Would you consider animal handling skills to be a martial art?

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know Steve Irwin was reported to have done MMA. Lots of biologists or specialized animal services jobs require handling dangerous animals, either in captivity or in the wild. It takes a large degree of skill to handle a venomous snake or a large crocodilian without getting seriously injured. Would you consider these to be martial arts?
I practice karate, Kobudo, Archery and Mounted Archery. As far as the relationship between horse and rider goes, it definitely is a facet of martial arts , although not a martial art in and of its self. Horse and rider share a physical connection as well as a energetic connection and a mental connection, there is a lot of give and take between horse and rider. I am also a Hunter, My preferred method is Archery, this involves a understanding of how the animal thinks, and the use of strategy in stalking , as well as the use of specific tactics, In this sense it uses MA understanding. I do not know about other Critters , but I will say the martial mind and understanding is used when dealing with animals , although because the goals of MA , Character development and virtues associated with them I don't think that simply handling animals is a MA , unless you add these otherwise missing elements.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Steve Irwin was reported to have done MMA. Lots of biologists or specialized animal services jobs require handling dangerous animals, either in captivity or in the wild. It takes a large degree of skill to handle a venomous snake or a large crocodilian without getting seriously injured. Would you consider these to be martial arts?
No. There’s definitely some overlap in some cases, and MA training might help (I’m certainly using my training when play-fighting my dogs), but I don’t know of an animal handling discipline with roots in war, combat, or fighting, other than some equestrianism.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. There’s definitely some overlap in some cases, and MA training might help (I’m certainly using my training when play-fighting my dogs), but I don’t know of an animal handling discipline with roots in war, combat, or fighting, other than some equestrianism.
K9?

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts does not have teeth, claws nor fangs! I will take martial arts any day!!!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good point. That could cross into MA, depending how we define it.
Since you guys have brought up horses and dogs, I would add that there are several types of animals that have been used in warfare over the millenia. I would think that skills in handling these animals in battle would definitely qualify as a martial art. Here are two more: falcons and elephants.

Elephants must be tough to control in battle, but when used, they were the Tiger tanks of their time:

0000war-elephants.jpg

Falcons and eagles are far more useful in sport hunting, and probably too valuable (and vulnerable) to use in all out battle. Still, I'd bet that falconers have used their birds to attack people at some point or another, like this:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you guys have brought up horses and dogs, I would add that there are several types of animals that have been used in warfare over the millenia. I would think that skills in handling these animals in battle would definitely qualify as a martial art. Here are two more: falcons and elephants.

Elephants must be tough to control in battle, but when used, they were the Tiger tanks of their time:

0000war-elephants.jpg

Falcons and eagles are far more useful in sport hunting, and probably too valuable (and vulnerable) to use in all out battle. Still, I'd bet that falconers have used their birds to attack people at some point or another, like this:

Agreed. If any of those disciplines were followed (including falconry for warfare use, rather than hunting) that would qualify as MA.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's still done by the Cavalry units here, it's a good skill and is used for displays, tattoos etc. The Canadian Mounties do it too.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is animal handling a martial art? Dunno. I saw a movie once where somebody threw a cat at another person. Claws first. I guess that would count. Kinda mean to the cat though.

Here's another question. Is cat throwing science?

Sasaki Kojiro had a monkey that he threw at someone during a duel.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you handling the animal, or actively fighting it? If I'm training to square off against a bear then yeah I'm probably training martial arts (the martial art probably wouldn't be "Bear-fighting", it'd be wrestling I'm using in that context). If I'm keeping a snake from biting me, not necessarily.
That very much depends on the snake species and size.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Samurai ‘Bugei Juhappan’ or 18 martial arts that they were supposed to be fluent within included horsemanship (Bujutsu)

• Kyūjutsu, archery.

• Sōjutsu, fighting with a yari (spear).

• Kenjutsu, fencing.

• Iaijutsu, sword-drawing.

• Tantōjutsu, knife-fighting.

• Juttejutsu, fighting with a jutte (truncheon).

• Shurikenjutsu, throwing shuriken.

• Naginatajutsu, fighting with a polearm, usually a naginata.

• Hōjutsu, shooting (with firearms).

• Bōjutsu, fighting with a (staff).

• Kusarigamajutsu, fighting with a chain-and-sickle.

• Hojōjutsu, tying up an opponent.

• Bajutsu, horseriding.

• Suieijutsu, swimming in armour.

• Ninjutsu, espionage.[citation needed]

Other arts that were often included in the list are:

• Chikujōjutsu, fortifying a castle against siege.

• Yawara, wrestling.

• Fukumibarijutsu, needle-spitting.

• Yabusame, mounted archery.

• Mōjirijutsu, fighting with a barbed staff.[6][page needed]

• Yadomejutsu, deflecting flying arrows.

• Saiminjutsu, hypnotism.[7]

• Jūjutsu, grappling and fighting unarmed.

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't think I can answer this question but let me just say... This is a very intriguing question.

Latest Discussions