World's Friendliest Countries

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Found this... for those wishing to travel abroad someday or within the next few months... :rolleyes:
Canada got number 1, Australia number 3 Britian #4 and the U.S. #6 probably not helped by this state's (unofficial) motto: "Welcome to Texas... now go home!" :lol:
World's Friendliest Countries

Those in search of a fresh start might head to these welcoming spots

By David Sutton

article: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-25363634
The country that once welcomed the tired, poor, huddled masses is now asking for a little reciprocation. And Canada, Germany and Australia are heeding the call.

They top a list of the countries most welcoming to expats. There, relocators have a relatively easy time befriending locals, joining a local community group and learning the local language.

In Depth: World's Friendliest Countries <-- slide show

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can appreciate Texas' point of view. When I was 12, my family moved to Colorado from central Illinois. It was a wonderful place to grow up, and I still consider Denver my 'hometown' in a way.

However, in the 1980's, as the cost of living in California was rising, many people came to Colorado to go skiing and hiking, fell in love with the place, and moved there.

That in itself was not bad, until they got a majority and turned Colorado into California. I didn't so much leave Colorado as flee it. I wish Colorado had had an active 'anti-Californian immigration' stance back then.

Canadians are really nice people, I've found. And Canada is beautiful.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've visited Canada any number of times, and seen lots of them down here for shows and hockey games... we're lucky to have them as neighbors. Imagine if we had Iran up there instead...

I went to school in Holland, and found them as friendly as can be.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
We could deal with them...A good part of "Slap Shot" was filmed in our barn.... Talk about true hospitality - if they want to start their jihad hockey stuff, we'd be happy to invite them to take up permanent residence in our (already polluted) lake!

Anyway, I'm just glad we've got Canada up there instead of the nuttiest nation on earth!

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wonder...Hot country=hot tempers, cool country=cool tempers? How hot is Australia (outside of the Outback that is)?
don't pay any attention to my ramblings, nobody else does :)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder...Hot country=hot tempers, cool country=cool tempers? How hot is Australia (outside of the Outback that is)?

Its bloody hot , thats why we drink so much beer .

There were some days in Sydney this summer when you walked out your front door it was like walking into a fan forced oven .

In other states it was worse , in South Australia there was one day where the temperature was 48.2 C / 118.8 F and in the weeks leading up to the Victorian bushfires they were getting successive temperatures of 44 C / 111.2 F

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

There is some truth cooler climates = cooler tempers. A friend of mine who worked as an aid worker in Kabul for a few years said insurgent activity and many other organized acts of crime/terror grind to a halt during the winter months. Once the weather gets warmer, they pick up again. (This is why some U.S. politicians and media personalities picked months such as November to visit Afghanistan)

Not a solid rule though. New Hampshire has some of the lowest crime in the country. Greater Detroit.....not so lucky.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hockey would really suck.

:D

We could have the Tehranian Mapleleafs, they'd suck even more! :D

Seriously though, there's NO WAY the UK is friendlier than say, somewhere like NZ. Just no way. Too over crowded, too impersonal. I was on the bus this morning, and the driver was sworn at (that old Anglo Saxon perennial favourite) and told that he was "gonna get clubbed" for asking the age of a young lad getting on. Niiiice. Not a cats chance the UK is "friendly". Individuals will be nice, but I see miserable people unwilling to hold the briefest of conversations all over, even when smiling at them first. So many people here seem to think you have an ulterior motive if you're happy and want to talk out of genuine humanity. Kinda depressing really.