Worst/Weirdest Martial Arts for self defence?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I sure wish they made Shotokan guys like that back in my day. Would have saved me a whole bunch of broken ribs.

As for weirdest Martial Art - I have never actually seen anyone doing Monkey Kung Fu. I've only seen it in magazines years ago, so I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about (nothing new there) but if I were to lose a fight to a practioner of that art my friends would make my life miserable.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would not reccomend this art.. Grand Celestial Do!

The Undeniable Truth

THAT is the most awesome thing I've ever seen in Martial Arts. How could I not have been aware of this before. Thanks for posting that, Cirdan, I needed some sunshine this morning!

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent, i'm going to start working on my pulsory blasts ASAP,

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone have any Martial arts that would be completely useless in a self defence situation. Please give senario, result and explanation. Should be quite funny.​
I would have to say TKD in its current state. There was a time when TKD had a lot of respect as a fighting art. But not so much anymore. It's an entertaining Olympic sport but I wouldn't count on it in a serious street fight. Too many 10 year old black belts to take it seriously.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have to say TKD in its current state. There was a time when TKD had a lot of respect as a fighting art. But not so much anymore. It's an entertaining Olympic sport but I wouldn't count on it in a serious street fight. Too many 10 year old black belts to take it seriously.

You're painting TKD with a brush that is far too wide. We have zero baby black belts in our program. And we're far from the only school teaching TKD without any interest whatsoever in the Olympic sport.
I teach TKD and rely on it in physical confrontations in the ER all the time. And I do so with TKD "in its current state".

Last edited:

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not a balanced appraisal.

There are plenty of aspects of Taekwondo that are viable for self defence application.

Maybe you're looking in the wrong places.

Incidentally, we do have poom grades in our group i.e. Provisional first dans under the age of 16. Their poom grade, and the expectations at testing are different to those of an adult dan grade, and they are trained separately. I don't see this as a bad thing. At the moment, they know the forms and basic punch kick block techniques. Over the next fifteen to twenty years, they will become highly competent as the leaders of our art. It's a form of succession planning.

The adults in our group certainly have the tools to defend themselves.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe you should get out more.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it could be said I'm painting TKD with a broad brush. But I'm painting with my understanding of what I witnessed and experienced over many years. I'm sure everyone on this board could be accused of the same thing regarding various arts.
If you read the title of the thread, it's obvious that every response is going to be an opinion. And that's my opinion. Right or wrong. Regardless of hurt feelings.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes it could be said I'm painting TKD with a broad brush. But I'm painting with my understanding of what I witnessed and experienced over many years. I'm sure everyone on this board could be accused of the same thing regarding various arts.
If you read the title of the thread, it's obvious that every response is going to be an opinion. And that's my opinion. Right or wrong. Regardless of hurt feelings.

Wrong, in this case.

Latest Discussions