1st Dan Testing Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our school recently went under the USA Tae Kwon Do banner (the ones that do the US Olympic Team) and one of the changes I have noticed is the testing fee for 1st Dan. It used to be about $100 but now it is $500. The price increase seems a little steep and I wondered if the USA TKD people had a big hand in it. Their website does not show the testing/certification prices. My son is only one rank above me and with the way things were working out timing wise we were going to be going for black belt at the same time next year. At $100 a go we could do it but now that it is $500 I will let him go first and I will hang around at a lower rank for a while. If the instructor asks why I will tell him, "because the testing is so expensive". I have already told him that when he asked why we were not competing in a tournament, it was $70 per person per event!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is the thing, if your Instructor only wants his student to get a USAT cedrt. then that will be the price, but if he would allow you to only recieve a house BB it could be lower. What are your intention for having a BB to become a school, maybe try to do international events or maybe just to say I recieved that must training. Every org. has there price if you got hough them and then so does your instructor so remember it is what you want.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is the thing, if your Instructor only wants his student to get a USAT cedrt. then that will be the price, but if he would allow you to only recieve a house BB it could be lower.

That is an excellent suggestion. Like he said, ask if you could test for a house black belt and not have the usat certification with it.

I don't charge for black belt testing, but I am not a tkd school and I am not part of any associations that make me register my students.
I hate to say this, but junk like this is why taekwondo is known as the most expensive martial art. It is a good martial art, but is filled with more money hungry people than any other style (in my opinion).

AoG

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is an excellent suggestion. Like he said, ask if you could test for a house black belt and not have the usat certification with it.

I don't charge for black belt testing, but I am not a tkd school and I am not part of any associations that make me register my students.
I hate to say this, but junk like this is why taekwondo is known as the most expensive martial art. It is a good martial art, but is filled with more money hungry people than any other style (in my opinion).

AoG

Well there are a few others but I will leave that alone. One thing is for sure it is expensive because Master set the tone. A KKW certs is only $90.00 plus sending off for it so another $10.00 plus whatever the instructor wants you to pay which is always outragous. Maybe I need to become a cert. actory and make tons of money signing a piece of paper.

OP
igillman

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like the idea of a "House BB" and I will probably ask him about it when the time comes. My son may need the real "certified" one to help him in life but I certainly do not need it for anything.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seems like a case of too many hands in the pot.

I can understand that prices fluctuate with the location, but a 500% increase...and I was upset when the yearly membership went up to 22 dollars...or is it the price of the mystique? I have been told that another practitioner was ask to pay somewhere around 1200 dollars for a subsequent dan test....I am not even going to tell you that that covers me for about the whole year, membership and testing fees...

But I guess I can't complain. Prices and duration to get that coveted Black Belt add to the mystique of 'uuuhhhhhh Black Belt'

The best of luck to you and your son...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with Terry on this. A house BB might be the way to go for you. For your son, perhaps more. $500 is really steep tho!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I said it about the KKW, and I will say it again. THIS is why I dont trust, or value large orgs.

There is no reason what so ever to charge this much, other than that they CAN.

Good on you for letting your son get his, but me? I simply wouldnt do it.

The school I started in, underbelt tests were $20, BB tests were free. The only time we payed was IF we wanted to get a KKW card. Which no one did.

I plan on using the same set up.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please don't blame the Kukkiwon for this instructor's charges. There may be other factors for why this instructor has raised HIS/HER charges, but it was not because of the Kukkiwon.

As Terry pointed out, the KKW's fees are set (and haven't changed in many years).

BTW, I charge $150 for 1st dan test. My students get a Kukkiwon cert, a black v-neck uniform, and an embroidered belt. I suppose I could charge more, but I have a day job. Having said that, I don't begrudge those instructors who need to charge more to keep the lights on.....

Miles

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please don't blame the Kukkiwon for this instructor's charges. There may be other factors for why this instructor has raised HIS/HER charges, but it was not because of the Kukkiwon.

As Terry pointed out, the KKW's fees are set (and haven't changed in many years).

BTW, I charge $150 for 1st dan test. My students get a Kukkiwon cert, a black v-neck uniform, and an embroidered belt. I suppose I could charge more, but I have a day job. Having said that, I don't begrudge those instructors who need to charge more to keep the lights on.....

Miles

Very well said Miles

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By way of a comparison between arts and countries, my Dan grade certifications cost me something like £15 ($30) a time. So the fees mentioned above, you'll not be surprised to hear, sound outrageous to my ears.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Miles

Neither do I begrudge instructors for making a buck or two. But $500.00 is excessive for 1st Dan.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
At my first dojang the fee started at 500 bucks and went up 250 dollars for subsequent Dan tests.

My current school charges 350 dollars per Dan test.

Personally I've got no issues with folks making profit considering they have to give a cut to the certifying institute - be it KKW, AAU or USAT.

colinmatchett

White Belt
Reaction score
I am testing for my first dan in wtf taekwondo next month. The test fee is $ 350. Each of the geup testing fees are $ 40 per test. It is expensive but I am not sure what the going rates in the other arts are these days. When I received my 1st dan in karate in 1989, the test was $ 15 to cover the cost of the belt and the certificate. Of course, the ice I needed on my bruises after the BB test was on my dime.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am testing for my first dan in wtf taekwondo next month. The test fee is $ 350. Each of the geup testing fees are $ 40 per test. It is expensive but I am not sure what the going rates in the other arts are these days. When I received my 1st dan in karate in 1989, the test was $ 15 to cover the cost of the belt and the certificate. Of course, the ice I needed on my bruises after the BB test was on my dime.

That right there is about the norm in the community, the more expensive area's around me get up to $10,000 for a KKW certificate and they get to open a satelite school for the head instructor. That just kills me but still people do it. God Bless the all mighty dollar.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
WHAT??

oh hell no.

I can open a NICE studio for 10K, and not have to worry about profit for the first year.

anyone who would pay that for a belt is ......................well, you figure it out

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... we're not TKD, under any affiliation, but we don't charge testing fees to underbelts at all. And the initial black belt testing fee includes your membership to the association, as well as the clinic/camp fee for the weekend.

So, before I say $500 is outrageous... what's it include? Is it just the privilige to say that your test was certified by the organization? Or does it include other stuff?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well... we're not TKD, under any affiliation, but we don't charge testing fees to underbelts at all. And the initial black belt testing fee includes your membership to the association, as well as the clinic/camp fee for the weekend.

So, before I say $500 is outrageous... what's it include? Is it just the privilige to say that your test was certified by the organization? Or does it include other stuff?

OK here where I live the other guy not mentioning any names here, charges $500.00 what they get is a KKW certified BB thta cost $90.00 and a house belt. He does not bring anybody else in he is his own panel for testing. So for this it is high.

Now the person who charges $10,000 they get a KKW cert. we know the cost and the right to open a satellite school, this does not include the actual cost of opening a school. So he he is not getting anything really but each person has what they believe to be the best way.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Twin Fist you are right but people will and do pay what they believe to be the market rate, just who sets this rate I have no ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions