Best self defence art?

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I interpreted Remi Lessore's comment more in the sense of the best defense is a good offense as usually interpreted in self-defense, i.e., after things start you should steal the momentum/timing/rhythym of the fight and go to striking rather than blocking...
Ah, ok, that makes sense.

Overwhelming an incoming attack by "beating him to the punch" is a key principle in lots of Aikijujutsu and traditional Hapkido techniques.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's not the martial art, it's the martial artist.

Someone who trains diligently in ___ will outperform someone who trains half-assed in ___. Fill in the blanks as desired.

vforcesfc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe in the individual has a lot to do with it....I believe if you are able to pick up the techniques quickly and use them to there full potential then you are good, it doesnt mean everyone will be good at it....That is why I created my system, I tried (Thats all I can do :) ) to create simple, effective movements that you can use as reactionary attacks instead of a thoughtful combatives approach, meaning you have to think about your next move.
I teach on how to use these moves and rapid close sequence attacks so when your heart rate is up and you begin getting tunnel vision, breathing is difficult, motor skills deterorate and so on, you are still able to defend and attack. So the more realistic under high stress and you can still see the systems techniques you are training in is a good system to be in....

Agree?

Sanchin-J

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Technically, there really is no "best" Self Defense art. Instead, you as the student must decide which art caters best to your needs and standards. Some arts focus on a more aggressive approach to training, some arts don't, do some research into the different styles in your area and talk to the instructors, I'm sure you will find something that suits you.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
in the end the best self defense art is the one you are well trained in, continue to train in regularly and can use when attacked... I would tend to suggest one of the older arts that has NOT been modified for sport competition, and is taught 'old school' ... but what you know and can use fast and effectively is the one that will save your ***!

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is no best art, to many varibles.

For me it's Icho Yama Ryu Aiki Jujutsu because we center on self defense above all else.
We throw, takedown, joint lock (and destroy), choke, neck crank, strike and grapple.

We train for one on one and multple attack scenarios, we train with and against common weapons like knives, clubs, guns, garrotes, bottles, improvissed weapons and the like.

And still I need more, so I train with a group that does Pekiti Tarsia and Pencak Silat a few times a month and work on what I learn up there.

The best martial art is the one YOU create from your own studies in legitamate arts.
When I fight, it's me, not Jujutsu, it's DylJutsu.

brycemaster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Many people agree (and disagree) with me here, but cross-training almost never goes amiss, apart from some extremes i.e. Aikido/Karate. But I trained in Muay Thai to improve my striking speed and force and To-Shin Do for the actual self defence aspect, the only problem is, if you do both at the same time (like I did) the two can conflict, like some of the more gentle techniques in To-Shin Do where made more difficult by all the hours I spent kneeing and elbowing pads. Really it's all down to you, your instructor, what you want, and what you're going to do about it.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on what the best martial art is for self defence. What do you all think is the best, in your own opinions? Thanks.

After good thought on, there is no best martial art in my view. It's up the individuals ability and training period.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
After good thought on, there is no best martial art in my view. It's up the individuals ability and training period.

My preference is for Okinawan Karate. its both hard and soft, linear and circular. it is extremely effective in an altercation, and I have had the unfortunate experience of testing it when I knew a lot less of it then I do now... Also unlike some styles kobujitsu (weapons art) is normally taught as part of the system in most Okinawan styles.

but the most effective for you is the one you know and can use.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I'd say It's what you can use effectively. However, thinking about this and not wanting to be "generic" like my answer has become, who are we defending against? Other MA ists? Street Fighters? Boxers? A drunk with one big haymaker? I think this is usually the type of question that is asked about what is best to deal with other trained artists. All seem to be designed for a "one puncher" and are therefore equal.

Seriously, we all know MMA and Kempo is the best!!!
icon12.gif
icon12.gif
:p :p

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My preference is for Okinawan Karate. its both hard and soft, linear and circular. it is extremely effective in an altercation, and I have had the unfortunate experience of testing it when I knew a lot less of it then I do now... Also unlike some styles kobujitsu (weapons art) is normally taught as part of the system in most Okinawan styles.

but the most effective for you is the one you know and can use.
I have to agree with you

DatFlow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do not know if it was said or not, but I say Aikido, Just because everything rely's on the attackers attack's do carryout your move's... When I took Aikido, we learned grapples to throw's which I found VERY usefull in self defence....

ChadWarner

Green Belt
Reaction score

The instructors skill, and perseverence, and art. Not all arts are created equal and not all versions of an art form are taught by knowledgeable instructors.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not know if it was said or not, but I say Aikido, Just because everything rely's on the attackers attack's do carryout your move's... When I took Aikido, we learned grapples to throw's which I found VERY usefull in self defence....

well if you are trained properly in a traditional Okinawan Karate style, you learn to grapple and throw as well as brake and strike and lock joints... our local Aikido sensei who is a friend of my sensei watched us train and made the remark to use senior belts that " * we do not do any thing you folks do not do in your style!* " so lots of paths up the mountain.. sooner or latter you end up the same place basically.

vforcesfc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow, this went on longer then I expected....Everyone makes the point, YOU find something that fits you, until then never give up on cross training and always remain the student....

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, this went on longer then I expected....Everyone makes the point, YOU find something that fits you, until then never give up on cross training and always remain the student....
Yeah, i'd say that's dead on with the cross-training.....cross-train and find something that works for you....because there is no one-size fits all art.

Sagat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Any Martial art that you have trained in long enough, PROVIDED......in that martial art you regularly spar FULL CONTACT.

Any art in which you do not experience being hit - i.e strike or takedown, might get by in a street fight, provided you don't get hit yourself.....................umm yeah............there's a BIG chance that in nearly every fight you will sustain damage of SOME SORT, how you take that hit can determine the winner.

Having said that......Best self-defence art?

If it had to be one I'd say Muay Thai, because, chances are you'll be standing when the fight starts. Stand up grappling with knees, elbows and take downs for close encounters. Plus strong striking from a distance. Provided you don't get taken down you'll do well. EVen if the opponent has a weapon, Muay Thai has great footwork.

Even if your opponent has trained in a martial art before - Muay Thai has strong enough stand up to combat other stand-up fighting styles. Worst case scenario you punch-on with a seasoned boxer [strong chin, used to full-contact] in which case get in close, grapple and knee the **** outta him.

Otherwise cross-training would be ideal for the street -

Stand-up - Muay Thai - simple strikes with power are more than enough for the street.

Ground - Wrestling [for take-downs] BJJ [for submissions once on the ground]

I don't mention much about weapon defence because simply put, if your striking is strong/fast enough, your opponent will be knocked out. Generally speaking, very few people have a conditioned chin, so a little bit of power and alot of speed can do wonders. I have proven this theory to myself.