geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why is it that this guy can call me a troll, a liar, dishonest, and a coward and nothing happens? He can write inflammatory comments that are simply meant to incite and nothing happens? But when I tell him he is full of Sh1t and an a55hole I get a warning from the moderators????

Maybe because nobody is taking those comments seriously? Feel free to report any thread you feel crosses the line, but personally I'd rather get a grip and work out our problems amongst ourselves here on the WC forum. Don't want to further tarnish our reputation for excessive bickering, you know.

And, actually I sometimes find it instructive watching those people wig-out online. For one thing, I notice that the rest of us are treating each other with greater respect, perhaps to distance ourselves from that other kind of behavior?

BTW I believe I was being called dishonest too. I think he meant intellectually dishonest as in lying to and deceiving myself with my outlandish ideas about WC. Whatever. Anyway, what did you think of my "liar" videoclip?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't believe you just called me a liar....again! For what...the 4th time??

You said we're dismissing things out of hand. Evidenced by the last few pages of this thread with quotes from historians, videos, and pictures accompanied with explanations and ample reason for disagreeing with your theory... that is a blatant lie.

you can't simply dismiss them.

No one has "simply" dismissed them as you say, "out of hand". In fact, quite a bit of effort has been put into explaining why they are invalid.

You'll have to explain why they can't simply be dismissed with more than a few logical fallacies like Appeal to the Majority and Wishful Thinking.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You said we're dismissing things out of hand. ... that is a blatant lie.

LFJ: Somebody may disagree with you vehemently and may see things very differently than you do. They may look at the same subject matter and draw very different conclusions. They may be mistaken, but that is not a lie and you know it. So whose the liar now? Huh? huh? :p

So, what'ya say we tone down the rhetoric and get back to discussing WC? And for God's sake let's not get another thread locked because people can't be civil!

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
LFJ: Somebody may disagree with you vehemently and may see things very differently than you do. They may look at the same subject matter and draw very different conclusions. They may be mistaken, but that is not a lie and you know it. So whose the liar now? Huh? huh? :p

If everything is relative then truth has no meaning

I think that it is fair to say that KPM either has a warped perception of reality or is lying when he calls this enormous silly thread a simple dismissal of his ideas

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
His stuff iv learnt a bit of works quite well when I spar. First time I tried what I learnt at WSL i ran into a hook.. as well as every other time.. When I try Duncan Leungs stuff I dont get hit.. Wonder why !.

Good for you man! Awesome to hear!

One possible reason why IMO is because Duncan (whether he was taught something "secret" or "special" as YM's private disciple; or whether it is something he figured out on his own) advocates the idea of "covering". Cover is synonymous with attack. One hand covers (attacks) a space as you enter or whatever...while the other attacks the target.
I think its awesome you have trained in several lineages and are finding what works for you. Keep it up dude.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe because nobody is taking those comments seriously?

---Maybe so! But nobody likes being called a liar and a coward. Its just interesting to me what gets "moderated" and what doesn't! Someone can be inflammatory and insulting and incite someone else to call them an appropriate name that describes them well....and that is the person that gets censored rather than the one inciting the response! Yes, I need a thicker skin! I'm just used to interacting with more polite and respectful people I guess. Maybe I need to go back to my "Vulcan Wing Chun" approach from the old forum! :vulcan:

And, actually I sometimes find it instructive watching those people wig-out online. For one thing, I notice that the rest of us are treating each other with greater respect, perhaps to distance ourselves from that other kind of behavior?

---Maybe so! I guess every cloud has a silver lining! ;)

BTW I believe I was being called dishonest too. I think he meant intellectually dishonest as in lying to and deceiving myself with my outlandish ideas about WC. Whatever. Anyway, what did you think of my "liar" videoclip?

---Yeah, that was pretty good! :)

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
... and this thread started out so well. (sigh)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
... and this thread started out so well. (sigh)

I figured it was doomed to failure the second I saw the title.
What I didn't see coming was all the in fighting amongst ourselves. I thought it would be all of us vs Hanzou and the rest of the BJJ/MMA crowd

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I didn't see coming was all the in fighting amongst ourselves. I thought it would be all of us vs Hanzou and the rest of the BJJ/MMA crowd

Hanzou isn't just a forum member. Hanzou is a state of mind. One best avoided.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Props to the BJJ crowd for staying out of it?

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Props to the BJJ crowd for staying out of it?

I do bjj aswell. I personally dont think Wing chun has anything to counter the groundfighting skill of Bjj. When I started training it too, that was confirmed quite fast.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
If everything is relative then truth has no meaning

This should be common knowledge, or you actually believe the stuff you are reading in a newspaper? Ever heard of "history is written by the winners"? Truth does not exist, it is just when one person´s opinion has silenced enough of others. Sometimes with the aid of military actions.

I do bjj aswell. I personally dont think Wing chun has anything to counter the groundfighting skill of Bjj. When I started training it too, that was confirmed quite fast.

This I hope more people realize with time, some of those anti-grapple videos we see are just too wild and crazy for my flavor. All arts have those, especially from pre-YouTube time period.

Why would BJJ have to get involved, we can destroy a WC thread perfectly well ourselves. As others say, our stuff works best when fighting one of our own kind.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Back on topic then...

No. Time for random comments! Am I the only one who noticed that when he was talking about the "octagon" he showed a picture of a hexagon (see 2:23 in the following clip):

Another thought: If everything is relative (as discussed above) then all sexual acts are incest. :eek:

Finally this: "Anti-grappling" is to grappling what a quick course in self-defense is to competence in the martial arts. If you are serious about learning to handle yourself in a physical confrontation, you will need to spend a lot of time learning a solid martial art. So if you want to deal with serious grapplers, learn some serious grappling!

...or if you live in the States, buy a gun. ...'cause we all know that solves everything! ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thought: If everything is relative (as discussed above) then all sexual acts are incest.

Incest is relatively interesting though necrophilia is dead boring............... just saying :p

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Back on topic then...

That video has some decent points. But still dont agree. If you are good you should be able to manifest some of your skill in an mma fight in a ring. Wing chun cant be the only art that uses power from the ground. Boxers dont seem to have a problem throwing power punches. I disagree with the " everybody is using wing chun punches", Not really, maybe a few people do like Conor Mcgregor and Demetrious Johnson and that time when Vitor ko'd Wanderlei as shown in the video.

Most of the rules are there to protect people from unnecessary damage. Its the most closely simulated way of fighting without been completely barbaric imo,but there are some rules which obviously do protect the more wresting/bjj based fighters. Though training to fight a Skilled martial artist vs just a joe normal throwing an adrenaline fueled punch is quite different. But I reckon if you can handle a skilled fighter with your wing chun you can handle most joe normals...

When I watch UFC fights I look at them and think I need to get my WC to the level where I can take these guys on and win convincingly. But it seems most wing chun guys end up like this