Yoon byung-in

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
can anyone tell me about this Korean Master? if so what is your view on him?

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Byung In Yoon taught at both the Chosun Yun Moo Kwan Kong Soo Do Bu and the Jung Ahn YMCA Kwon Bup Bu in Seoul. He was born in 1920 in Manchuria and trained in chaun fa when he was young. During one winter, he was pushed into a fire that was being used for warmth and ended up losing 1/2 the length of his fingers on his right hand, an injury that obviously hindered him in his martial arts future.

He ended up studying at Nihon University in Tokyo. During an altercation, Yoon fought off multiple assailants trained in karate. When the karate master, Toyama Kanken, heard of this he invited Yoon to teach chaun fa and in turn trained him in Shudo ryu karate. He eventually reached 4th Dan, and was Toyama's highest ranking student, even becoming the captain of the Nihon University Karate Club.

He returned to Korea in 1945 when he was asked by Sang Sup Chun to teach chaun fa and karate at the Chosun Yun Moo Kwan Kong Soo Do Bu. He later taught at the Jung Ahn YMCA Kwon Bup Bu. Once the Korean War started, Yoon went over to North Korea with his brother and was not heard from for some time. Many thought he had died and his students eventually stepped in to keep his teaching alive, opening the Chang Moo Kwan.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Although it may not add much to the discussion, just to add...

The Changmookwan is still active in Korea. The current Kwanjang (president) is GM KIM Joong Young, who is also Vice-chairman of the Kukkiwon High Dan Test Committee.

I met GM Kim in 2012 at the World Taekwondo Leaders Forum in Korea and he gave me Changmookwan rank/membership at that time. I met him again in 2013 when visiting with my Grandmaster and his juniors.

If anyone wants to get in contact with Changmookwan in Korea, let me know and I'll happily pass on contact details or help you get rank/membership.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Although it may not add much to the discussion, just to add...

The Changmookwan is still active in Korea. The current Kwanjang (president) is GM KIM Joong Young, who is also Vice-chairman of the Kukkiwon High Dan Test Committee.

I met GM Kim in 2012 at the World Taekwondo Leaders Forum in Korea and he gave me Changmookwan rank/membership at that time. I met him again in 2013 when visiting with my Grandmaster and his juniors.

If anyone wants to get in contact with Changmookwan in Korea, let me know and I'll happily pass on contact details or help you get rank/membership.

And along those lines, taekwondoin from the Changmookwan have been very influential at the Kukkiwon, especially at the World Taekwondo Academy. Those Changmookwan members include GM KIM Soon Bae, the third Kwan Jang, one of the developers of Kukki taekwondo poomsae and former chairman of the Kukkiwon dan promotion committee. Another well known former Kukkiwon official and teacher from the Changmoo Kwan is GM LEE Kyu Hyun -- not to be confused with former Kukkiwon president LEE Kyu Hyung of the Chung Do Kwan lineage.

Well known members of the Changmoo Kwan who moved to the U.S (some of this GMS have passed on) include: LEE Nam Suk (2nd Kwan Jang; USA-CA), KIM Dae Shik (USA-TX), KIM Ho Jae, KIM Sun Ku, KWON Duk Gun (USA-IL), LIM Chang Soo (USA-MI), PARK Jung Hwan (USA-FL).

Latest Discussions