Best self defence art?

Im redy 4 u

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on what the best martial art is for self defence. What do you all think is the best, in your own opinions? Thanks.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Barfighting. The longer you survive the better you get.

Seriously, JKD. I'd recommend wrestling or boxing (or both) as a core from which to develop your natural fighting mode. A good teacher will train you under pressure, tire you out and push your limits. As a quick answer, for "eastern" MA's wing chun (try not to get caught up in the wing tsun, ving tsun BS) has a good track record, jiu jitsu and judo are very "hands on" too. If you can find it russian KGB sambo ought to do the trick rather nicely (and , ah, brutally). Karate is okay but don't let it work against your natural fighting mode or you'll be fighting yourself as well. Karate just isn't for everybody so you really want to make sure whether you belong there or not. Ask a few street folk for some tips too. You might learn a thing or two. Don't restrict yourself and keep an open mind.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
From another post (http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57327/#12)

A partial list

Boxing, MMA, Bafaquan, Baguazhang, Bajiquan, Bak Mei, Black Tiger, Chaquan. Chow Gar, Choy Lay Fut, Dragon Kung Fu, Eagle Claw, Emeiquan, Fanziquan, Five Ancestors, Fujian White Crane, Gou Quan, Houquan, Huaquan, Hung Gar, Jow-Ga Kung Fue, Lau Gar, Leopard, Liuhe Bafa, Luohan Quan, Mei Hua Quant, Mian Quang, Nanquan, Northern Praying Mantis, Paochui, Piguaquan, Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan, Shaolin Quan, Shuai Jiao, Southern Praying Mantis, Taijiquan, Tantui, Tien Shan Pai, Tongbeiquan, Wing Chun. Wudangquan, Xingyiquan, Yingzhaoquan, Yiquan, Sanshou/Sanda, San soo, Muay Thai, Eskrima (Kali), Sikaran, Kombatan, Pananjakman, Pangamut, Sikaran, Kuntao, Silat, Sindo, Aikido, Battojutsu, Bojutsu, Bujinkan, Daito-ryu, aiki-jujutsu, Genbukan, Goshin Jujitsu, Hakko Ryu, Jinenkan, Jojutsu, Judo, Jujutsu, Kenpo. Kinomichi, Ninjutsu, Shoot boxing, Shooto, Shorinji kempo, Shotokan, Shukokai, Sumo, Goju-ryu, Isshin-ryu, Karate, Okinawan kobudo, Shorin-ryu, Uechi Ryū, Hapkido, Taekwondo ,Tang Soo Do, and Krav Maga

Now what you need to do is check out some and find out which ones best fit you, interest you most and have the best teachers.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on what the best martial art is for self defence. What do you all think is the best, in your own opinions? Thanks.

"I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on what food is the best. What do you all think is the tastiest, in your own opinions. Thanks."

Now, we could do a twenty page thread on all of our opinions, but would any of that really change your mind? Would me explaining why natto (fermented soy bean curd) is the best really going to impact your opinion of pizza? Especially if you can't get natto in your area?

Lamont

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I would stay away from arts that are oriented towards point sparring competitions that many karate and taekwondo schools are involved in. SO what if you can tap someone on the head and get a point? That is NOT self defense. ANYWAY, before I get off on a rant, I will say this:

The teacher's ability to teach and the student's willingness to learn and practice are what makes a good martial art/self defense art.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
In addition to the arts named above, you need an experienced instructor who trains students in a variety of s/d scenarios again and again and again.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I knew that (actually, jojutsu and jodo aren't quite the same, though in practice they essentially are these days). Since the question was about what "the best martial art is for self defence" I found your answer...surprising. It wasn't a typo, then, I gather--you consider this one of the best arts for self-defense?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ching Ching Pao and Mexican Judo

[Ju doan' know if I got a knife. Ju doan' know if I got a gun. Ju doan' know if my vatos are standing behind you. Ju doan' know what I'm gonna do :D]

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ching Ching Pao and Mexican Judo

[Ju doan' know if I got a knife. Ju doan' know if I got a gun. Ju doan' know if my vatos are standing behind you. Ju doan' know what I'm gonna do :D]

Thanks...I'd forgotten about ching ching pao.

Seriously, except travelling with guns or allies (or both), there is no superior style. There's superior instruction. There are superior students. There are superior training methods.

Compared to those three factors, choice of style is nigh irrelevant.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Though I have limited knowledge of Krav Maga. I have been very impressed with it in regards to SD. But I also see so much potential in Muay Thai for use in SD situations.

It kind of depends on how much time you have to devote, availability, the knowledge of the instructor, and a multitude of other factors that you have to take into account.

On a less serious note, I have been getting very aquainted with Taurus-fu and Glock-do, they are so easy I don't even have to sweat to perform their techniques. And when they don't work I can always fall back on Remington 870-jutsu.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I knew that (actually, jojutsu and jodo aren't quite the same, though in practice they essentially are these days). Since the question was about what "the best martial art is for self defence" I found your answer...surprising. It wasn't a typo, then, I gather--you consider this one of the best arts for self-defense?

I am not debating which art is the best art for self defense I am just pointing out that the question is in my opinion asking for a specific answer were one does not exist.

You say JKD I could say police military Sanda. One person says Wing Chun another says Karate and yet another says Judo and one says Sambo.

There are a myriad of Martial arts styles out there and it pretty much comes down to what the person training it feels about it. Frankly if I went to train JKD it would not work at all for me and I think JKD is very good at self defense. But I would not travel the distance to the school nor would I pay the exuberant sums of money to train it. I also think SPM is a very good fighting art but I do not have the time to train it and even if I did there are no SPM schools near me.

You need to figure out first what is available in your area and exactly how big your area is. Some may not want to travel far others may be willing to travel to another county. Some may be willing to take a long time to learn like you would need to for Taiji or Xingyi and others may want it quicker like you would get with Sanda, Krav Maga or MMA. You may be absolutely convinced that JKD is the ultimate martial art but when you go to the school you find you REALLY do not like the teacher so it is likely you won't go.

The point I am trying to make is that there are way to many variables (opinion and personal experience being some of those) that make it rather difficult to answer the question "what the best martial art is for self defense"

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I certainly concur that there is no "best" art--not for all circumstances, and especially not for all people and not regardless of the instructor's viewpoint and methods--and that's an important point to make. But I think some are more applicable to self-defense than others, and one can give some pointers in that regard.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I certainly concur that there is no "best" art--not for all circumstances, and especially not for all people and not regardless of the instructor's viewpoint and methods--and that's an important point to make. But I think some are more applicable to self-defense than others, and one can give some pointers in that regard.

I do not disagree but again it comes back to what the person asking the question has available to them in their area and what they are willing to do to train and how much time they want to spend at training.

I can tell then Police/Military Sanda is great for self defense, and it is, but finding a real teacher is rather difficult outside of China (and not all to easy in China for a westerner). They are in the US but very few and hard to find. And even if they found a teacher would they be willing to train it.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Whatever allows me to go home at night to my wife, whether it''s my Martial Arts training (all aspects of it) or my Personal Protection training either separate or alittle of both.

G

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that one particular martial art style is best for self defense. I think that it all depends on the martial artist. Everybody's skill level is different so it would be hard to say which style is best. All style offer something of value in some way so it would be extremely hard to pick one style. BUT if I had to pick one then I would have to say Sil Lum Kung Fu (mandrin for Shaolin).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The BEST will be whatever works bestfor YOU!!!!

onibaku

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
if you can mix muay thai and jiu jitsu then you're well balanced

Latest Discussions