You might disagree but I think this is great news

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you know there is a lot to be said about a person who has a great vocabulary! I feel you do a great job of hidding your message in your posts.

You know what they saw about attributing to others characteristics you may have yourself... I think I've been crystal clear about my feelings about sport TKD. I'm not sugarcoating anything.

So were you the anonymous person who left me a neg? Fess up whoever did it. I don't mind the ding, but doing it anonymously without a comment about why you're dinging me is a bit cowardly.

As for the compliment on my vocabulary, thanks. I'd show you my even better math skills but this is the wrong forum for it.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watche the video as I am at home now. That was great. The highlights for the clip were choosen perfectly. It really showed a mixture of MA styles. Nice MT knees, and you can clearly see that his kicking is more advanced than most MMA fighters. You can see he also has some wrestling skills as well. With the kicking you can see the cleaness of the kicking techiques. I would guess or assume that this person has some TMA training more than just the basic that a lot of MMA fighter have. Reason being it that a back spinning kick (spining heel or wheel kick as some call it) was done with pretty good technique. Many that I see attempt this kick with only kickboxing or MMA training only throw this kick with really poor technique thus removing the power, snap and speed of the kick. Looks like a true MMA fighter. I say that because the term MMA means Mixed Martial Arts. I see to many that really don't have a any real experience with TMA training other than basics.

Thanks for the Video.

Is this guy out of your studio?

The fighter is out of London Shoot but I know the guys there, the chap who made the highlight is a friend of mine, his day job is working on special effects for films such as XMen. Marios himself is a lovely guy.
As I said before the majority of our fighters here come from a TMA background, we don't have the school wrestling background so the grappling side here is mostly Judo or BJJ. We have fighters whose core style is TKD such as Rosi Sexton who fought in Bodog in America and is fighting across there again soon, we have fighters with CMA backgrounds and karateka such as Neil Grove who had to complete the 30 man kumite for his blackbelt.
I've lost count of the fights I've watched over the years, must be hundreds and now ref pro fights but the majority of them I have seen good kicks and punches made in what people would call the traditional style, this isn't just the British fighters but the European ones as well, I've said before that I think American and European MMA is different.
The fighters from my club have strong MT skills, they go to Thailand every year as well as strong TMA, my core style is Wado Ryu my instructors Shotokan and Judo as well as us teaching TSD. Their ground style is Judo and BJJ. We also do Aikido and will take anything else anyone in the club has that works. My instructor and I have both studied TKD as some time, we were both military and moved around a lot so took whatever style was available where we were as your core style is not always available. the majoirty of our club members are also military, those that are civilian are dependants of the military.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Taekwondo in the 2016 Olympic Games

Dear beloved Taekwondo Family, WTF Council Members, and Presidents of
WTF Member National Association:

I am pleased to share the good news that the International Olympic
Committee (IOC) Executive Board proposed yesterday the list of 26 core
sports and 2 additional sports, golf and rugby, to be included in the
2016 Olympic Programme (see the full story on
http://www.olympic.org/uk/news/olympic_news/full_story_uk.asp?id=3090).

Out of seven sports, only golf and rugby will have the opportunity to
present at the IOC Session in Copenhagen in October for a final
decision.

With the news, I assure you that Taekwondo as one of the 26 “core”
sports is officially on the Olympic Programme for both London 2012 AND
the 2016 Games, putting an end to the controversy on this issue.

I wish to dedicate this moment of triumph to all our taekwondo family
who devoted their time and effort for the promotion of the sport of
taekwondo and development of taekwondo as an Olympic sport. I will
commit myself to further enhancement of taekwondo in each member
national association on this meaningful occasion.

As the President of the WTF, I thank you for working with us for the
cause of taekwondo, which, I believe, are being rewarded with great
pride and joy. I express my heartfelt appreciation to your ceaseless
support and cooperation. Let us enjoy the victory we have achieved
together.

Yours Sincerely,

Chungwon Choue
President
I am going to buck the trend and say something positive about it.

Congrats to those involved! This is certainly great news to the WTF!

I have stated my thoughts on the WTF ruleset before (not my cup of tea), so no need to belabor the point. I do respect the hard work and effort that goes into making it to that level, and for those who are into sport TKD, this is indeed great news.

The biggest issue that I see with taekwondo in the olympics is that I have a very low opinion of the IOC and feel that once one is in bed with them, they will have a controling interest in what you do. Perhaps I am wrong, but that is how I feel.

As to the rule set itself, you either like it or you do not. Earlier in this thread, I saw "Olympic TKD" referred to kickboxing. I see it more in the vein of foot fencing. In fact, I see taekwondo going very much in the same direction that sport fencing has gone. This is not good or bad; it is what it is.

I disagree that it makes taekwondo a laughing stock. I think that McDojo-ism is a much greater culpit in this, and is not limited to taekwondo, by the way.

Anyway, thank you for posting this, Mangoman.

Daniel

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You tend to try your best to make anything not TKD look like it has no influence, or at the very least that its influence is waning compared to TKD. You try to make one thing look worse to make another look better.
More babble I guess. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Olympic TKD is the laughing stock of the MA community and increasingly the sports community. However I never did care about the public`s perception of the arts or arts created specifically to that effect. Proper instruction is increasingly hard to find but I do believe the few persons that still really want to learn will find their way to it.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Olympic TKD is the laughing stock of the MA community and increasingly the sports community. However I never did care about the public`s perception of the arts or arts created specifically to that effect. Proper instruction is increasingly hard to find but I do believe the few persons that still really want to learn will find their way to it.

I was just at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs for the U24 team trails and the Junior National Team Trails...I spoke with TC Dantzler 2008 Olympian in wrestling we had a long conversation while one of our athletes was cutting weight. He expressed a admiration for TKD athletes he mentioned that he had known Barb Kunkel, the Lopez's Tim Thackrey and many more. He stated that the speed, athleticism and work ethic of the TKD athlete is at the level of any sport. He also stated that he has watched several matches of the years and has seen some brutal knock outs. The speed and power of Sport TKD is better appreciated in person.

I was watching the match between Tanner Creel and Jayson Ishida. It was one of the most brutal KO's I have ever seen it sounded like a BB bat being broken. A kind of hybrid kick cross between a spin hook and a jump back-Kick. Three boxers were sitting next to me. When they stopped jumping up and down I heard comments like I did not know that these guys kicked that hard and wow was that fast.

This was hardly anything to be ashamed of!!!! The Elite athletes understand what it takes to compete at a world class level and can appreciate the dedication and effort that is need to be the best!!!!

Those who make comments about Sport TKD is a joke are more than likely not world class at anything!!!!

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
disagree disagree disagree.... i disagree because i disagree.... negative negative negative.... blah blah blah....

Some people like to disagree for arguments sake or to tell you how wrong you are for not doing it thier way....

you have to respect anyone who excells at what they do....

an TAI CHI is the laughing stock of MA.. not tkd... we kick people.... they Breathe on them.... slowly... lol.... joking tai chi people... joking....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think people need to get over this thing about people being jealous of Olympic TKD which most of us don't regard as the same thing as sport TKD.
Sport TKD is entertaining and exciting when staged properly, this is how it should be in the Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7taxMwrraA&feature=related

Zelg fights over here in MMA and has had some good scalps under his belt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5cxP0eZcOA&feature=fvw
Ha ha ha...I thought at the end of the second video it was going the say "Special Thanks to...TEZ3" That would have been funny.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think people need to get over this thing about people being jealous of Olympic TKD which most of us don't regard as the same thing as sport TKD.
Sport TKD is entertaining and exciting when staged properly, this is how it should be in the Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7taxMwrraA&feature=related

Zelg fights over here in MMA and has had some good scalps under his belt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5cxP0eZcOA&feature=fvw

Tez to me the first video is more like kickboxing is, we have a pro circuit here in the states, it is located in California they do not even wear gloves great stuff. Funny there is no market for it here like in alot of other countries.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ha...I thought at the end of the second video it was going the say "Special Thanks to...TEZ3" That would have been funny.

LOL I'm doing my best to promote UK fighters, Zelg would be great in the UFC!

I hope people do see the distinction a lot of us are making between sport and Olympic TKD.
I know Zelg's fight does look like kickboxing perhaps but a couple of rule changes perhaps would sort that out. The problem is that many want a safe sport for the Olympics, they don't want KO's not even in boxing. They want entertainment that will encourage people to watch on television and also watch the ads that make the Olympics committee so much money.
Gymnastics is a crowd pleaser, pretty, slim girls and good looking fit men doing techniques that make you gasp (like the circus), it's safe, competitive and very photogenic so they've made TKD the same way.They don't really want to see blood all over the place, when there is the commentators are full of distaste, after all people won't send their children to train if it's actually 'fighting'. It doesn't do any of us any favours.

I think perhaps in America, which brought us political correctness btw lol, full contact martial sports aren't as encouraged or enjoyed the way they are here. I know you have boxing and MMA is getting a toehold but I think both sports would be banned if a lot of people had their way.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I like this type of stuff...and I agree he would be great in the UFC...this is apples and oranges when compared to Olympic "Sport" TKD...some of the Olympic Style Tkd athletes would do well

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs for the U24 team trails and the Junior National Team Trails...I spoke with TC Dantzler 2008 Olympian in wrestling we had a long conversation while one of our athletes was cutting weight. He expressed a admiration for TKD athletes he mentioned that he had known Barb Kunkel, the Lopez's Tim Thackrey and many more. He stated that the speed, athleticism and work ethic of the TKD athlete is at the level of any sport. He also stated that he has watched several matches of the years and has seen some brutal knock outs. The speed and power of Sport TKD is better appreciated in person.

I was watching the match between Tanner Creel and Jayson Ishida. It was one of the most brutal KO's I have ever seen it sounded like a BB bat being broken. A kind of hybrid kick cross between a spin hook and a jump back-Kick. Three boxers were sitting next to me. When they stopped jumping up and down I heard comments like I did not know that these guys kicked that hard and wow was that fast.

This was hardly anything to be ashamed of!!!! The Elite athletes understand what it takes to compete at a world class level and can appreciate the dedication and effort that is need to be the best!!!!

Those who make comments about Sport TKD is a joke are more than likely not world class at anything!!!!

Using four exclamation points doesn`t make you world class either. Tho considering the focus on flashy bs in some circles I can see why you might think otherwise.

That olympic TKD got speed, atletecism and power does not save it from being a total joke and the technically mangled commercialized remains of a once proud art.

Then again as I`ve already said I am not too concerned about the way the sports side of the arts are taking. It actually might benefit the community as after getting back on their feet from nearly dying of laughter watching the olympic games, the public might think twice about joining a mcdoco doing all that flashy stuff and slapping a black piece of cloth on you faster than you can sign the "guaranteed BB" contract.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this type of stuff...and I agree he would be great in the UFC...this is apples and oranges when compared to Olympic "Sport" TKD...some of the Olympic Style Tkd athletes would do well

Zelg is a TKD champion but not at the Olympic stuff. Sport TKD athlete would do well but not the Olympic style, they can't fight.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The last comment assumes that one must be world class in order to evaluate what they see, and this is not the case. Attempting to marginalize those who disagree with you in this manner does nothing to make your case stronger.

There are individuals who are wholly opposed to the ruleset based entirely on the fact that it has truncated the martial art of Taekwondo to such a degree that training in the traditional art has almost no value for a competitor in the sport and that training in the sport has almost no value to a traditional practitioner.

The divide is great enough that in looking at the two, I must ask, "will the real Taekwondo please stand up?"

Once again, I am not of the opinion that that the WTF rule set is a joke or that that style of sparring is without value. But I also see the perspective of those who do not like the rule set or the direction that the WTF is taking.

At the rate things are going, I am pretty confident that by the middle of this century, taekwondo will have completely gone the rout of sport fencing, with the traditional schools becoming a shrinking minority. Whether or not this is good or bad depends greatly on one's perspective.

Daniel

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The last comment assumes that one must be world class in order to evaluate what they see, and this is not the case. Attempting to marginalize those who disagree with you in this manner does nothing to make your case stronger.

No it does not assumee that you must be world class to make an evaluation. I am not a world class athlete!!! It does assume that anyone who would call my martial art a joke( which absolutely marginalizes sport tkd) is not world class at anything not just a sport. I am only marginalizing those who would degrade sport tkd as a joke. If you just disagree fine but have enough class not to call it a joke (or a laughing stock whatever the case may be).

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TEZ3...You are concerned about how may exclamation points that I use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again calling "Olympic Style" Sport TKD a joke is classless. Disagree all that you want!!!!!!!!! Make your case fine!!!!!!

I am world class at exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TEZ3...You are concerned about how may exclamation points that I use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again calling "Olympic Style" Sport TKD a joke is classless. Disagree all that you want!!!!!!!!! Make your case fine!!!!!!

I am world class at exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I? Wasn't me that that made comments about your exclamation marks, it was Cirdan.
I didn't say it was a joke either, I don't think it is, I think it's sad.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Zelg is a TKD champion but not at the Olympic stuff. Sport TKD athlete would do well but not the Olympic style, they can't fight.

Bold statement "they can't fight"....Assumes allot!!!! and Marginalizes many!!!

Not even close to true!!!!!

Latest Discussions