Closed fist vs Palm?

Cagekicker

White Belt
Reaction score
What is more effective? I'm trying to reprogram my brain into using open hand strikes when striking at the head. My instinct is to strike with a fist to the head. Unless up close then it's elbows all the way. I do not train to kick much above the waist. I can but I just don't. I have used a front snap kick to an assailants head. He was mounted on my partner choking him with a front choke. I kicked him he went lights out we took him to jail. One of the issues I'm having is wrist flexibility. I have very tight wrist. Any time I have to do palm heal strikes to a bag or upper chest of another my wrist and forearms start hurting real quick. The top of my hand where my knuckle joist star will hit first because I cannot pull my hand flat. This really sucks. Is this a common problem that can be fixed through constant stretching? Lastly do you feel a palm heal to the head is just as effective as a punch? I don't mean head like the forehead I mean head area including face and jaw ect.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good topic! If one doesn't train punches I don't recommend using them but I suppose it's a natural instinct for most. I do train punches but for street application Id only recommend targeting the jaw. I've done a number on my knuckles punching guys in the head before but the damage to them was worse. I'd think wrist flexibility would be less of an issue when hitting the head due to the heads shape. I've had trouble working palms on the bag before and I have pretty flexible wrists. I imagine a palm to the chest would be similar. For training palms in real time we'll often Palm the shoulder. The idea is if I can hit the shoulder I can hit the head and the body movement required to move the shoulder out of the way also moves your head out of the way. Another option is hammer fists, pretty safe for anyone to through just watch that you don't make contact with the pinky first.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just can't get my head around open palms so I will hit closed fist as a personal preference.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hit with whatever the situation dictates. There are times when a fist offers the most direct line of attack; other times, the edge of the hand, and other times still, the palm. This is really a natural thing for me, and happens without my consciously thinking or choosing, but that's probably just thanks to the way we practice in the system that I train.

The palm does have a distinct advantage when attacking the face; not only is it safer, but it's less likely to glance off at an awkard angle than a fist is, as you have more contact surface. It's also allows you to get under the chin and throw the head back, or otherwise control the opponent's head and take his balance.

If you only ever practice one technique, such as punching, for example, you won't naturally apply other weapons when they fit the situation - nor will you be confident in your ability to generate power with them. So, it's a good idea to think about what weapon is best suited to each situation or angle of attack that is open to you, and practice them all. After all, if you don't internalize it in practice, it won't come out in application.

It's worth noting that, I do feel that most weapons other than punches are better suited for close-range fighting and self defense than point sparring and such. If you're always sparring at a distance, and/or using gloves, you can't really learn to make use of open-hand techniques.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it's a question of which is more effective, they are both equally effective I believe. Although I train to strike with fists in MA, I train open hand strikes at home for SD, mostly as it lessens the chances of damaging your hand (and therefore having to continue with one hand). If you are having issues with wrists flexibility, try stretching, warm up exercises used by Ju-Jitsi & Aikido.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree that it depends on the target but normally I would use open hand to the head unless I had a set shot to the jaw. Open hand shots whether knife hand, heel palm or open hand are generally faster than a punch due to the relaxed arm, unless of course you practise punching with a relaxed arm, in which case the speed is the same.

As for elbows, I also agree. If the range is right the elbow is king.
:asian:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you're used to. You mentioned that it's painful when you do palm strikes on the bag or to the chest of another person - is the lack of flexibility preventing you from having the proper angle, is it hindering the actual strike, or is it just a pain in the butt? What do you like hitting with better, fists or palms?

It's tougher as a cop. (Isn't every damn thing?) An altercation that leads to you breaking your hand puts you at more risk than most. If there's escalation and you can't draw your weapon because of a broken hand - uh oh. I know some say "I'll draw it anyway, broken hand or not" fine in theory, but we all know how that works. Makes handgun retention SO much more difficult as well.

Do you like slapping? Do you work on any dope slaps that come from the side as opposed to straight like most palm heels? And what kind of punches do you tend to throw most often? Straight or more angled? More of a Karate type punch or more like a boxer? Have you hurt your hands much from punching? (I know, I have more questions than answers :))

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not wading into the "this vs that" and what is best or when to use what, here's what I used to do to strengthen my wrists, both for gymnastics and for weight lifting and also for wrist strength, flexibility and grip for judo.

Get on all fours with your palms on the floor and your hands facing backwards, ie: your fingers pointing towards your knees (instead of out ahead of you). Get used to holding your hands in this position for spells of time. After a while when the flexibility is coming and you feel less tightness, start exerting downwards pressure through and into your wrists and hands. Like weight lifting you can do say three sets of 15 reps, with each rep being exerting the pressure for say ten seconds, release pressure and then reapply after say .5 to 1 second. After time you can build up the downwards pressure and the flex of the wrist.

After a couple weeks of this, move onto doing handstands leaning against the wall in your house or wherever you have space to train. Hold your body weight for increased periods of time in handstand position. Again once you have built up the strength and used to this, start doing push ups while in hand stand against wall, with a small range of motion at first then to full range of verticle push up over time. By now you will have both flexible and strong wrists and can palm strike your way through a brick wall and rip out the guy's heart behind said wall in one go.

Aside from the above, you could also use traditional wrist strength training exercises from goju ryu, look them up on the net, and/or by holding a light dumbbell or short steel rod/bar in you fist supported on your knee or on a bench and turn it left to right and flex up and downwards. As long as you use a full range of wrist motion so that it is flexibility as well as strength that you are building, this should be fine.
Peace

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It all depends upon the target of the strike. For a soft body target, a fist can be used to great effect. Going further, using a one-knuckle punch can be extremely effective. On a hard body target, for example the head/face, from a SD perspective it is generally accepted that an open hand strike is the better choice.

• Closed hand runs the risk of self injury i.e. boxers fracture. This will limit options concerning manual dexterity i.e. operating a cell phone to call for help, accessing and operating a firearm (both in firing, loading, reloading and clearing a malfunction), using a concealed or improvised weapon or something as 'simple' as using keys to lock a door or start a car. In short, it limits SD options depending upon the severity of the self injury.
  • An open wound i.e. cutting your knuckles on their teeth/bone structure now opens you up to blood borne pathogen. This is an extremely important consideration, and one that is often overlooked.

Couple of points to consider; First, professional boxers wear gloves (and hand wraps) to protect their hands. Even with this protection they still get injured in the ring. Professional boxers outside the ring have broken their hands in street brawls. Secondly, WWII combatives, possibly the most effective (and brutal) SD system around advocates the use of open hand strikes to the head/face i.e. the chin jab.

This doesn't mean that exceptions exist, but the general rule is for an open hand to the head/face, particularly when one is not wearing hand protection. As pointed out, elbow strikes are an exceptional tool and I'd personally rather use an elbow if applicable than a closed fist.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Elbows are tricky to get off. And they don't normally have the ko power of a punch. Unless you can do fancy uppercut elbows which are even harder to pull off. Or you have sucker elbowed the guy.

I have a scar over my left eye from an elbow I ate. But it was never a case where I was rocked from it. Having a scar sucks though.

So the elbow punch thing is kind of tricky. They are generally used for different strategies rather than one being the better strike.

I have open hand hit people but I just don't get the juice I would hitting them. I have cut my hands fighting but never broken them to the point I couldn't use it. I have also cut my hands wrestling so I don't really know how easily you can protect them.

Where the open palm has its issues is that the fingers are exposed. As you are launching the thing forwards at speed you need to be careful they don't catch a blocking arm. Same with the target. It moves say the head dips forwards then you wrist lock yourself.

Using your hands at all as an impact weapon has risks. And my advice is test it live before you rely on it. Regardless of what hand method you use.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Elbows are tricky to get off. And they don't normally have the ko power of a punch. Unless you can do fancy uppercut elbows which are even harder to pull off. Or you have sucker elbowed the guy.

I have a scar over my left eye from an elbow I ate. But it was never a case where I was rocked from it. Having a scar sucks though.

So the elbow punch thing is kind of tricky. They are generally used for different strategies rather than one being the better strike.

I have open hand hit people but I just don't get the juice I would hitting them. I have cut my hands fighting but never broken them to the point I couldn't use it. I have also cut my hands wrestling so I don't really know how easily you can protect them.

Where the open palm has its issues is that the fingers are exposed. As you are launching the thing forwards at speed you need to be careful they don't catch a blocking arm. Same with the target. It moves say the head dips forwards then you wrist lock yourself.

Using your hands at all as an impact weapon has risks. And my advice is test it live before you rely on it. Regardless of what hand method you us
Wow, it is like you are speaking Martian right now. :)

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Using your hands at all as an impact weapon has risks. And my advice is test it live before you rely on it. Regardless of what hand method you use.

I agree with Touch of Death, you're speaking martian. I don't know how you do an elbow strike, but I'll take an elbow strike over a punch any day of the week. Particularly CQC elbow strikes which DEFINITELY have K.O. power. More so than a punch and then some. I'll submit it isn't the strike(s), it's how you've learned to use them. Case in point, the palm heel (or chin jab) having exposed fingers. Not an issue as the fingers only make contact if you're doing something akin to the Tiger Claw. And in that case it is against a soft tissue target. Otherwise, using something like the classic WWII Chin Jab, the fingers initially aren't in contact with a hard body target.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Everybody strikes differently. And I mean all kinds of differently. I've been fortunate to have learned punching from great trainers, I love punching and have never broken my hands. Had some nasty bruises and sprains on them, but who here hasn't? Broken plenty of fingers, but usually blocking, never punching. But elbows? If you like to fight "in the kitchen", elbows are the greatest thing since sliced bread. In my opinion, properly thrown elbows are much stronger than punching. And I can take a good punch - but have no desire to ever get hit by an elbow again.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with Touch of Death, you're speaking martian. I don't know how you do an elbow strike, but I'll take an elbow strike over a punch any day of the week. Particularly CQC elbow strikes which DEFINITELY have K.O. power. More so than a punch and then some. I'll submit it isn't the strike(s), it's how you've learned to use them. Case in point, the palm heel (or chin jab) having exposed fingers. Not an issue as the fingers only make contact if you're doing something akin to the Tiger Claw. And in that case it is against a soft tissue target. Otherwise, using something like the classic WWII Chin Jab, the fingers initially aren't in contact with a hard body target.

Ok I am talking about standard elbow strikes I have seen or used. They don't knock people out as reliably as punching. There might be some special cqc elbow that I have not been exposed to that is more efficient than say Thai style elbows. And would be interested to see how your version is more effective.

Elbows do knock people out but generally under different circumstances.

I think I get the Martian bit. I will try to explain the difference.

When I am discussing effectiveness I am saying effectiveness against a moving and resisting oponant. Which adds complexity to these moves so a chin jab on a stationary target is safe as houses. Against a moving reacting target has risks. Having used palm heels live in sparring and in fights hands get caught and injured.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would teach a woman to fight with her elbows, before fighting with her fists. (Her tiny little fists)
Sean

I can't see why there would be a cause to teach a woman one or the other. I would assume you would give that woman as many tools as you can.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok I am talking about standard elbow strikes I have seen or used. They don't knock people out as reliably as punching. There might be some special cqc elbow that I have not been exposed to that is more efficient than say Thai style elbows. And would be interested to see how your version is more effective.

Elbows do knock people out but generally under different circumstances.

I think I get the Martian bit. I will try to explain the difference.

When I am discussing effectiveness I am saying effectiveness against a moving and resisting oponant. Which adds complexity to these moves so a chin jab on a stationary target is safe as houses. Against a moving reacting target has risks. Having used palm heels live in sparring and in fights.
If you get real close, all those strikes you mention lead with the elbow, which make them the second strike in a sequence; however, I am a big fan of the upward elbow to the chin, in might not knock them out, but it does leave them open for a knock out. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you get real close, all those strikes you mention lead with the elbow, which make them the second strike in a sequence; however, I am a big fan of the upward elbow to the chin, in might not knock them out, but it does leave them open for a knock out. :)

Second strike as in punch then elbow of the one hand?

Hitting them with the elbow is the trick. They get evaded and get blocked a lot because they don't have the range of motion of a hand strike. And you have to hit really flush to make it more than a cutting strike.

Otherwise as to exactly why elbows don't ko like punches is kind of guesswork. Statistically they don't in competition. And maybe again it is because they don't have that range of motion to get a good bit of speed up.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Second strike as in punch then elbow of the one hand?

Hitting them with the elbow is the trick. They get evaded and get blocked a lot because they don't have the range of motion of a hand strike. And you have to hit really flush to make it more than a cutting strike.

Otherwise as to exactly why elbows don't ko like punches is kind of guesswork. Statistically they don't in competition. And maybe again it is because they don't have that range of motion to get a good bit of speed up.
Secondary as in, if you get close the elbow and fore-arm will, often times, hit the body before the fist reaches it's target, but I am a mauler. :)

Latest Discussions