Would this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've heard that in the Army in basic training they teach you unarmed fighting techniques and they teach you quick ways to kill with your bare hands. Im not sure if this is true but I heard that upon completing basic, or after you've been in the Army long enough and have learned enough, that you're about as good as the average black belt in a fight.

Unless the individual soldier or marine seeks out specific training in unarmed combatives or other martial arts they will not be well trained. I have had the opportunity to assist with the instruction of one of the SF groups (my instructor was the contract instructor for them), and they were for the most part just as inexperienced as most of the civilians I have trained. Far better "combat mentality" that most civilians, heck, better than me, most of them had seen combat, but their unarmed or knife/stick/machete skillsets (on average) weren't anything to speak of.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unless the individual soldier or marine seeks out specific training in unarmed combatives or other martial arts they will not be well trained. I have had the opportunity to assist with the instruction of one of the SF groups (my instructor was the contract instructor for them), and they were for the most part just as inexperienced as most of the civilians I have trained. Far better "combat mentality" that most civilians, heck, better than me, most of them had seen combat, but their unarmed or knife/stick/machete skillsets (on average) weren't anything to speak of.

It's just not there wheel house. Hand to hand combat in today's battle fields is kinda rare. We don't form the line and charge anymore. The military spends it's time training on more common occurrences.

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Isn't that like a Judo chop from those old movies? :lol:

Don't underestimate the power of the judo chop.

It works against multiple opponents and is very intimidating to potential attackers, as proven in this incident:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are confused. That was not a judo chop.
It was the much more devastating judy chop. Second only to the Dim Mak Death Touch in shear lethality.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've heard that in the Army in basic training they teach you unarmed fighting techniques and they teach you quick ways to kill with your bare hands. Im not sure if this is true but I heard that upon completing basic, or after you've been in the Army long enough and have learned enough, that you're about as good as the average black belt in a fight.

Oh dear lord… no. No on many levels.

Firstly, in order to be lethal, they have weapons. In fact, most martial arts (historically) are exactly the same… if you intend to kill, you use a weapon. Unarmed isn't about killing, and hasn't ever been. Next, basic training is exactly that, basic… in fact, only a small amount is dedicated to actual combative training… and in some armies, there is no time given for unarmed methods at all. It's just not seen as a priority, which makes it a waste of time (when everything is taken into account).

So no, to pretty much every word there. I don't know where you hear all these things, but you need to listen to better sources.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know former marines and according to them you are taught unarmed fighting. You don't spend as much time and its not as big a priority as training with weapons, for obvious reasons, but you are taught how to fight without weapons. The reason being is for confidence. A marine on the front line will obviously be using a rifle or some other weapon that's equally or more effective but the reason they're taught to fight unarmed is because they're some situations where it can be used but mostly to give the soldier self confidence.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know former marines and according to them you are taught unarmed fighting. You don't spend as much time and its not as big a priority as training with weapons, for obvious reasons, but you are taught how to fight without weapons. The reason being is for confidence. A marine on the front line will obviously be using a rifle or some other weapon that's equally or more effective but the reason they're taught to fight unarmed is because they're some situations where it can be used but mostly to give the soldier self confidence.

Right. The Marine Corps combat program awards their Black Belt after 150 hours of training. So, less hours than most of us work in a month.

Yup. That's some deadly stuff right there....

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Isn't that like a Judo chop from those old movies? :lol:

known as a rabbit chop from there. It used to be a cool street fighting move.

i have never tried it.

as far as the kick goes.

yeah why not? I mean you are sort of heading that way anyway because you want to be near that gun so a shot on the way in even if it isn't an ideal range would be viable.

i would still be trying for that weapon as well. If you could sneak across and grab a head arm you should be able to control him pretty well while you try to secure the gun.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Wow, that must be it. I can see how a paltry amount of H2H training could really install confidence in a soldier when having to face something like, oh, I don't know, a tank or numerous hostiles firing on you...clearly being a crack-shot sniper just won't give you that same level of confidence...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that must be it. I can see how a paltry amount of H2H training could really install confidence in a soldier when having to face something like, oh, I don't know, a tank or numerous hostiles firing on you...clearly being a crack-shot sniper just won't give you that same level of confidence...

LOL! I'd imagine the training was pretty pointless too in giving self confidence. We could save a lot of money training troops couldn't we, just give them a bit of H2H and Bobs your uncle. :D

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL! I'd imagine the training was pretty pointless too in giving self confidence. We could save a lot of money training troops couldn't we, just give them a bit of H2H and Bobs your uncle. :D
Careful, if government get wind of this, may justify even more MoD cuts:
"You mean, we don't actually need to fork out on effective 21C assault and protective kit for the troops?"
"That's right, we can just train them in H2H, it doesn't cost a penny and we have a unit of "ultra-confident" killing machines!"

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score

Why would unarmed training give more confidence than knowing you can handle your primary weapons well? Back in the army I would take my boys to the shooting range any time I had the chanse, close quater combat training was far from the top of the list as long as a bare minimum was satisfied.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

that is why we still do bayonets.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bayonets are for when bullets run out.
Do you have to wait until they are in close quarter distance to use those bayonets or can those things be thrown? : )

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
that is why we still do bayonets.
Is that still done is it? I kind of can't picture modern infantry stabbing away at sand bags to build confidence but may be completely wrong there...does anyone with current military experience, Tez3 maybe, know if this is still practiced to any degree?
Appreciate the extra distance gained but I wonder if it came to that if you would be better depending on and employing decent knife skills?

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you know what happens if you throw your knife in a fight?

You lose your knife...

When I throw a knife it goes something like this:

I lose my knife,
You lose your life

See, I told you I was into all that soft, soppy poetry writing too :woot:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that still done is it? I kind of can't picture modern infantry stabbing away at sand bags to build confidence but may be completely wrong there...does anyone with current military experience, Tez3 maybe, know if this is still practiced to any degree?
Appreciate the extra distance gained but I wonder if it came to that if you would be better depending on and employing decent knife skills?
Australia does it. England did a bayonet charge in Afghanistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions