TKD Spread & Development (Flame on)

OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Questions I am left with [/font]

I am going to assume when he says 12 he is talking "Korean" age of 12. The Gwangju Student movement started in 9/3/29 when he was 11 years old. This was also started with University students, not elementary students. How was it that he was not imprisoned, or killed for his act like 54,000 other Gwangju students were? Ironic that being so anti-Japanese that he would allow himself to be sent to Japan to be educated.

Perhaps it is as it related in his memoirs (page 44) that he was in a remote village and there was "Some Influence" of this movement which lead to a student strike (he indicates he was repeating the 5th grade at the time) he was apparently labeled as a leader and held for 3 days. So one can think of many reasons why this would not result in his death and those others who participated as well including but not limited to the remoteness of the village geographicaly as well as politicaly from the movement, elementary school age of the participants and a protest that was perhaps less severe than that which resulted in the death of older university students.

OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flaming something means I have been insulting or derogatory in my replies to the post. .

It was not directed to anyone in particular nor the tone of any particular responsive post since it was stated before any response was made.

Whether any response is a flame I will leave to the opinions of those reading the post.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, no biggie on that. You can see lots of people with TAEKWONDO or TAE KWON DO on the back of their doboks back in the day. Official ITF doboks were still some years off. Although by the mid 1960s (At least '65, if not before), Gen. Choi was writing Taekwon-Do in English it can take a while for information to go global, especially before the internet, and even longer before everyone signs on. The picture in question was with Jhoon Rhee so it was probably the late 60s or early 70s.
Pax,
Chris
The 1st English TKD writing for use abroad that I could find is 1959, when Gen Choi had it written as Taikwon Do

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
[/font]Because Gen. Choi had a ton of political clout in Korea at the time. I mean, a lot. And GM Lee was getting out of dodge because he was being accused of being a communist, IIRC. He and some of his students had already been the recipients of the ROK government's "hospitality" and going to Japan was probably the only way he could escape inprisonment (or worse). Perhaps he though Gen. Choi's politicla power could at least save the Chung Do Kwan from being dissolved by the government (or used for muscle).
Actually I think GM Lee Won Kuk's source of his problem with the Rhee presidential administration was that GM Lee was rumored to be a Japanese sympathizer & Rhee had a strict anti-Japan policy. This may have been fueled in part by the fact that GM Lee was apparently allowed or given permission to open his kwan in 1944, during the occupation period. He was to have had a good relationship with the occupation govt & he was after all studying in Japan. I believe he was arrested & beaten. This is another shame & example of how nasty Korean politics played a part in TKD's development

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually I think GM Lee Won Kuk's source of his problem with the Rhee presidential administration was that GM Lee was rumored to be a Japanese sympathizer & Rhee had a strict anti-Japan policy. This may have been fueled in part by the fact that GM Lee was apparently allowed or given permission to open his kwan in 1944, during the occupation period. He was to have had a good relationship with the occupation govt & he was after all studying in Japan. I believe he was arrested & beaten. This is another shame & example of how nasty Korean politics played a part in TKD's development

The source of GM Lee's problem with the Rhee administration was that GM Lee declined to accept the position of Minister of the Interior in exchange for registering all of the Chung Do Kwan members with President Rhee's political party. After that, GM Lee was arrested and tortured, along with GM Son and other Chung Do Kwan students.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMomUSA

The source of GM Lee's problem with the Rhee administration was that GM Lee declined to accept the position of Minister of the Interior in exchange for registering all of the Chung Do Kwan members with President Rhee's political party. After that, GM Lee was arrested and tortured, along with GM Son and other Chung Do Kwan students.
Yes that is EXACTLY what I am talking about in how the nasty Korean politics played a paet in TKD's development & hurt some of the TKD leaders.
Now stay with me here just 2 more lines:
What do you think the corrupt president was going to say, I had them beaten & arrested because they wouldn't join my party?
Of course not, they said he was a Japanese sympathizer, then fueled the rumors by pointing to his relationship with the Japanese Gov-Gen & that he was allowed to open his kwan during the occupation period!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes that is EXACTLY what I am talking about in how the nasty Korean politics played a paet in TKD's development & hurt some of the TKD leaders.
Now stay with me here just 2 more lines:
What do you think the corrupt president was going to say, I had them beaten & arrested because they wouldn't join my party?
Of course not, they said he was a Japanese sympathizer, then fueled the rumors by pointing to his relationship with the Japanese Gov-Gen & that he was allowed to open his kwan during the occupation period!

I don't think President Rhee said anything about it, at least not publicly. General Choi I believe said that stuff, not President Rhee.

And so now President Rhee is corrupt? I thought he was a puppet? What does that add to the conversation? Should I preface all my statements about General Choi as "that traitor and permanent trouble maker, Ex-General Choi?" Would that contribute to the discussion?

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think President Rhee said anything about it, at least not publicly. General Choi I believe said that stuff, not President Rhee.
And so now President Rhee is corrupt? I thought he was a puppet? What does that add to the conversation? Should I preface all my statements about General Choi as "that traitor and permanent trouble maker, Ex-General Choi?" Would that contribute to the discussion?
Well what about the papers? Wasn't it decided in the meeting in Dec of 1954 to gain the approval of the president & wasn't that approval granted by April 11, 1955?
There are examples around that concede this happened, are their not?

Again you are missing my point, the nasty Korean politics have always played a part in TKD, that is why it is important to any conversation about TKD's history. One simply can not more fully grasp these complexities without understanding the times & context that they developed in.