Your most memorable rank test

bill miller

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are so many people in MT that have years or decades of experience.My question is, what was your most memorable rank test?

OP
B

bill miller

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mine had to be my testing to 3rd Dan. It took almost a day and a half. There were four of us, two testing to 2nd Dan, and two to 3rd. We did our hyung over and over, including the two man sets, which we were asked to do at full speed. The next day we did our hyung again, but in front of an eight man panel.After this we had to demonstrate many self defense techniques , as well as defense against had held weapons, and then, sparred everyone on that panel for five minute nonstop rounds. When we finished I was still standing but pretty much beaten to a pulp! Afterwards, I drank a quite a bit, soaked in Epson salts, and went to sleep for a whole day!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Earning my first degree bb in my first art (Shaolin Kempo). I had studied somewhere else for a little over a decade, and was a "junior black belt". The other people I started with that stuck around had reached their black belt by that time, but I hadn't for a couple reasons. I went to a new school, they didn't have a junior black belt, and I explained to him why I wasn't a black belt, and why that wasn't a goal of mine which confused him a bit especially since I knew all the material, but the idea had been soured on me.

Very shortly after I started, the instructor came over to me, told me I should be wearing a black belt and just gave me one, no test or anything. Stuck out to me mainly because that school was one that normally had traditional tests.

Funnily enough, like 6 or 7 years later the school went under (not due to bad MA, injury/retirement), and I ended up going back to my first school for a few years. The owner of that school informed me that they had changed some curriculum, and it's been too long since I held the junior BB, so he wanted me to come in at the equivalent of 3rd kyu. With the ability to test (and pay for tests) to advance. Never did end up testing for a dan rank in that style again.

OP
B

bill miller

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Earning my first degree bb in my first art (Shaolin Kempo). I had studied somewhere else for a little over a decade, and was a "junior black belt". The other people I started with that stuck around had reached their black belt by that time, but I hadn't for a couple reasons. I went to a new school, they didn't have a junior black belt, and I explained to him why I wasn't a black belt, and why that wasn't a goal of mine which confused him a bit especially since I knew all the material, but the idea had been soured on me.

Very shortly after I started, the instructor came over to me, told me I should be wearing a black belt and just gave me one, no test or anything. Stuck out to me mainly because that school was one that normally had traditional tests.

Funnily enough, like 6 or 7 years later the school went under (not due to bad MA, injury/retirement), and I ended up going back to my first school for a few years. The owner of that school informed me that they had changed some curriculum, and it's been too long since I held the junior BB, so he wanted me to come in at the equivalent of 3rd kyu. With the ability to test (and pay for tests) to advance. Never did end up testing for a dan rank in that style again.
I understand this completely. I put off my 1st Dan test for as long as I could because I really wanted to be deserving of the rank, and was finally forced to test. But looking back all those years ago, it may have been a good thing. In our system, new black belts would help teach the white belts basics,so, in time, I felt I had finally grown into the rank. To me, rank should not be thrown around, or dangled like a carrot on a stick. Honorable people like you are good examples.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand this completely. I put off my 1st Dan test for as long as I could because I really wanted to be deserving of the rank, and was finally forced to test. But looking back all those years ago, it may have been a good thing. In our system, new black belts would help teach the white belts basics,so, in time, I felt I had finally grown into the rank. To me, rank should not be thrown around, or dangled like a carrot on a stick. Honorable people like you are good examples.
At least in that style, there's really no reason to go past 1st dan. There's more than enough material up to that point, that you can just spend another decade or so (or more) refining it. And there's more material after 1st dan but it's very similar stuff, same skills just packaged differently, so you're better off just practicing what you already know or trying something different if you want something more.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got these chops about 10 years ago.

It was a pretty stressful experience, I had to perform a form with about 200 movements and answer a bunch of questions, some of which I blundered. Nailed the form, though. Still train it today.

1639777634342.png

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are two moments that are pretty well etched into my mind from back when I was a colored belt. The first is when I first became an instructor, but was not yet a black belt. My Master had me sit at the judge's table for a testing, but I was merely there to observe. At the end of the test, he has the judges each share closing comments. After the last judge, he asked me to speak. My first words were: "Uh...what?"

Another was when I was testing for my Jr. Black Belt (one step before black belt). This is the only test that I don't feel I made any mistakes on. I did every single technique, form, and self-defense demonstration without mixing up a single move. Considering the breadth of my Master's curriculum, that's saying something. The one part I really remember is after I had performed my (then) highest-level form, my Master broke down in detail exactly how perfect I had done the form; all of the little intricate details that most people don't get.

However, there are two recent ones that stand out to me for the wrong reasons. One was my most recent Taekwondo test, which I almost failed. What's worse, 80% of what he says I did wrong, I didn't. The other guy testing with me did. Everyone who had tested with me or watched my test was absolutely shocked to find out that I almost failed. There was another time when the kids' intermediate class had all done very well, and yet barely any of them got good marks on their test.

The other is my Hapkido black belt test, which is currently still pending further review. I took the test over a month ago, and will have to wait another 3 weeks to redo some parts, due to all of the complications with the holidays. What's worse, it took me over a month to even find out that my results are pending.

I know it might seem petty that the ones I like are the ones I'm praised, and the ones I don't like are the ones I'm criticized on. I've had to redo stuff for Hapkido before, but I haven't had to wait a month to find out my status and another month to even get a chance to redo before.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By far, it will always be my 3rd Dan test. I was at the peak of my competition era and the testing was something of a display of Olympic style fighting. I had eight rounds with people of varying ability, some to show my sparring prowess and some to show my ability to spar with others of less ability and push them to their limit without causing serious harm. This was incremental and the tougher matches were toward the end.
Then I had to do 5 MDK forms and all the KKW Yudanja forms, many of which were above my testing rank.
Then I had to do 35 one/two/trhee-steps. Several times as I explained different parts of the process.
Finally, I got a short break. Then started breaking. Five different board breaks, from 3 to 5 12" boards. One 10-block break.
I thought I was finished, and I was pretty gassed.
My instructor very casually set up a 5-board break then called my name and told me to do a running, jumping, spinning side kick, blind folded. So, without hesitation I got the boards set to height, found my distance, put the blindfold on and took off. I hit the boards hard but was slightly off center and my foot/heel glanced off the side of the boards. Made a hell of a scratch on the back of my ankle but worse, I landed on the Top of my foot rolling it awkwardly. I knew something was wrong with my foot but my Instructor sternly said 'go again'. So I did. I was in great pain and my foot had already started swelling. I really, really had to collect myself. I was able to do the break successfully the second time. One of the hardest things I have ever done mentally. That was the only hiccup in the whole testing. When I sat down after the testing was over my ankle was huge.
The next day I went to the doctor and discovered a quarter sized piece of bone had sheared off and had to be surgically removed.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My memorable ranking test of mine was my Orange Belt test I tested alone on my orange Belt test and I tested with flying colors I had to do yellow and orange belts forms and I had to do 10 Yellow Belt Techniques and 24 Orange Belt techniques and I had to Answer 20 questions and I pass it I was confident that day know I’m a 2nd Degree Brown

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most memorable rank test was the pre-test the night before for first dan. I had been prepared by my instructor but his instructor was in the area for a couple of weeks over the holidays and he wanted to give me a once over before the test the following day. This is how I ended up at my instructor's instructor's parent's back yard in the snow wearing a dobak and demonstrating all the techniques for first dan. Compared to the pre-test the actual black belt test was almost a formality.

After I passed the test we all went out to dinner and it was one of the happiest moments of my life. I've earned a few more black belts over the years but nothing compares to that first time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only had two (NGA doesn't have a lot of tested dan ranks). While most folks would start at BB for this, the mainline NGA testing actually gets more intense at brown (that's the student instructor rank), so I include it when I think of rank testing.

For some backgroun, the brown and shodan tests are very similar, and include:
  • 9 kicks
  • 6 hand/arm strikes
  • 4 stances
  • 2 movement (walking stance) drills
  • 50 classical techniques (2-man kata) twice (both sides)
  • 50 applications (similar to "one-steps")
  • 4 short essays - BB only
  • 400 vocabulary words (mostly Japanese terms, intended to help folks interact with other styles, I think) - BB only
  • ki exercises (5 for brown, 11 for BB) to test development of aiki body principles
That portion takes place over a period of time, as student and instructor can carve it out, usually during classes. Typically brown belt candidates take about 2-3 months to complete it, and BB candidates take a bit longer (vocabulary takes weeks, itself, because most of the words are brand new - yes, I know that's weird).

Then there's the "attack line". All the senior students show up and attack one at a time with a given situation (I refer to this as a situational drill - you're being fed different attacks with different intents, and you have to neutralize the attack) from a note card. This tends to last 30 minutes to an hour, with no real rest (some attacks will be repeated, if the instructor doesn't like the attack or thinks the response wasn't effective).
  • 80 attacks (punches, kicks, knife thrusts/cuts, grabs, chokes, stick strikes, etc.)
  • 40 multiple-attacker scenarios (limited attacker options) - BB only
The only thing that would change at ni-dan (last technical rank) is the addition of a few (8 I think) nunchuku techniques and a handful of locks and blocks with a stick, plus another movement test ("blending").

So, my brown belt attack line, my asthma (exercise-induced) kicked in. My legs were rubber. I was seriously thinking "I wonder if he would let me do the rest of the test from my knees, because I don't think I can stand much longer." As I was thinking that, the person at the back of the line said "Last card, sensei." I knew I had maybe 20 attacks left (allowing for some repeats), and just managed to finish.

On my shodan attack line, I was barely winded, even though the test is 50% longer. I had spent 18 months working on breath control and conserving energy, so my asthma never kicked in.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are so many people in MT that have years or decades of experience.My question is, what was your most memorable rank test?
When I was tested by Al Tracy of Tracy Kenpo. But the best was when I was tested by Ed Parker. That was an experience I've never forgotten and never will.
Sifu

cborde

White Belt
Reaction score
My old dojo had a yellow/black stripe belt between yellow and orange. I came into class expecting to prep for the belt test, and the sensei told me to go through all my ukemi 10 times each. By the time I realized he was taking my wind, he sent three other students after me and my only instructions were to not be held or thrown. He then sent me through my rank requirements ( still out of breath) then had me fight the rest of the class one by one. The last guy got me in a choke and I almost passed out, but managed to peel the choke away at the last minute to finish the test.
It was the most validating test I’ve ever had.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
None really, if you put in the work required between grades. I had passed 27 dan grades in various arts, most of these in Japan by the time I was 42. I then gave up when the, "Its not what you know but who you know" grades kicked in.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None really, if you put in the work required between grades. I had passed 27 dan grades in various arts, most of these in Japan by the time I was 42. I then gave up when the, "Its not what you know but who you know" grades kicked in.
…and how much money you need to put in those ’little brown envelops’😳

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not mine, I'm a Traditional Chinese martial Arts guy...meaning no belt ranks.

But my youngest's last Aikido test. She was testing for 3rd kyu and did a great job. The Dan ranks holding the test thought she did wonderful and told her she passed to 3rd kyu and the sensei (who was there on the sidelines that day) stopped them went and talked with them and they then told her she was a 4th Kyu.

Latest Discussions