Woman karate black belt teaches Australian muggers a lesson

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
“The victim managed to punch one of the offenders three times in the face with a karate chop,” Superintendent Sean Parnell told national broadcaster ABC.
“And they then attempted to run away, and these baddies chased them, and she’s swung around and given them a kick to the side of the head and a couple more karate chops and they’ve run away.”

I have no idea how she accomplished this, but kudos to her.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no idea how she accomplished this, but kudos to her.

Shuto! Kind of a punch, kind of a chop, depending on how you use it. Maybe?
icon10.gif

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it was the same story that I heard over here recently then she does zendokai. Ive known a few people over the years who have done zendokai and it is a very bad idea for a mugger to go anywhere near someone who is profficient in that art.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Karate chop... mein gott are people STILL using that age old terminology? :lol: About as bad as Judo Chop.

Now I can understand the idea using a sword hand or axe or something like that but the terminology is ... well geez I remember using that when I was a kid.

Kudos to the woman for standing up and defending herself.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, apart from the absolutely deplorable reporting style, this is a fun story. One thing, though, the guys were hardly "muggers". Here's another version of the same story http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=920412

As you can see, what these guys did was try to get a cigarette, albeit in a rather tiny pitiful way, and for hitting her for not giving them one, they thoroughly deserved what they got, no question. Oh, and Ralph, as she's a German tourist, I'm doubting she was Zendokai. But I agree those guys can be tough. I've trained with a few, and my personal instructor was originally a Zendokai guy back in the day... and I have no intention of taking him on!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, apart from the absolutely deplorable reporting style, this is a fun story. One thing, though, the guys were hardly "muggers".

Things may be different in Australia, but in the USA, asking for a cigarette is pretext for a mugging. It's just a common distraction; so common that if a stranger asks you for a cigarette or a light (or the time) and he has a partner who keeps walking past you whilst he's asking, you're about to get jacked. Respond immediately or get choked out.

http://www.macon.com/198/story/871464.html

Do a google search - it's so common you can find a couple every day for the past year or so. If a stranger asks you for a cigarette, you're about to be mugged.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, apart from the absolutely deplorable reporting style, this is a fun story. One thing, though, the guys were hardly "muggers". Here's another version of the same story http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=920412

As you can see, what these guys did was try to get a cigarette, albeit in a rather tiny pitiful way, and for hitting her for not giving them one, they thoroughly deserved what they got, no question. Oh, and Ralph, as she's a German tourist, I'm doubting she was Zendokai. But I agree those guys can be tough. I've trained with a few, and my personal instructor was originally a Zendokai guy back in the day... and I have no intention of taking him on!
yeah , you're right. The zendokai one was in brisbane and the girl was a nurse not a tourist. Good to see some of these "muggers" getting a bit of their own back.

prokarateshop

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Another example of how martial arts is effective for everyone.. Kudos.. I wish there was a posted video..

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Things may be different in Australia, but in the USA, asking for a cigarette is pretext for a mugging. It's just a common distraction; so common that if a stranger asks you for a cigarette or a light (or the time) and he has a partner who keeps walking past you whilst he's asking, you're about to get jacked. Respond immediately or get choked out.

http://www.macon.com/198/story/871464.html

Do a google search - it's so common you can find a couple every day for the past year or so. If a stranger asks you for a cigarette, you're about to be mugged.

Hi Bill,

Yeah, I am familiar with those type of set-ups, but fortunately you're right, it just isn't as prevalent here in Australia. Usually a guy asking for a cigarette is just a guy asking for a cigarette... does pay to stay aware, though.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Congratulations to her! I support her spirit and her willingness to act when necessary.

I agree with Bill M. Never give a cigarette, light, or the time without first checking your surroundings, if at all. I do not do those things, as I do not smoke. (unless I am working hard :)) I would not, even if I did. I will give the time if I feel it is safe to do so and can easily see my watch.

I enjoy hearing of stories such as these. Perhaps there is hope for all of the potential, and REAL, "victims" in this world...

Thank you,
Milt G.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I must have been very very lucky, as giving out time of day, light, or smokes, has never gotten me mugged. Ever. Granted, I'm situationally aware, and I stringintly follow the 3 stupids rule. But wow. such a bleak view on life.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I must have been very very lucky, as giving out time of day, light, or smokes, has never gotten me mugged. Ever. Granted, I'm situationally aware, and I stringintly follow the 3 stupids rule. But wow. such a bleak view on life.
pardon my ignorance..."3 stupids rule"?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Asking for a cigarette here doesn't mean you are about to get mugged, it means that fags are so expensive here people can't afford to buy them always. Seriously at £4 ($6.56) for 20. Now that's daylight robbery!

Latest Discussions