Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I watch UFC fights I look at them and think I need to get my WC to the level where I can take these guys on and win convincingly. But it seems most wing chun guys end up like this

Damn. :eek:

Last edited:

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
wow...kid just stood there trying to impersonate Donnie yen or something... what the heck is up the his right arm being all straight out like that? WTH? Weird.

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
wow...kid just stood there trying to impersonate Donnie yen or something... what the heck is up the his right arm being all straight out like that? WTH? Weird.

People like that are representing us ( everyone who does Wing chun) as well :mad:

Edit: Atleast he had the balls to fight I guess.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
People like that are representing us ( everyone who does Wing chun) as well :mad:

He still gets respect for stepping up to the plate and putting his skills to the test.

It's more than what can be said about some other styles out there.

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He still gets respect for stepping up to the plate and putting his skills to the test.

It's more than what can be said about some other styles out there.

Yeap I agree. But then theres also the thought that before you enter a tournament like that you should atleast realise what level of competition you are fighting. The way it seemed was he had done typical Wing chun training and went in thinking he was just going to chun the chin out of them without ever doing proper sparring or any proper fight camp type of training.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I watch UFC fights I look at them and think I need to get my WC to the level where I can take these guys on and win convincingly. But it seems most wing chun guys end up like this

In that case you better cross train and build up a ground game, ...not just "anti-grappling". Some long range stuff wouldn't hurt either. And spar the other guys! ...a lot.

...When you get it together, post some clips and we'll be your biggest fans.

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In that case you better cross train and build up a ground game, ...not just "anti-grappling". Some long range stuff wouldn't hurt either. And spar the other guys! ...a lot.

...When you get it together, post some clips and we'll be your biggest fans.

In the process right now. Give me 3 years and I will be ready for Amateur fights. Id rather be overcooked then undercooked in this situation.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the process right now. Give me 3 years and I will be ready for Amateur fights. Id rather be overcooked then undercooked in this situation.

Good for you, remember also that it is learn by doing. Not learn then do.

Most, like maybe the kid in the video, sadly just throw themselves in their expecting beautiful victories and then think defeat is something terrible and unrecoverable. If people would be masters the first time they try something, they are either A. Naturals or B. Lucky. Most get their *** handed to them while learning to improve.

Of course this can and should be mitigated, something I believe, dont know for sure, many MMA gyms do well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Advice from a great fighter
In the words of Ali…

“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses – behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.”

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
:mad:
I figured it was doomed to failure the second I saw the title.
What I didn't see coming was all the in fighting amongst ourselves. I thought it would be all of us vs Hanzou and the rest of the BJJ/MMA crowd

WTF! And all this time I thought WC is for self defense.:mad: Never really understand why the WSL training video is titled "The science of in-fighting".;)

Latest Discussions