Would this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was going to put something in there about "wife" also but then thought better about getting another thread locked :eek: (still not sure about these smileys)

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Australia does it. England did a bayonet charge in Afghanistan.
Three hundred years ago or recent? Why would you do that, had the whole troop run out of ammo?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should be noted that the British soldier who lead the bayonet charge was from the Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment not as stated in the article.
Yes using the bayonet is still part of the British military training and the iconic bayonet charge to attack the sandbags is still done by recruits. And great fun it is too watching them. :D
Also awarded for bravery BBC News - Gurkha who repelled Taliban attack gets bravery medal

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you go, this is from a documentary made at the Infantry Training Centre at Catterick, where I am. The Gurkha recruits also do their training here, they come straight from selection in Nepal to cold, wet and windy North Yorkshire.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you have to wait until they are in close quarter distance to use those bayonets or can those things be thrown? : )

If you think they are needed you would go "BAYONETS ON!" before storming a position.

As for throwing I`d rather hurl a rock.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you think they are needed you would go "BAYONETS ON!" before storming a position.

Yes. Throw a rock and keep your knife. Or better yet... throw a grenade.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Jebus, just to be clear, I was kidding on that one!!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jebus, just to be clear, I was kidding on that one!!

Sergeant Zim says you don`t frakking kid around with bayonets. MEDIC! :D

sgt-zim.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bayonets don't work too well on tanks.

Well funny you should say that but my OH who drove Scorpion tracked vehicles in the RAF Regiment says that a well placed bayonet in the tracks would stop it quite nicely. ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off topic sorry but I might not get back on again to post on proper place ( mods please move/delete when sorted?) I'm having massive difficulties getting onto the MT, when I do I can't click on 'new posts', can't click on messages or alerts latter goes haywire whizzing around if I do. Having probs using smileys too. Whole site is taking ages to load. This is on my tablet as well not just computer, neither are connected to each other.
If someone please could direct this to appropriate person I'd be grateful. Thank you!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Three hundred years ago or recent? Why would you do that, had the whole troop run out of ammo?

I am guessing you have never been in the military?

First, there is something about a bayonet on a rifle that instills more fear that just a charge while firing your rifle. I guess it implies a more dangerous intimacy or something. That may have been one thing that helped the British soldiers mentioned by Tez3, as well as their displayed audacity.

Second, bayonets are not just for offense, but defense as well. In a conflict like the recent ones we have had in Iraq and Afghanistan, massed attacks have not been the norm. But they are still possible. Even if not a mass attack, you may still be attacked by a superior force that attempts to keep you penned down until they get to your position. As the defender, you might want your bayonet fixed to your rifle; you may be able to thrust with it to greater advantage that shooting, or be unable to shoot.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am guessing you have never been in the military?

First, there is something about a bayonet on a rifle that instills more fear that just a charge while firing your rifle. I guess it implies a more dangerous intimacy or something. That may have been one thing that helped the British soldiers mentioned by Tez3, as well as their displayed audacity.

Second, bayonets are not just for offense, but defense as well. In a conflict like the recent ones we have had in Iraq and Afghanistan, massed attacks have not been the norm. But they are still possible. Even if not a mass attack, you may still be attacked by a superior force that attempts to keep you penned down until they get to your position. As the defender, you might want your bayonet fixed to your rifle; you may be able to thrust with it to greater advantage that shooting, or be unable to shoot.

I had thought by my posts and questions that was patently clear! : ) I defer to someone like you with military experience, no qualms about that at all! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions