Knife Violence Video On Facebook

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a pretty graphic knife attack on video that I saw on facebook. If you have facebook
it should be easy to view on my site:

https://www.facebook.com/InstinctiveResponseTraining/posts/371327546325773

Notice the knife perpetrator has his hand behind his back to hide/access his knife.
Always watch peoples hands and know where they put them! Sad video and thoughts
and prayers to the victim and his family.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
as I said on your page:

It is sad to see how long people stood around watching one even still trying to get through the door as they where struggling by it

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is one thing that mystifies me at times. People in need and no one helps. Personally I do not get it!

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
When it comes to intervening in a situation as deadly as a knife encounter you have to take into account several things. First being that you may have to kill or seriously injure to person with the knife to stop them, hownany people are prepared for this. You can't just calmy take the knife from the situation, you risk turning the attackers focus to you and there is no guarantee anyone else will help you. It also may not be immediately evident as to why the attacker is attacking the victim. Maybe the victim raped the attackers family member, maybe they're both criminals? These are extreme scenarios but then again a knife attack is pretty extreme to begin with, if you're going to intervene you'd better be ready to take a life to end the threat if necessary. I'd like to think I'd help, but two young men in an altercation? It's very different from a man knife attacking a woman, which still may also involve a somewhat reasonable motivation. You can't fault people for not getting involved.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily jump into a situation where two guys are getting into a fistfight.

I'd lay money that most of the onlookers in that video had no idea that there was a knife involved, certainly the guy with the white shirt didn't.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On many levels you certainly cannot fault people for not getting involved. Yes, there are so many factors involved that it certainly eliminates a lot of people from helping. (ie. they have a loved one with them, they have no skill set to deal with violence, etc, etc.)

Yet, I am always amazed at situations where violence is happening and nobody helps. I remember seeing a police officer video where the officer was losing control of a situation with several people around watching and no one helped. There was no knife involved but if the officer was incapacitated what is to say the person would not take his gun and kill him and or one of the people standing around. All it would have taken was one hand for the officer to gain the advantage and handcuff the criminal. Still no one helped!

I think RTKCMB hit it close to the nail on the head in that voyeurism and a sense that someone else will do some thing holds a lot of people back.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think the example of the officer is different. Two drunk guys working out their bit of social violence, I won't get involved, I don't know what led up to it and most of the time I don't care. With an officer I get to immediately identify who is "right" in the fight and would likely assist if it was needed.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also think it depends on the people. Most of the people I hang out with are LEO's, Corrections, High Level Security, etc. In general someone in this field will come to someone's aid because of their make up. John Q public maybe not so much!

I would agree that the officer compared to a general public fight is a very different situation! Just as extreme violence is different from a bar room fight. Plus all the other factors that can come into play ie. protecting your wife by getting her out of there, etc.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As A police Officer Ive had far more people jump in to help the guy Im trying to arrest get away then has ever jumped in to help me.

Latest Discussions