...Yeah screw boxing. (I give up. I just realized how little I know. Long read.)

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So ummm...

I'm embarrassed but I give up.

After talking to everybody here, seeing folks in the gym, watching elite boxers on YouTube, talking to people at a bodybuilding website, taking cardio seriously for the first time in my life, I think it's about time I quit my boxing delusions.

Look, I am sure that if boxing matches were a grand total of one round that lasts for three minutes, strength athletes would be terrifying. But that's not how the sport is.

I'm gonna go ahead and hop onto a grappling art. I'm Philipino but I also have a Japanese heritage on my father side, so Judo should be appropriate. And I know for a fact that there's a Judo club here where I live as I've searched them before. And then there's a wrestling club here also, THANK GOD. I thought that after high school, wrestling prospects are over or rare. But there's a thriving wrestling club where I live. Thank goodness...

I can tell you all some silly justifications as to why I'm abandoning my boxing aspirations but the fact of the matter is, I can't handle the cardio... I just... I just can't. I really, just, CAN'T. This isn't even about pain tolerance even though heavy weightlifting is far less uncomfortable than cardio. It's about priorities. And the DREAD. The freaking DREAD. I simply can't have a big squat and deadlift if I'm working on having a good time on the 10-kilometer run. My ego cannot handle the very idea of sacrificing squat gains in order to improve endurance. I just... I think I'm gonna cry man.

I haven't even sparred and my ego is already taking a beating. I think it's a good idea to quit now before I get my butt handed to me by a woman.

Grappling, though... I'm not gonna go and talk as if I know how it is because I don't, but I really do think, with what little I understand, that brute strength has a direct carryover to wrestling and judo. And I think the only adjustment I should do with my strength program, really, is to lighten the load and do 30-rep squats for whatever leg endurance requirement I need. That's still gonna be far away and downright irrelevant to my absolute one-rep max, but it is undoubtedly lightyears ahead of long-distance running when it comes to its reliance on squatting strength. I just... I just don't care about boxing record anymore if I'm not up to par with my squat strength...

Honestly, my vanity lies elsewhere. I know my uncle couldn't care less about his athletic abilities as long as he had good cologne and nice clothes. Me, personally, I could have an ugly scar on my face for all I care, as long as I know I'm stronger than the other dude and can beat his butt in a fair fight, I'm satisfied. Please reread that latter part because it's key... Really, I need boxing for that... More than weightlifting ability. But considering how grappling arts like wrestling and Judo EXIST, that should nullify the need for punching, to a degree.

So yeah, I'm switching to either Judo or wrestling.

I'm gonna be a sponge this time. Forgive me for my previous behavior.

I can still train boxing, of course, but it'll be supplementary and won't be my main style.

I have a lot of questions...

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Uh okay...

Just FYI, I would suggest Bjj since it is a combo of wrestling and Judo.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Uh okay...

Just FYI, I would suggest Bjj since it is a combo of wrestling and Judo.

Eww, no. Alpha males like me are above BJJ.

Just kidding.

I really don't understand what you mean because I neither know wrestling or Judo...

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Eww, no. Alpha males like me are above BJJ.

Just kidding.

I really don't understand what you mean because I neither know wrestling or Judo...

Bjj came from old school Judo, and incorporates some of its locks, throws, and positions. However, Bjj is a lot more open than Judo and allows techniques that Judo has long banned like leg locks and wrist locks. In addition, Bjj has absorbed a lot of stuff from wrestling while Judo has largely turned away from it. So as a Bjj practitioner, you have the option of using more Judo throws, or using wrestling takedowns. You can even choose gi Bjj or nogi Bjj.

In the end, Bjj is a lot more open than Judo which is a lot more restrictive. I noticed that you wanted to do Judo and wrestling, Bjj allows you to do both at the same time.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bjj came from old school Judo, and incorporates some of its locks, throws, and positions. However, Bjj is a lot more open than Judo and allows techniques that Judo has long banned like leg locks and wrist locks. In addition, Bjj has absorbed a lot of stuff from wrestling while Judo has largely turned away from it. So as a Bjj practitioner, you have the option of using more Judo throws, or using wrestling takedowns. You can even choose gi Bjj or nogi Bjj.

In the end, Bjj is a lot more open than Judo which is a lot more restrictive. I noticed that you wanted to do Judo and wrestling, Bjj allows you to do both at the same time.

Are BJJ schools standardized by some upper organization? Or each school is their own style of teaching and techniques?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While grappling is just as good (if not better depending on style and body-type) as striking arts..grappling to me is much more cardio-intensive than boxing is. And your strength is going to matter less for that, once you get good. No matter what you try, you'll have to accept that you'll need more than just pure strength.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are BJJ schools standardized by some upper organization? Or each school is their own style of teaching and techniques?
Depends. There are a couple competitions/comp organizations that calibrate/standardize BJJ. And there are also a couple different big BJJ organizations. But not every school is going to be a part of those.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Bee Brian I'm curious; what's your goal in getting stronger? Is being stronger the goal in and of itself? The two reasons that I can understand for strength training is looks and function (you (general, not specifically you) get stronger because you think muscles = attractive, or because you think it will help with whatever sport you train/with day-to-day work/life). Then there's a third reason I kinda get where you (general, not specifically you) want to get stronger because your friends are all strong and it's a peer pressure/fitting in type of thing. But it seems like a lot of people want to get stronger, and it's not for any of those purposes. I get the feeling that might be the case for you since you're not willing to sacrifice squat gains for the other things that would help you more fighting-wise, even though that's your stated goal. So why is that number so important?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So ummm...

I'm embarrassed but I give up.

After talking to everybody here, seeing folks in the gym, watching elite boxers on YouTube, talking to people at a bodybuilding website, taking cardio seriously for the first time in my life, I think it's about time I quit my boxing delusions.

Look, I am sure that if boxing matches were a grand total of one round that lasts for three minutes, strength athletes would be terrifying. But that's not how the sport is.

I'm gonna go ahead and hop onto a grappling art. I'm Philipino but I also have a Japanese heritage on my father side, so Judo should be appropriate. And I know for a fact that there's a Judo club here where I live as I've searched them before. And then there's a wrestling club here also, THANK GOD. I thought that after high school, wrestling prospects are over or rare. But there's a thriving wrestling club where I live. Thank goodness...

I can tell you all some silly justifications as to why I'm abandoning my boxing aspirations but the fact of the matter is, I can't handle the cardio... I just... I just can't. I really, just, CAN'T. This isn't even about pain tolerance even though heavy weightlifting is far less uncomfortable than cardio. It's about priorities. And the DREAD. The freaking DREAD. I simply can't have a big squat and deadlift if I'm working on having a good time on the 10-kilometer run. My ego cannot handle the very idea of sacrificing squat gains in order to improve endurance. I just... I think I'm gonna cry man.

I haven't even sparred and my ego is already taking a beating. I think it's a good idea to quit now before I get my butt handed to me by a woman.

Grappling, though... I'm not gonna go and talk as if I know how it is because I don't, but I really do think, with what little I understand, that brute strength has a direct carryover to wrestling and judo. And I think the only adjustment I should do with my strength program, really, is to lighten the load and do 30-rep squats for whatever leg endurance requirement I need. That's still gonna be far away and downright irrelevant to my absolute one-rep max, but it is undoubtedly lightyears ahead of long-distance running when it comes to its reliance on squatting strength. I just... I just don't care about boxing record anymore if I'm not up to par with my squat strength...

Honestly, my vanity lies elsewhere. I know my uncle couldn't care less about his athletic abilities as long as he had good cologne and nice clothes. Me, personally, I could have an ugly scar on my face for all I care, as long as I know I'm stronger than the other dude and can beat his butt in a fair fight, I'm satisfied. Please reread that latter part because it's key... Really, I need boxing for that... More than weightlifting ability. But considering how grappling arts like wrestling and Judo EXIST, that should nullify the need for punching, to a degree.

So yeah, I'm switching to either Judo or wrestling.

I'm gonna be a sponge this time. Forgive me for my previous behavior.

I can still train boxing, of course, but it'll be supplementary and won't be my main style.

I have a lot of questions...
have you replaced your boxing delusion with a judo delusion

that to requires cardio, as you've managed to give up before you even started, i do wonder about your in built ability to fight in what ever format, its hard and only the mentally strong survive get anywhere

what exactly is it you find hard about cardio ? just run a bit, walk a bit run a bit more, even dogs can do it

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While grappling is just as good (if not better depending on style and body-type) as striking arts..grappling to me is much more cardio-intensive than boxing is. And your strength is going to matter less for that, once you get good. No matter what you try, you'll have to accept that you'll need more than just pure strength.

Wrestling matches are not a marathon 12-rounder.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wrestling matches are not a marathon 12-rounder.
Wait till your first grappling match/spar. It shocked me at how out of breath 3 minutes made me, that first time. Took more out of me doing 1 3-minute BJJ round than 6 3-minute kickboxing rounds. I don't think there's any way to explain it until you actually experience it.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

@Monkey Turned Wolf gave you the gist of it. I wouldn’t say that everyone has their own style, I would say that each Bjj school has their own culture that is dominated by the expression of their head instructor.

For example, 10th Planet is kind of new age, nogi, a bit eccentric, comes up with crazy names for their techniques, and that’s mainly because Eddie Bravo (its founder) is that type of person. Meanwhile, Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is more old school, white gi only, self defense oriented style that adheres to how Bjj was taught by the Gracie family in Brazil.

They all feed off each other technique-wise in order to remain competitive. You really have to decide what type of school you want to train in. The good news is that different schools welcome practitioners from other gyms to train and spar with, and I never had a bad experience rolling with people in other gyms.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
@Bee Brian I'm curious; what's your goal in getting stronger? Is being stronger the goal in and of itself? The two reasons that I can understand for strength training is looks and function (you (general, not specifically you) get stronger because you think muscles = attractive, or because you think it will help with whatever sport you train/with day-to-day work/life). Then there's a third reason I kinda get where you (general, not specifically you) want to get stronger because your friends are all strong and it's a peer pressure/fitting in type of thing. But it seems like a lot of people want to get stronger, and it's not for any of those purposes. I get the feeling that might be the case for you since you're not willing to sacrifice squat gains for the other things that would help you more fighting-wise, even though that's your stated goal. So why is that number so important?

Because squat strength is the meaning of masculinity. It's an expression of how powerful my inner spirit is.

I mean dude, if you transfer my psyche into the times of Ancient Greece in Sparta, I would of course devote my life into surviving the rigors of whatever they wanna throw at me with their military training program. But right now, I have the relative luxury to CHOOSE what to invest in. And deep inside of my heart, in ways I can't explain, I think the purest expression of human strength, the purest expression of greatness without silly things like money and fame, is your relative squatting strength. I say RELATIVE because it's not the absolute squatting strength you have. It's how much you can squat in relation to your age and how long you've been training. If you were born to be able to squat 1,000 pounds with zero training, I'd have zero respect for you compared to a naturally weak man who took his squat from 200 to 400 with hard work.

I do it to gain confidence for myself. And nothing, and I mean nothing, gives me more self-worth and self-confidence than being stronger than everyone else and knowing I can defeat them all in a fair fight with my bare hands, boxing or wrestling.

This is why I loathe the idea of being a strictly skilled martial artist. I want to be the kind of fighter with a balance of a lack of finesse but make up for it with ridiculous strength and athleticism and specific endurance.

Heavy squatting builds foundational strength. Everything else is secondary after raising your squat numbers. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

I admire Napoleon Bonaparte a lot, but people don't understand why. So I'll give you something a bit more relatable... For me, the greatest man outside of the French Emperor to have ever walked the earth is Paul Anderson. There are a few more great men out there, but Paul is something special to me. I'd let you do your own search of him as I won't do him justice with this post. But basically, on top of having strong moral values and being a brother in Christ, the dude was the strongest squatter in the history of lifting. I don't care if a boxer or wrestler can beat him. To me, in a strength-to-strength battle, he'll always come out a champion. If Napoleon is my hero on matters of intellect, Paul Anderson is my hero on matters of being a one-man army.

And I absolutely despise skinny and weak UFC fighters who have the arrogance to call themselves athletes when they can't lift a twig. I despise the Diaz brothers and Floyd Mayweather for the kind of style they represent. Really, in their respective sports, I absolutely despise them. I wanna be the antithesis to those abominations.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because squat strength is the meaning of masculinity. It's an expression of how powerful my inner spirit is.

I mean dude, if you transfer my psyche into the times of Ancient Greece in Sparta, I would of course devote my life into surviving the rigors of whatever they wanna throw at me with their military training program. But right now, I have the relative luxury to CHOOSE what to invest in. And deep inside of my heart, in ways I can't explain, I think the purest expression of human strength, the purest expression of greatness without silly things like money and fame, is your relative squatting strength. I say RELATIVE because it's not the absolute squatting strength you have. It's how much you can squat in relation to your age and how long you've been training. If you were born to be able to squat 1,000 pounds with zero training, I'd have zero respect for you compared to a naturally weak man who took his squat from 200 to 400 with hard work.

This is what I don't get..why? I think it might be a difference in ego or something. But how does squatting strength=greatness, and why does that matter?

I do it to gain confidence for myself. And nothing, and I mean nothing, gives me more self-worth and self-confidence than being stronger than everyone else and knowing I can defeat them all in a fair fight with my bare hands, boxing or wrestling.
The issue with this is that just by being stronger than everyone else, that doesn't mean you can beat them in a fair fight.

This is why I loathe the idea of being a strictly skilled martial artist. I want to be the kind of fighter with a balance of a lack of finesse but make up for it with ridiculous strength and athleticism and specific endurance.
Again though, why? If your self-worth is based on beating people in a fair fight, wouldn't it be a good thing to be able to actually..beat them in a fair fight?

I admire Napoleon Bonaparte a lot, but people don't understand why. So I'll give you something a bit more relatable... For me, the greatest man outside of the French Emperor to have ever walked the earth is Paul Anderson. There are a few more great men out there, but Paul is something special to me. I'd let you do your own search of him as I won't do him justice with this post. But basically, on top of having strong moral values and being a brother in Christ, the dude was the strongest squatter in the history of lifting. I don't care if a boxer or wrestler can beat him. To me, in a strength-to-strength battle, he'll always come out a champion. If Napoleon is my hero on matters of intellect, Paul Anderson is my hero on matters of being a one-man army.
I don't know this dude, so I'll have to look him up.

And I absolutely despise skinny and weak UFC fighters who have the arrogance to call themselves athletes when they can't lift a twig. I despise the Diaz brothers and Floyd Mayweather for the kind of style they represent. Really, in their respective sports, I absolutely despise them. I wanna be the antithesis to those abominations.
If they can win in a sport, they are athletes though. That's the only requirement needed to be an athlete. I'd even argue that if you're super strong but lose to everyone in a sport, you're not an athlete as far as that sports concerned.

I get that this pure strength is important to you, but the reasoning behind it is filled with contradictions and no clear answers. And like I said, this isn't just you, a lot of people seem to share this with you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was a fan of Paul Anderson since I was a kid.

I think he would have encouraged you not to quit before you start.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was a fan of Paul Anderson since I was a kid.

I think he would have encouraged you not to quit before you start.

Good to see you here, Buka.

Thank you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
You do realize you need cardio for grappling to? In a lot of ways grappling fitness is harder because at least in striking sparring you have some separation where you can just move around and get a break. In grappling you’re tied up with them then entire duration of the match