Your choice of the most practical martial arts?

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The one that works for you. A shotgun is generally pretty practical, hand guns, grenades and the like, knives come in handy. So, look for an art that teaches how to use such things...

Empty handed? Really it depends upon what works for you.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Engineering.

Because with engineering, you can do anything![/quote]

What does driving a train have to do with anything?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For one, I am of the opinion that people generally post things with the intent of getting either a real answer or starting a discussion, as opposed to getting ripped on.

Still Learning, please use the search function or browse the forums; this topic has been covered in a plethora of ways and in some still active threads, as has been pointed out.

Hello, What is your opinion for the most practical martial arts?

My vote goes to JUDO......great for kids too!

Hands on training from the beginning...advancement base on skills (NOT time)

Aloha,
Practical generally means for real world self defense. On the other hand, if I can win competitions with my art, then it is practical for competition. If I am in better physical shape because of the art that I practice, then it has some practical benefit for fitness.

Personally, firearms not withstanding, I have always felt that karate is (I include taekwondo in that category), but that is from the persepective of being more of a striker.

In truth, it is very relative and practical value is also a measure of the kind of training that you do rather than what art you train in. Find the one that you enjoy the most, train hard and be happy with it.:)

Daniel

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your choice of the most practical martial arts?

Duh, iaido of course!!!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nuclear physics.

It kills the enemy. All of them. And all their cats, and all their dogs, and all their sheep and all their cattle. All of them. Gone for good.

And the best thing about it is, you don't have to watch a single one of them die. You just sit safely back thousands of miles away and push a little button...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For one, I am of the opinion that people generally post things with the intent of getting either a real answer or starting a discussion, as opposed to getting ripped on.

Still Learning, please use the search function or browse the forums; this topic has been covered in a plethora of ways and in some still active threads, as has been pointed out.

Practical generally means for real world self defense. On the other hand, if I can win competitions with my art, then it is practical for competition. If I am in better physical shape because of the art that I practice, then it has some practical benefit for fitness.

Personally, firearms not withstanding, I have always felt that karate is (I include taekwondo in that category), but that is from the persepective of being more of a striker.

In truth, it is very relative and practical value is also a measure of the kind of training that you do rather than what art you train in. Find the one that you enjoy the most, train hard and be happy with it.:)

Daniel
I hate to say it... but do a search for Still Learning and Judo.

This is a pretty frequent post for him, in one way or another!