On deleting or modifying material from Kenpo...

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
This subject came up on KenpoTalk, under another thread, then jumped to a thread under Mr. Seabrook. The topic was essentially..."What, if anything, would you delete from AK, and why?". Naturally, many say "delete nothing", while others say "delete selectively".

I opted for selective deletion, starting with the weapons techniques. In my own opinion, many of the underlying assumptions that drive the techniques are misinformed, causing the technique to reach a less-than-desirable destination in the end result. In one post, I recommended jettisoning all the Storm techs, and starting over. A couple of folks disagreed, asking for "WHY?". In response to "Why?", I wrote the following. I am posting it here to prompt discussion. I encourage you to disagree, but invite you to do so from a place of experimentation and speculation, rather than declared dogma. Yes, I am familiar with the core cirriculum of AK. Yes, I do think there are advantages to be found within the core cirriculum, and support passing it on intact to future generations so that each may find their own path of addition or deletion. And finally, Yes...I DO deviate from standard AK to include judo, boxing, and jujutsu in what I stress with students, when I happen to have them. Moreover, I have, in the last several years, become a big fan of Doc Chapel's SL4 kenpo, because it directly addresses what I have considered to be unreality-based fictions in kenpo. That ain't sayin' no one can make canonized AK work; it IS to say that I don't think the weapons defenses in AK will serve MOST of the people, MOST of the time.

So, here is my post from KenpoTalk. Flame away...

I’m the guy who said “dump the Storm techs.” There is a fishbowl that many kenpoists live in, and in the limited context of this fishbowl, the defenses against weapons in kenpo are technically sufficient. My beef is this: Do you want to trust your life, or the lives of your loved ones, to technically sufficient?

“Fishbowl reality” was a phrase I first heard in the late seventies and early eighties, as related to the martial arts. It’s the idea that, contained in your own shared universe, it’s easy to believe self-propagating fictions about possibility and probability when it comes to defense. That is, in the “Aikido fishbowl”, some bunch of aikidoka may have spent generations telling each other that some move X is a great escape from such and such an attack. Unchallenged by the rigors of combat, and generations removed from the founder (who, himself, was an accomplished combatant), they may have lost the context or experience that caused the founder to include that move in the system in the first place. For example, he may have only meant it to relate the nature of harmonious movement; but, without him around to personally guide the passing of information, it has become a “self-defense technique”, that anyone in the fishbowl will tell you “it works”. Enter a throwdown, or some similar event, or even an actual altercation. Someone NOT enculturated into the world of aikido expectations places a double wrist grab on the guy who’s been taught a “fool proof” counter for it; he attempts his escape, but it don’t work. Now what? Well, surely his wise masters could not be wrong…he must be doing it incorrectly. So he tries again. And again. And again. It still don’t work. Why not? Because someone forgot to tell his attacker that the escape is fool-proof. The attacker, coming from a different fishbowl, lacks preconceived notions about this particular escape, and just hangs on…dominating his poor victim through brute strength, while they try in vain to make their fishbowl wisdom work.

Long before Clyde started to get together with folks from other arts…before they had official names for it like “throwdown”, people from different systems used to get together to see how what they knew might work OUTSIDE their own fishbowl. I did a couple of these while still in high school, a junior black in kenpo, with a brown belt in judo and a black belt in “YMCA” jujutsu (I had no hobbies aside from MA, didn’t date, and avoided homework like the plague…put more hours per week into karate as a kid than most grown-ups do into work). First one I went to had some guys from Arnis, Sansoo, Thai kickboxing, other kenpo schools, Shotokan, Tae Kwon Do, kung-fu and JKD (I was the youngest person there; to make matters weirder, some of these guys were in the business of hurting people…literally; collectors for dealers, and the like). We spent a 10-hour day reviewing techniques we swore by. Some passed muster; some didn’t.

The Thai-boxer showed us kenpoists that our tippy-tap sparring didn’t prepare us for having a guy come at us with intelligent clock-cleaning intent; blew right through our guards, and kicked our legs out from underneath us. Us kenpo guys showed the Shotokan guy that he could not, in fact, move quickly from such a deep stance. The Arnis guy showed us all an ugly, ugly lesson. He used a felt marker for the timid, and marked us up as we attempted our techniques against knives. He used a rolled up newspaper for the timid as club. For the defenders who were a little more confident about their skills, or willing to step it up in intensity, he switched to a “wizzer stick” for the club. A lot of black ink and welts later, I realized, painfully, that I was not prepared to go toe-to-toe with a knife or club wielder. The thing that helped me most was the judo, and I still got more than my fair share of black ink marks and stick welts.

I went back to each of my 3 kenpo profs with these concerns (yes, I was committing a sin, and training at a couple of different schools). One said, “kenpo techniques are not meant to teach you specifics, but rather concepts that you can apply as the situation dictates”. I knew that; had it bopped into my head since my first lesson. I tried applying the principles. The only one that really worked was “distance”…the further away I stayed from the guy, the less I got “cut”. When I used the footwork from judo – typically used to set up for a throw with a couple of cheat steps – I did better at negotiating critical distance in striking/cutting range. Another prof said, “You must just be doing them wrong; practice them harder.” So I did…who knows, he might be right, eh? The third prof is the only one who actually said, “that’s a problem. The techs are supposed to give us the skills to survive the attack and neutralize the attacker. If they aren’t working, we need to look at the dynamics of the attacks, and formulate better skill sets for our students’ survival.” I learned more about kenpo in the following year by being the study-buddy of this guy while he formulated skill sets, then I had in many years prior. He “drafted” Phillipino and Chinese bladed fighting arts practitioners into our sessions, so he could formulate responses against their best attacks. Club, and knife (and sword…if you can avoid or intercept a sword, how much less problematic a baseball bat?).

Modifications looked like this: Who is theoretically better at not getting cut in a knife fight…a kenpoist with a half-dozen knife replies in his technique arsenal, who also divides his time among forms, sets, sparring, and the other techs of kenpo; or a Polynesian knife fighter who spends the vast majority of his time training to attack with – and defend against – knives and sticks. So, we isolated the “top twenty” blocks, checks, evasions, and destructions from Arnis/Escrima, and took a look at which of the Master Key Movements flowed best from each position one might find themselves in after each defense. After learning knife-fighting from a knife-fighter, club-fighting from a club fighter, and short-range pistolry from a psychotic Viet-Nam vet / Survivalist, you see all sorts of liabilities in the “official” kenpo Storm, Lance and Rod techniques.

Got together again, multiple times, at these mixers with practitioners from other arts (some regulars, some revolving members injecting new problems and perspectives). As I aged, and got a little thicker (I was a serious bean-pole in high school), I started participating in the greater intensity of the less well-balanced minds in our little group. Every art, it seems, teaches some sort of response for handgun threats. We would, at these get-togethers and in class (unofficial class in backyards and parks at night…studio liability would be way too high for this), practice disarms with loaded BB guns (head & face) and pellet guns (body, with bullet-proof vests…provided by the survivalists and bounty hunter). People fixin to shoot you are going to pop off a round as soon as they see you move. So, if they have a gun to your head, your action around getting your head off-line has to be faster than their reaction of squeezing the trigger. Your control and retention of the weapon has to be such that, if they continue to pull the trigger and wriggle the gun in an attempt to get you, they miss. Optimally, the rounds should be directed into the dirt, so by-standers don’t get shot. You also have to position for the contingency that he may decide to forget about fighting you for control of the weapon, and “change the subject” by just beating you silly with his unoccupied hand; bad guys can poke eyes and chop throats, too. Then what?

I’ve been in and out of mainstream kenpo society for more than 30 years, and it’s been interesting to see the splits in position taken by different members, and how background experience informs the positions of different seniors in this art. Almost to a ‘T”, kenpo oldsters who have actually seen action – either as vets, law enforcement, or “other” (yes, Dorothy, there is an old gangster element to the early days of kenpo) – radically modify their knife, gun and club techniques to accommodate for unpleasant possibilities. The folks who argue to keep the red book versions of the techniques, without any further specialization or exploration, haven’t had to use them. At least not often. You might get by and luck out with Evading the Storm one time against a drunk with a beer bottle at a party. But try being a bouncer at a punk concert where a gaggle of morons have decided that the best thing they can do as a group is to beat the crap out of you with beer bottles and the barbed chains they wore in as belts. At moments like that, you find yourself extremely grateful for having deviated from the standard curriculum.

But don’t take my word for it. See if Mr. Chap’el, a 40 year martial arts veteran and law enforcement dude, teaches the knife/club/gun techs the way they’re canonized; catch Mr. LaBounty – another LEO – off guard, and see if he trains with his own black belts using the techs the way they’re scripted for offering to the paying public. The list goes on. The guys who’ve been around for a long time either change them or dump them. The guys who have never pissed themselves trying not to get cut by a live blade in the hands of an angry opponent still swear by the efficacy of the unchanged content of the kenpo tech set.

But back to specifics for the Storm techniques…not enough is done to control the opponents’ ability to switch hands or step away from your response. Distance is required to use a club, and all the bad guy has to do is disengage, step back, and swing again. Other options include whacking you with the free hand; an option not fully accounted for in the height/width/depth zone cancellation schtuff in the club techs. But don’t take my word for it; get an uke who is unwilling to go along with your technique. Give him a length of Styrofoam swimming pool noodle, and tell him to go to town beating the crap out of you while you try to apply your kenpo defenses. He is NOT to stand there like a paralytic idiot and allow you to do what you will; he is expected to pull free frantically and whoop on you at will, as best he can. Watch what happens when you have a swinging nut on your hands, instead of a compliant training partner. Now get the Magic Marker and do the same with the knife techs. Next, save yourself the small facial scars from squeezing BB’s out of your face like a zit, and get an AirSof gun and some safety goggles. Try the gun techs.

Don’t just post mentalist replies about how I’m incorrect because the tech has a check inserted hither and ton; actually get the uncooperative partner, the props, and try this. It will open your eyes about the limitations and capacity of your skills faster than any Tuesday night sparring class. In 20 minutes of this, it will become painfully clear WHY so much emphasis is placed on control manipulation at the higher levels.

Regards,

Dave

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting information.

First off, I have not trained American Kenpo, nor have I trained the material in the manner that you are describing (tho you have definitely put some ideas into my head). However, I have had a long-standing uneasiness about much of the material in the Tracys kenpo that I learned, especially with regards to the weapons defenses.

On a purely intellectual level, I could see that many of these techniques would never work as they are taught, and would probably get you killed. I don't even need to train them in the manner that you describe in order to see that much, it is just that clear to me.

I've posted my own views on this before, but I really feel that there are some things that get worked into the various systems that were just simply bad ideas, and poorly thought out. I think it is important to examine the stuff, and identify these problem techniques. Either change them into something that is reliable, or get rid of them if that is not possible.

Good post, very logical. Thanks.

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok Dave let me go away and read what you posted, digest and mull and I'll get back to you.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you, Dave, for your post. I've always been a believer that techniques shouldn't be taken at "face value". There are some that I can see are "unworkable" just the way they are. There are others essentially not performed correctly or understood in a way to make them work.

My primary art is American Kenpo (Ed Parker's). To look outside my fishbowl, I cross train with Danzan Ryu Jujitsu. My Jujitsu instructor's instructor has a strong background in American Kenpo (doesn't study that any more), so the Jujitsu I am practicing is subtly flavored with Kenpo. The way they move is very different, however.

What I get are different interpretations of movements that allow new insight of why some things I had previously learned (that were unworkable); seeing the interpretations makes clear the the principles and concepts in such a way that makes sense to me. I learned how to do better locks, throws, and takedowns (from jujitsu) that enabled me to improve my Kenpo.

I went to a Jujitsu seminar last Saturday that had several high ranking Jujitsu people training us. There was a segment that worked with knife defense. This brought a new light to me to view my Kenpo knife techniques differently.

Dave, I know you were specifically asking about Storm techniques. I think your question could extend to Lance techniques. Should any techniques be deleted or modified?

My answer, based on my limited exposure, is if techniques are "left the way they are", they probably should be tossed because the defender could very well be left for dead. If these techniques can be changed with a better way of doing things safely, then I believe they should be modified.

With some techniques, a modification may be minor. Let's say there is a technique that requires the kenpoist to secure the arm in preparation for the next strike. If the arm is not secured properly (and I have seen many kenpoists merely "holding" the limb), then the chance of having that technique work is 50-50. The attacker can break away or counter, or even attack. Now with a better understanding of how joints work and making the locks line up, not just with the wrist, extend this to lock the elbow and even the shoulder (in other words, alignment that make breaking away harder), then the kenpoist can make the technique a stronger and better one by controlling rather than holding the limb. This is a simple basic example.

With other techniques, the modification may need to be major. Some moves in defense may very well endanger the defender, and these moves may need to be replaced with other moves that is safer with a stronger base.

I can see a difference when I ask my attacker to commit the attacks harder (and with markers for lance techs). The studio is the place to challenge and test if the techniques actually work. To do techniques without challenging them and finding out too late (out there) is not a risk I am willing to take.

I'm still thinking things over....and will return to this thread.

- Ceicei

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dave,

This is a great question and i am sure it will leave many of us scratching our heads.

Delete nothing, and continue to add variations. I love hearing other students', schools', instructors', masters', and style's way of doing techniques and forms. The one thing I would delete is the friction between beliefs. The more we seal up the holes (and missing concepts) the more effective "Our Kenpo" becomes. I could care less who created the technique or where it cames from. When we come across techniques we view as ineffective, we make them effective or at least learn from what does not work. That in itself is useful knowledge. To take that technique out of the system would not train the student to steer away form certain movements. I think we need to be open with the student and explain why it may not work. Or better yet, ask them to figure it out.

I like to take information from classes, seminars, tournaments, students outside the school and now, suggestions made by other MT members.

Thanks for making us take a moment to think.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very interesting thread Dave!

You won't get any flames from me, because I agree with everything that was said! What I find kinda ironic, is that when I started posting on these forums, MT and KN specifically, I said pretty much the exact same thing as you said, and what happened? I got flamed!! Without mentioning any names, as some of the people in question are not here to defend themselves, I've had people say that there just is not enough time to train in more than one art, that they're not planning on entering the dreaded cage anytime soon, there are no ninjas in the parking lot, and the list can go on and on and on.

Now, I'll be the first to say, that my intention was never to get anyone to abandon Kenpo for Kali, Arnis, Thai boxing, BJJ, Judo or Sambo. Instead, my thought was to have people take a look at the material and see what, if any, improvements could be made. But, I was met with, "Its already in there! No improvements need to be made and the only holes are the ones in your own training, due to you not having a solid understanding of the material!" Now, I don't dispute the fact that understanding the material is key, but my point was to stress that there are people out there who focus all of their attention to specifics. Someone who studies the FMA's is going to be much more versed in the stick and blade, just like someone who grapples is going to understand the ground much better. My idea was to take the ideas and concepts that these people use, and apply it to the Kenpo. Even if it was one small thing, if it made *my* technique better, why not do it?

My hats off to those that take the time and look outside the box, or the fishbowl in this case! Workout with someone from another art, someone who 'specializes' in something. See if the 'typical' defense can be countered and if so, what can be done to fix that problem. Go to a Throwdown and workout with these people.

One thing though that may leave someone with some questions is, what to do about those that don't feel the need to do this? If someone does not cross train or cross reference other arts, does this mean that what they're doing is going to fail them?

Mike

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MJS said:
One thing though that may leave someone with some questions is, what to do about those that don't feel the need to do this? If someone does not cross train or cross reference other arts, does this mean that what they're doing is going to fail them?

Mike

I think it really depends on the circumstances, and against whom you are facing. If you are having a knife fight against a skilled Fillipino stylist, you will lose, even if you have cross trained. If you fight a skilled grappler and you end up in a grapple, you will lose, even if you have cross trained. This kind of cross training with other stylists will expose weaknesses in your own art, and give you some tools to improve things within your own art. But unless you become a dedicated student in one of these other arts and train with a serious focus on this method, you will never match someone when fighting their game. But to do this may mean a reduction, or even abandonment of your kenpo training. The good things that kenpo gives you would be traded in for what you get from the other arts, and I don't think that is the point or the suggested solution.

But I think kenpo is reliable on its own, even tho certain things may not be as good as they could/should be. If you end up facing someone who isn't a highly skilled specialist, you should do well even if these elements end up in the situation. I don't think the system will fail you, if you have otherwise trained well and realistically.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Delete nothing, and continue to add variations.

The more we seal up the holes (and missing concepts) the more effective "Our Kenpo" becomes.

When we come across techniques we view as ineffective, we make them effective or at least learn from what does not work. That in itself is useful knowledge. To take that technique out of the system would not train the student to steer away form certain movements. I think we need to be open with the student and explain why it may not work. Or better yet, ask them to figure it out.

Wayne, I understand what you are saying here, and this is an idea that I have been grappling with for a while, as I have done some serious revisions in the Tracys curriculum that I learned.

What do you think about the notion that training techniques that you feel are fundamentally flawed is kind of wasted time, time that could be better spent training techniques that have solid ideas behind them? I guess I am thinking about the huge technique list in Tracys, so large that in my opinion, it is downright unmanageable. It seems that many techniques are poorly designed, others are repetitive, and while some of the poor ones may have a good idea buried within them, this good idea is taught elsewhere in some of the better techniques. It seems to me that under these circumstances, a lot of time can be spent playing with techniques that really aren't worth keeping. Time is at a premium, we all wish we could have more time to train. Given that, use your time as wisely as you can. Focus on the stuff that is worthwhile, and eliminate that which just wastes time.

I don't teach, so I am not faced with the consequences of how these ideas might affect a student, but someday I may. Part of me thinks it might be good to pass on the complete system, if for nothing else then just for historical purposes. I see what you are saying about letting the next generation make their own choices about what to keep. But I just can't get passed the idea that a lot of training time could be better spent.

Maybe the solution to that is to teach a modified system, and then later fill in the complete system for those who might be interested.

Another thought: I think sometimes we are reluctant to discard things simply because they were developed by those who came before us, people whom we believe were highly skilled and intelligent, and must know better than we do. But I think that is an erroneous notion. Just because something was developed by somebody skilled and intelligent doesn't mean it is perfect and must be kept. Not everything will work equally well for everyone, and maybe some of these things never worked in the first place, they were just an idea to play with and should have been discarded in the beginning. But then somebody codified it, and then we all became stuck with it. What I keep reminding myself is that this stuff was all developed by other PEOPLE, not GODS. Nothing about this stuff is perfect, and it is not divinely inspired. It can all be changed or eliminated, if need be.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I think it really depends on the circumstances, and against whom you are facing. If you are having a knife fight against a skilled Fillipino stylist, you will lose, even if you have cross trained. If you fight a skilled grappler and you end up in a grapple, you will lose, even if you have cross trained. This kind of cross training with other stylists will expose weaknesses in your own art, and give you some tools to improve things within your own art. But unless you become a dedicated student in one of these other arts and train with a serious focus on this method, you will never match someone when fighting their game.

Agreed!:) I train in Arnis and BJJ to supplement my training and because I happen to like those arts, but by no means, do I walk around thinking that because of that, I'm going to beat Rickson Gracie on the mat or disarm Leo Gaje. IMHO, I think it would be best to prepare for the worst than be under prepared and wish you had spent some extra time looking outside the fishbowl.

But to do this may mean a reduction, or even abandonment of your kenpo training. The good things that kenpo gives you would be traded in for what you get from the other arts, and I don't think that is the point or the suggested solution.

Agreed again. With a 40 hr/week job with hours that don't allow much time to train, I admit it is hard. But, I do the best I can. Difficult? Yes. Impossible? Nope. Kenpo was and always will be my base art. I don't see myself dropping my Kenpo training anytime soon.:)

But I think kenpo is reliable on its own, even tho certain things may not be as good as they could/should be. If you end up facing someone who isn't a highly skilled specialist, you should do well even if these elements end up in the situation. I don't think the system will fail you, if you have otherwise trained well and realistically.

Agreed! If I didn't think it was reliable, I probably would have stopped training in it a long time ago. As for training realistically, I couldn't agree more. Wow..lots of agreeing here! LOL! One thing that I personally like about looking at other arts, is that it gives another perspective on how things are done. I like to look at the entire 'menu' not just limit myself to one page.:ultracool

Mike

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MattJ said:
BTW, the two man techniques are pure fantasy IMHO, and would be the first thing to go if I had any say.

I don't know what is in the EPAK, but regarding the Mass Attack techniques in Tracys, I am in full agreement with you.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Crane,

I hear ya! and great thoughts! I think as a teacher one needs to also know what does not work and have reasoning to back it up. I use the "obsolete" techniques to to teach myself and the students why a set up movement s may not work together (but it is not to say that portions of the technique cannot be grafted into others).

One also likes to hold on to traditional techniques. In this case I liken it to a "gi". Many students/schools still wear them, but they are not practical.

When I train for my own personal self-protection and to teach others in a professions who need to do the same, I pick out the core material that I know will be practical and work in combat.

IMO it is entirely up to the individual and what their reasoning is for their training.

A thought....
A child learns that a fire will burn them two ways: By touching the fire or a parent explains that fire burns. Most children chose the first no matter what the parent tells them.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
A thought....
A child learns that a fire will burn them two ways: By touching the fire or a parent explains that fire burns. Most children chose the first no matter what the parent tells them.

All too true.

Maybe a solution, should I ever find myself with a student or two, would be to teach the modified curriculum, but as each technique is taught I could explain how it arrived in its current state. If it had been modified, I could teach the original version, and explain why I felt it needed to be changed. If elements were combined from two or more techniques, I could explain why that combination made sense to me, and why the originals alone did not. Later, after a student reaches a higher level of understanding, I could teach the complete original system if they are interested. I would really only expect them to maintain the modified system, but they would be welcome to play with the original and see what they can make out of it.

Just some thoughts. Like I said I don't have any students, but on occasion I have had people approach me and ask if I teach somewhere. A couple of staff members at the health club where I practice in the mornings before work, asked a while ago if I would get a class going at the club. I have been pursuing my own solo practice there for over 7 years, and have been a member of the club longer than most of the staff and trainers have been there. I'm like furniture, just that crazy guy who goes into the group exercise room when it's empty and swings around swords and staffs and stuff. Well, I guess a couple people took notice and wondered if I would teach. Problem is, I don't really have the time to make a committment to doing that so for now it's a no-go.

I've got a young guy who studies with my sifu. We like to mix it up and work the contact stuff, while most of the older people do Tai Chi for health. I like to work some of the kenpo techniques into the play, and he has been impressed with some of it so maybe he'll end up being something of an informal student.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Imho sometimes it is not the terchnique that needs to be thrown out butr the training. Have someone come at you live and real and see if you can get it to work ; see where the pure form of ther technique gets adjusted to reality; see where the concepts in the base techniques come out and work even if it does not look the same. The idea of set weapons defenses has its controversy in and of itself but working certain concepts into muscle memory from a form or base technique has value and can save your life when needed. I do not practice AK but SK has some similar difficulties. I have shown my students and have had my instructor demonstrate moves that initially i thought were 'new' until it was pointed out that yes this is directly from a form or technique X. i am very proud of one of my students who after training with me for a while (he came to us from another school and was very good technically but had difficulty 'using' his kempo) in a dragon circle never once used a full technique but from every attack thrown at him i say bits and peices of forms and beginnings , middles , and endings of techniques coming out as needed . The flow was excellent. But this is b/c he had the muscle memory from working all his material. Under high srtess you cannot be functional if you are thinking "ok, i will do technique y next then i'll do knife defense #2./.." it must flow in response to the live situationa and it must flow from your training and muscle memory. Throwing things away may not necessarily be the answer.

Respectfully,
Marlon

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine last night. He is a high school Eglish teacher. I posed a similar question to him. If an Eglish word is no longer regularly used or is too technical, do we delete it from the dictionary?

I am sure we all know his answer... :)

I know the martial arts, to many people, has nothing to do with the English language. But in kenpo we are taught out basics are the letters of an alphabet, our basic techniques are words, our expanded technique extensions are phrases or sentences. We are encouraged to create our ouwn phrases and sentences. Our material is our story. So I think the analogy holds some merit.

I do not use every technique, nor do i teach them all. To clarify my prior post... I am not saying we need to learn and keep everything, but we should not discount (or say we are not learning anything) something because it is impractical for today's martial arts society.

Great points brough up by all. Thanks.

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
I was talking to a friend of mine last night. He is a high school Eglish teacher. I posed a similar question to him. If an Eglish word is no longer regularly used or is too technical, do we delete it from the dictionary?

I am sure we all know his answer... :)

I know the martial arts, to many people, has nothing to do with the English language. But in kenpo we are taught out basics are the letters of an alphabet, our basic techniques are words, our expanded technique extensions are phrases or sentences. We are encouraged to create our ouwn phrases and sentences. Our material is our story. So I think the analogy holds some merit.

I do not use every technique, nor do i teach them all. To clarify my prior post... I am not saying we need to learn and keep everything, but we should not discount (or say we are not learning anything) something because it is impractical for today's martial arts society.

Great points brough up by all. Thanks.

Nay verily and forsooth tis hath a truer worde been spoken :)

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
MattJ said:
BTW, the two man techniques are pure fantasy IMHO, and would be the first thing to go if I had any say.

The two-man techniques, like other techniques, are ideas rather than rules. They are very important at teaching the Kenpoist how to escape common multiple attack situations, which are often neglected in other martial art styles. Moving from point of origin, zones of attack, and knowledge of anatomical weak points are very important when executing these techniques.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Seabrook. I agree that the (EPAK) techniques should not be regarded as literal truths. However, IMHO, even the "ideas" in those (2 man) techniques are really not good. Would you recommend staying between two (or more) opponents? Yikes! Not me. But that is what most of them do.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Latest Discussions