Martial Art Complacency

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Complacency
Defined as:
1.) A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an
unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy.
2.) An instance of contented self-satisfaction.
Synonyms:
contentment, satisfaction, sense of security, smugness, good feeling; ease, abundance, alleviation, amenity, assuagement, bed of roses, cheer, cheerfulness, complacency, contentment, convenience, coziness, creature comforts, enjoyment, exhilaration, facility, gratification, happiness, luxury, opulence, peacefulness, pleasure, plenty, poise, quiet, relaxation, relief, repose, rest, restfulness, satisfaction, snugness, succor, sufficiency, warmth, well-being
Complacency has a fine line or gray area if it is in too much abundance, thus it could be synonymous with:
conceit, egotism amour-propre, arrogance, complacence, consequence, immodesty, narcissism, outrecuidance, pomposity, pride, self-admiration, self-conceit, self-exaltation, self-importance, self-love, self-regard, smugness, snootiness, stuffiness, swagger, swelled head, vainglory, vainness, vanity
“Complacency is a state of mind that exists only in retrospective: It has to be shattered before being ascertained.” Vladimir Nabokov
Complacency has to be understood within human parameters. Using human experiences to form our aptitude, complacency is rooted within a psychological prejudice. The intellectual study to obtain and process information is decreased by a sense of ardent exposure and dedication beyond acceptance. Almost, to a point of denial. As suggested within the theory of Ying-Yang, complacency has to be balanced and implicit, in order to not favor in one direction or the other. Per its first definition; A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy. Complacency becomes a problem when one categorically dismisses any notion from a subconscious verse; “It won’t happen to me” or “I am ready for anything.”
A good example is from a scene in the Bruce Lee movie, Enter the Dragon;
Han: “We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for.”
Williams: "Don't waste my time with it. When it comes, I won't even notice."
Han: "Oh? How so?"
Williams: "I'll be too busy looking gooood."
And, most of us know what happens to Mr Williams.
Could it be that training in a martial art be also considered as a type of insurance, something we may have to use, and not for a if something should happen”, but “when something could happen”.
And like insurance, there is no guarantee that we are fully protected in the sense of self-preservation.
As a martial artist, we train and prepare, at least most do, for the actual “moment of truth”. In some real situations, some martial artists fair or do well. (I read and hear from many martial artists on how well they have done in a real situation, and rarely do I hear someone stating that they did poorly, or lower than expected.)
But, does this give us total assurance that upon each situation, we can rely on our skill sets, each, and every time?
What is your response or thought upon this thread?

Reactions: MJS

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You may want to look at this post by Jenna

I do not see that discussion between Han and Williams, from Enter the Dragon, as complacency on the part of Williams. I see it as confidence in his own ability and acceptance of his fallibilities and weaknesses.

Martial Arts does not make you invincible, it does not make you super human. A martial artist can be beaten because there will always be someone that is bigger, tougher, better, fast or just plain luckier than you on any given day. But you can’t waste your time worrying about it, you have to accept it and live with it and stop worrying about it. Because if you don’t, when it actually counts, you will loose since you will be preoccupied with it and worried about it and not focusing on the moment or the conflict that is in your face.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Martial arts refer to as an "Insurance Policy" ...this is a good way to look at our training...thank-you above for mention it that way..

Not all Insurance policies work the same too ....bigger payouts ...means a bigger returns ....Not always...gotta check the fine prints...

If one stops training....the insurance policy could find faults...

How's your Insurance policy coming along?

...ours almost expires....what is the best way to renew? ...OH NO! ....more push-ups?

Aloha, ....do you have life insurance? ---in ALL States?

PS: Term or Life? ....a form of Healt Care...

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't make me superman. But it gives me a possible edge over the other dude.
Realising this is harder than it sounds. Especially with alot of teachers promoting to teach the ultimate form of martial arts

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Complacency
Defined as:
1.) A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an
Synonyms:
contentment, satisfaction, sense of security, smugness, good feeling; ease, abundance, alleviation, amenity, assuagement, bed of roses, cheer, cheerfulness, complacency, contentment, convenience, coziness, creature comforts, enjoyment, exhilaration, facility, gratification, happiness, luxury, opulence, peacefulness, pleasure, plenty, poise, quiet, relaxation, relief, repose, rest, restfulness, satisfaction, snugness, succor, sufficiency, warmth, well-being
Complacency has a fine line or gray area if it is in too much abundance, thus it could be synonymous with:
conceit, egotism amour-propre, arrogance, complacence, consequence, immodesty, narcissism, outrecuidance, pomposity, pride, self-admiration, self-conceit, self-exaltation, self-importance, self-love, self-regard, smugness, snootiness, stuffiness, swagger, swelled head, vainglory, vainness, vanity
“Complacency is a state of mind that exists only in retrospective: It has to be shattered before being ascertained.” Vladimir Nabokov
Complacency has to be understood within human parameters. Using human experiences to form our aptitude, complacency is rooted within a psychological prejudice. The intellectual study to obtain and process information is decreased by a sense of ardent exposure and dedication beyond acceptance. Almost, to a point of denial. As suggested within the theory of Ying-Yang, complacency has to be balanced and implicit, in order to not favor in one direction or the other. Per its first definition; A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy. Complacency becomes a problem when one categorically dismisses any notion from a subconscious verse; “It won’t happen to me” or “I am ready for anything.”
Han: “We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for.”
Could it be that training in a martial art be also considered as a type of insurance, something we may have to use, and not for a if something should happen”, but “when something could happen”.
And like insurance, there is no guarantee that we are fully protected in the sense of self-preservation.
As a martial artist, we train and prepare, at least most do, for the actual “moment of truth”. In some real situations, some martial artists fair or do well. (I read and hear from many martial artists on how well they have done in a real situation, and rarely do I hear someone stating that they did poorly, or lower than expected.)
But, does this give us total assurance that upon each situation, we can rely on our skill sets, each, and every time?

Nice thread! :) I think that you've touched on some very good points. I think that many times, people think that the belt and the training give some mystical powers....they dont. Yes, we want to believe that if we spend 2-3 times in the dojo a week, some training on off days at home, really busting our tails, that we will win, and technically, yes, we should. Our training should give us an edge. Will it always? Well, I've seen some people crumble in the dojo, when a bit of pressure was applied, so if its happening in the dojo, that 'safe' environment, whats going to happen outside of that?

IMO, I think it's important to realize that there's always someone out there who's bigger and badder. I think this is interesting:

I think this can be looked at a few different ways. "When" something could happen....I take that as the person being totally relaxed, almost to the point of being unaware, and not doing anything until the threat is actually present.

"If" something happens...it could be the same as the 'when' but I take that as really being aware, being able to pick up on a potential bad situation, and acting on it before it escalates. This doesnt have to be physically acting, but simply verbally, talking your way out of something, removing yourself from something that may turn ugly, prior to it actually involving you.

Using your insurance example: Just because we have ins. doesnt mean that we should drive carelessly. Just because we have it, we should still take care to prevent something from happening. You approach that intersection, and just because you have the green light, doesnt mean that you should assume the people on the sides of you are going to stop. The person behind the wheel in the 'when' state of mind, is just going with the flow. When it happens, it happens. So the 'if' and 'when' apply to not only the car ins. but also to the arts.

OP
R

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Using your insurance example: Just because we have ins. doesnt mean that we should drive carelessly. Just because we have it, we should still take care to prevent something from happening. You approach that intersection, and just because you have the green light, doesnt mean that you should assume the people on the sides of you are going to stop. The person behind the wheel in the 'when' state of mind, is just going with the flow. When it happens, it happens. So the 'if' and 'when' apply to not only the car ins. but also to the arts.

*Bold* but wouldnt this be along the lines-area of complacency?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who dug this out?

In any case, all my martial arts training has taught me to date is how much I do not know, how much I have left to learn, and how little time I have left to do it. I keep training, and try as hard as I can. Complacency? Not even close. More like a fear of complete incompetence.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Complacency
Defined as:
Synonyms:

Here are two of the main reasons why I train:
1. I have a passion for kempo that fills me with a desire to seek perfection in it, and thereby hopefully, I may attain a measure of excellence
2.The answer to your second to last question has always been, no

Thanks
Marlon

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've always refered to this kind of thing as "dojo-itis" People train without thought and develope a false sense of security. Too many idiots out there with limited training would rather stay and fight when they should really run away.

SouthPaw

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Who dug this out?
".. all my martial arts training has taught me to date is how much I do not know, how much I have left to learn, and how little time I have left to do it. I keep training, and try as hard as I can." ...

That's beautiful, man.