Itf fees?

Tiger-eye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm testing in June for third dan, I was just told my fees would be $400-$500 and going straight to GM Hwang. Seems high but thought id ask around.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, can you please provide the full name of GM Hwang? second, can you advise which ITF he / you will receive your cert from?
Now, is this info coming from your instructor? I ask because typicaly any test fee is allocated to Instructor / School, National org., and International org. The school has costs so it deserves something. If the school is a member of a national or international org there are typicaly annual dues to pay and one way to offset this is thru testing fees.

OP
T

Tiger-eye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
His full name is Grand Master Hwang Kwang Sung. I train under the UITF. This is my first testing under this new organization. I spent my first ten years with ICAF (same forms-sine wave). Yes this info comes from my instructor.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grand Master Hwang is no longer affiliated with any of the ITF groups that originated after Gen. Choi's death. He heads his own organization, Unified-ITF, which is supposed to work to bring the other groups together.

Anyway, the current costs for a iii dan in the ITF under GM Choi, Jung Hwa (Gen Choi's son) is considerably less that what you've quoted above and the price itself includes cuts for the instructor and national organization. That being said, it's common for some instructors to add on a fee to cover costs of a new belt, new dobok, having a guest examiner in, etc.

Pax,

Chris

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only question I would have is the $100 spread in the possible cost. It would seem that there would be a more definite quote.

As Master Spiller notes fees vary because costs vary. Runnning a retail school in NY city is more costly than say a YMCA Club in Mayberry. Costs have to be paid somehow.

OP
T

Tiger-eye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The reason he said 400-500 was because he owns one branch but the head owner owns the other branch and he needed to clarify with her.

Latest Discussions