probably would have not trained with two particular instrcutors. However, I did learn some methods/routines that were not shown anywhere else that I use/teach still today. I dont lay claim to the rank that was bestowed from these two so easily. But I certainly give reference and information about them directly to my students with also "side-commentary". With that, I cannot state that I do not use such in my teaching and skills. Thus these formulate, with other past experience, to create something new. Whereas, I am too modest to create a high rank for my self, I have to examine real hard what would be the criteria to create a new system be? (Anyone care to answer this last question?)

B.) Yes, I think you were bring polite by not calling him fake. And given that someone posts information in such detail with data that is not understood or not agreed upon by others, then the postee should be ready for a barage of questions from it. But I see many are being polite about asking him questions and giving their opinions. I don't seem any harm or foul if everyone remains polite about it.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Please note i am a native Texan, working for the state, (plus the big map of Texas in my office required for my job due to my hearing officers convening hearings in every county in Texas) AND after having done a Google search ... there is no Garlin, Tx. -Michael
Not trying to take sides...but the guy has a prblem with grammer/spelling...perhaps he meant Garland, Texas?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
My friends. I believe we have done what we intended to do and that was to let people know that this individual may be a questionable instructor who developed his own system and was granted a title with an organization that lacks credibility in itself. We have done this by asking him the tough questions which he failed to answer. I believe it may be time to end this inquisition of him before it turns into a name calling festival. I have the answers I am looking for and that is fine for me but if we keep going and it gets to the point where we are insulting him and taking cheap shots at him then we as martial artists are no better than the common bully on the street. My advise to the moderators of this forum is to lock it in order to avoid further confrontation and name calling.
VERY WELL SAID :asian::asian::asian::asian::asian: (instead of five stars-five bows
icon12.gif
)

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I normally leave these threads alone, but ....

Such as Aikido is the traditional and Aiki-Jitsu takes Akik training and makes it more combat ready.

Do you even know who the founder of Aikido was, when he named the art, and what his primary art of study was prior? Come on.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
I normally leave these threads alone, but ....

Do you even know who the founder of Aikido was, when he named the art, and what his primary art of study was prior? Come on.
Maybe he does but has trouble conveyingwhat he means? my composition is hard at time, for people to understand.

BTW-Mustangs are.....negative comment ...negative coment......
IMHO, too popular, trendy, over-rated. But hey, like martial arts-whatever "floats your boat"

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must say that this thread is takeing some drifts from time to time can we try to stay with the 1st post as a guide please

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
Membership into the World Combat Martial Artists Association is open to all reality Combat Martial Arts instructors and practitioners, regardless of style or system, who believe in the practice and instruction of close quarter reality Martial Arts, for military, law enforcement, corporate/executive security and street self defense.
We are a young & growing association with our lifeblood dependant on a thriving membership roster of highly qualified and respected individuals. As our memberships expand, so will the benefits of being a part of the WCMAA. Already our roster contains an impressive list of world renowned Martial Artists from the United States, Indonesia, Sweden, Russia, England, Germany, Canada, Denmark, Romania, Isreal, Pakistan, India, Iran and China, and the list is growing.
*Important Note* The WCMAA does not sell, award or issue rank, nor do we grant Sokeship, Headfounder or Grandmaster titles. We only give recognition to the individuals accomplishments and developements that have been recognised and registered by legitimate and verifiable organisations, associations and federations, and the members alone are responsible for all rank & title claimed.
Membership applications are reviewed bi-yearly.
So, youre saying that one, or some of his certs from this particular organization, does not recognize his title/rank claim?

OP
Akashiro Tamaya

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
B.) Yes, I think you were bring polite by not calling him fake. And given that someone posts information in such detail with data that is not understood or not agreed upon by others, then the postee should be ready for a barage of questions from it. But I see many are being polite about asking him questions and giving their opinions. I don't seem any harm or foul if everyone remains polite about it.

Thanks 47 Martialman, Calkins attitude when asked certain gap in his history saw the line of questioning as a personal attack against him. If Gichin Funakoshi were to log into this forum with a heading "founder of Shotokan" I am sure we would all want to know about his art as well as his background. I am sure Funakoshi would not have any problem responding to any line of questioning thrown at him.

Calikins however, chose to run and hide as evident on this thead:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23966&page=1&pp=15

If he believed so much in himself , then he should stand firm and defend his art and himself.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Calkins-Sagi chooses to believe that he is being persecuted, and that we are all lost lambs in the "Brotherhood". The possibility that his facts may be in error is not acceptable to him. So he chooses to leave us, and go back to where he will be held in high esteem as the martial arts innovator he professes to be. Better to be a big fish in the little pond eh?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Akashiro Tamaya said:
Thanks 47 Martialman, Calkins attitude when asked certain gap in his history saw the line of questioning as a personal attack against him..
I had been there with some too. And felt I got "attacked" also somewhere. But, I will not consent to have someone make me feel inferior. However, on the other side of the coin, I will not consent to claim such a status knowing that I have much much more to learn. Does this make sense?

Akashiro Tamaya said:
If Gichin Funakoshi were to log into this forum with a heading "founder of Shotokan" I am sure we would all want to know about his art as well as his background. I am sure Funakoshi would not have any problem responding to any line of questioning thrown at him..
How can it be said what he would do. He may not want to come forth in the first place. Remember, he himself, took foundations from other sources and called it his own. Would those other sources come forth and state that he is not genuine?

Akashiro Tamaya said:
Calikins however, chose to run and hide as evident on this thead:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23966&page=1&pp=15

If he believed so much in himself , then he should stand firm and defend his art and himself.
I think he had in that thread. Rather anyone accepts it is on them. It did have some interesting info mixed in that.

For example:
I would not have state this:
I never tryed to put my self in the light if the great masters of old by taking this title or rank.
Especially if any great master(s) of old did not claim such. It is like he is saying that he is "higher" than they. But careful, I say 'like", because he has a different way to compose and convey. Same as I , could be mis-interpreted.

This also:
The Fact that the Japanese have trouble pronouncing the "L" would make Shaolin = Shorin And Ryu is Style. Shaolin Style To Shorin Ryu...

I dont think it has to do with their pronounciation and a lot to do with etymology and language differences/developments/romantization.

For sure can someone speaking Chinese understand someone speaking Japanese?

I think what we have, per the case of Shaolin = Shorin , whatever, is not pronounciation, but romatciziation. If the Japanese call Ch'en- Zen, and it is the same, than is it of pronounciation or adaptation? (Same as Bodhidharma/Daruma)

Just as one can see a English word in Latin. Or I can read/translate a Spanish word from simularities to English or a word understood. Does this make me fluid in these? Does that make it sound right for me to say how it is pronounced, not knowing other data? But given the simularities, they may have the same meaning.

Heck, where I was from, Soke can be taken as something offensive. The common wealth there will not understand it, so I wouldnt desire to use it. The same as "Dan". But they have a general understanding what Karate is. Can't I use that?

Latest Discussions