martial art in Babylion 3000 BC?

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Fluffy said:
So, under that definition - you do not need form nor application, my 5 y/o can beat up one of his classmates with a kick he just practiced and it would be a martial art?

Have you posted that definition before? I think I read it not to long ago.

Not exactly.

The form/application is learned at the beginning in much the same way every art form needs to be practiced at first( learning parspective, shading and anatomy when drawing, learning the chords on a guitar, formatting a screenplay correctly, use of angles/editing in film, and so on), which builds the attributes one will need to create that particular art form later.

After such time as you need to build those attributes for the style of art you choose, it then becomes possible to create things totally of your own, using their principles.

So it should be with martial arts.

Does that help to clarify?

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Anyone who had an army...knew about martial arts (fighing skills). An army can be one man or thousands...the idea was to out fight the others. So martial arts skills may look different today compare to OG's? style....no less is was a fighting art.

When did it begin?...The first two men fighting over the first and only woman. Loser when home ( watch other animal fight..took this knowledge and got his woman back.) ...just my guess here...........Aloha

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Did you know the found in caves of the Babylion 3000 BC drawing in of people doing kicks,throws, punching. But Asia gets the credits for todays martial arts. (found this on kempo..not sure which one?)

There are Africans who says they were the first martial arts...because man first came from Africa before spreading all over the world. They had to learn to fight too!

We will never really know the begining of martial arts...but the training for our future kids will never stop...people will always fight each other...for the next few hundred years more....Aloha
Asia gives itself the credit but it does not get "THE" credit.
Sean

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The concept of makeing what you do put into a regiment is something that is not quite as old as the "me want food, me want land, me want woman" thing of the dawn of humanity. It didn't really become set in such a way that it could be passed on through the generations (modern def of martial art) didn't come out untill people had the time to devote to it. So... with civilation. One of the first civilations was Babylion. Anouther was Egypt. A third, China. So it makes sense that these countries came out with (or at least are gvin credit for) creating martial arts.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
CuongNhuka said:
The concept of makeing what you do put into a regiment is something that is not quite as old as the "me want food, me want land, me want woman" thing of the dawn of humanity. It didn't really become set in such a way that it could be passed on through the generations (modern def of martial art) didn't come out untill people had the time to devote to it. So... with civilation. One of the first civilations was Babylion. Anouther was Egypt. A third, China. So it makes sense that these countries came out with (or at least are gvin credit for) creating martial arts.

Makes alot of sense to me, in particular the part about civilization enableing the time for the development of martial arts regimentation.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
Makes alot of sense to me, in particular the part about civilization enableing the time for the development of martial arts regimentation.

Thank you. See every so often I say something that makes sense.

Latest Discussions