Would you do this? Parents beat daughters drug dealer up

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Updated: Wednesday, November 13 2013, 11:01 PM EST The parents of a young woman face criminal charges in Carroll County after police say they beat a man for giving their daughter drugs. FOX45 learned that doctors have treated and released the victim from the hospital. Police are still in the process of releasing information about the baseball bat assault, but FOX45 has confirmed that four adults have been accused of beating a man. William Costigan, Tanya Costigan, Daniel Delmar, and Chatherine Lonas are all facing first-degree burglary and assault charges. According to charging documents, two of the suspects are the parents of Kristin Delmar, who recently survived an overdose. Kristin's parents, including her mother Tonya, blame Kristin's boyfriend and suspected supplier - Eric Mandley. Police told FOX45, the four suspects broke into Mandley's home In Mount Airy on Sunday, and his sister witnessed the attack. Investigators say the two male suspects, kicked in the door, and then Costigan grabbed Mandley and began beating him with a wooden baseball bat while the other man stood by with a metal bat. Mandley's sister ran outside, and called 911. Police arrested the suspects, all of whom posted bail on Monday. While an on camera interview was denied, Kristins mother told FOX45 that she was concerned for her daughters well-being. According to investigators, police have not yet charged him with any crime.

Read More at: http://foxbaltimore.com/news/featur...aughters-drug-dealer-23424.shtml#.UoVXquKYYsE

As a cop I wouldnt because I have other ways to get him legally. If I wasn't a cop I dont think I would but I could see it happening

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not likely, but I wouldn't completely rule it out if all the legal methods failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, at least they went with the traditional wooden bat over the metal one...It has a nicer tone on impact...don't you think...

I have to agree with Dirty Dog...what can you do...

Here are some questions for the law enforcement here on martialtalk...If a father comes to you guys and says there is a dealer selling to his daughter...what happens next...I'm not looking to put you guys in a bad light...I just thought it should be clear how you guys are limited by the law...and how that is sometimes less than helpful when it comes to dealing with a problem like this.

For example...my brother broke up with a girl in high school...she convinced a real nut job of a guy to beat my brother up...he avoided the guy, we talked to the police...they said until he attacked...they couldn't do anything...eventually there was an encounter and it worked out okay, but no police were ever involved after the first discussion...

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are a number of issues here. In would seem that the girl had been using drugs in the past. Now the parents find out one of her suppliers. They want to blame someone for their daughter's behaviour. Blame the dealer.

Unfortunately if he wasn't there someone else would supply because people start taking drugs because they want to and they continue taking drugs because they want to. It is only when they get to the stage of wanting to stop that parents, friends or medical intervention will be successful.

To me the parents have with the best of intentions crossed the line and they will have a lot of public sympathy, but it is not the answer to their problem and now, it would seem, they will have a problem of their own.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, I would not organize an armed home invasion, proceed with it, and beat the guy up. Too over the top for me.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like it. Another news source used her full name.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/n...cle_d4b85795-924d-5b6b-bfd2-6f1fc7a4b6fa.html

This looks like her too. Filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2011. In her early 20s? What the...

http://ia600601.us.archive.org/14/items/gov.uscourts.mdb.581920/gov.uscourts.mdb.581920.docket.html

Anyway....obviously I don't know the whole story but it sounds like she's someone with a boatload of issues, and has had them for sometime. Maybe drugs are at the root of all of them.

I can understand the frustration. A good friend of mine owns a small multi-dwelling building. He takes a lot of pride in his building, his neighborhood, and treats his tenants like family....some of whom have rented from him for over 10 years. Across the street from them is a drug dealer. Doesn't deal to his residents, but it still means drugs and drug traffic in the neighborhood. Frustrating as hell to see it go on.

But, I still can't see organizing a home invasion to deal as a way of dealing with the problem.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks like it. Another news source used her full name.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/n...cle_d4b85795-924d-5b6b-bfd2-6f1fc7a4b6fa.html

This looks like her too. Filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2011. In her early 20s? What the...

http://ia600601.us.archive.org/14/items/gov.uscourts.mdb.581920/gov.uscourts.mdb.581920.docket.html

Anyway....obviously I don't know the whole story but it sounds like she's someone with a boatload of issues, and has had them for sometime. Maybe drugs are at the root of all of them.

I can understand the frustration. A good friend of mine owns a small multi-dwelling building. He takes a lot of pride in his building, his neighborhood, and treats his tenants like family....some of whom have rented from him for over 10 years. Across the street from them is a drug dealer. Doesn't deal to his residents, but it still means drugs and drug traffic in the neighborhood. Frustrating as hell to see it go on.

But, I still can't see organizing a home invasion to deal as a way of dealing with the problem.
Sounds like this was the straw that broke the camels back. And they took all the frustration for their daugherts bad choices on this guy

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not having read the links...their potential for violence (or otherwise unwise actions) might be part of the daughter's problems?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't let the drug dealer off so easy just because she is a wasted case. Drug dealers are part of the problem, if not the whole problem. If I can't buy drugs, I can't abuse them. If law enforcement isn't going to enforce the law, maybe the parents need to?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They could have tried the whole parenting thing.
I know this is a commonly held belief, but from experience in that field, parental guidance can only go so far. Ultimately the individual is responsible for their own actions. Once a child is of a certain age, which varies from case to case, nothing a parent can do will have any effect.
:asian:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What kind of proof did they have?

I do not advocate private justice, but if they had proof that the boyfriend was the one who gave her the drugs, and if nothing were done by the authorities, then I can understand why they did it.

I agree, that the girl wasn't exactly a saint, and her sense of morality is probably what got her in trouble in the first place, given that she made the conscious decision to live this kind of lifestyle.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know this is a commonly held belief, but from experience in that field, parental guidance can only go so far. Ultimately the individual is responsible for their own actions. Once a child is of a certain age, which varies from case to case, nothing a parent can do will have any effect.
:asian:

From talking to people who admit they are using, I generally get the impression that things have not been well in paradise from very early on. The small, subtle things...you know, the stuff that flies under the radar and makes the outside pity the parents when the kids mess up...

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, at least they went with the traditional wooden bat over the metal one...It has a nicer tone on impact...don't you think...

I have to agree with Dirty Dog...what can you do...

Here are some questions for the law enforcement here on martialtalk...If a father comes to you guys and says there is a dealer selling to his daughter...what happens next...I'm not looking to put you guys in a bad light...I just thought it should be clear how you guys are limited by the law...and how that is sometimes less than helpful when it comes to dealing with a problem like this.
It depends on how much info they provide. If it was pretty detailed or sounded legit. I'd forward the info to our drug unit. If it wasn't really creditable more I'm pissed at her boy friend so I'm calling the cops (which happens all the time). Then I'd run a little background on the guy and see if it's a valid complaint if not I'd do nothing if it seems semi possible I'd forward it to the drug guys. As a drug cop upon getting the info there are lots of ways I could proceed depending in the info that I was given

For example...my brother broke up with a girl in high school...she convinced a real nut job of a guy to beat my brother up...he avoided the guy, we talked to the police...they said until he attacked...they couldn't do anything...eventually there was an encounter and it worked out okay, but no police were ever involved after the first discussion...
See that's slightly different then a drug complaint. There really isn't much we can do about that legally. I'd tell the potential victim to seek a protection order and maybe depending on how serious the threat oa I'd go talk to all parties involved and warn against any violence. But in this state its not a crime to make threats. I can say I'm going to kill you or beat you up and its legal until you take some step towards doing the act. Like I'm coming to kill you and im stopped down the street from your house with a gun in my car or something like that.

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As someone who watched a former girlfriend fight - and lose to - her addiction to drugs, I have no issue with turning any dealer's skull into a canoe. Kill 'em all.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I would not do this. My focus would be on helping my daughter, getting her out of the environment she's in and getting her whatever help she needs. The goal, in my book, is to try and minimize any ties to the criminal elements, so organizing a raid would seem to be a bad idea.

Not to mention that their names are on the record now. We don't know how big or small potatoes this guy was, and this raid may have put the rest of his family in danger.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy it is necessary to act outside the law-to pursue…natural justice."
Frank Castle

Latest Discussions