Wing Chun/Tsun + Brazillian Jiujitsu =

Status
Not open for further replies.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
for the record, i did critique anti-grappling without use of cliches, & hopefully i didn't attack you or your husband's character. the "grappler" in those videos just didn't look like a good grappler. if he is a judo/jujitsuka, he is either dumbing down his technique or he simply isn't very good.

at any rate, happy new years, all the best,

jf

I'm not yelling at you, darlin'. lol! just yelling at that mean guy that called me a "troll".
But, a couple of folks here have tried to imply that what I say my huband did he didn't actually do.
I know I'm a girl, and I married the 'sifu' and of course I'm biased.
But, he's a different kind of teacher than what has been the norm. I thought he was awesome before ever there was a thought of dating! lol! that was NEVER my origional thought. That's all him. lol! Anyways...
ask hubbie why he likes Si-Je (man, I'm getting to hate that title. It doesn't seem to fit me. never did, just call me Nikki)
Either way, even if we weren't together, he's the best martial artist I've ever seen in my life, in person.
And I've seen quite a few.
One thing my mom once said. " you don't have to travel the world. If you wait enough, the world will come to you!" lol!
I love that. such a Texan thing to say.
But, she's a homebody, not me so much, I've traveled a bit more than her, but it doesn't matter.
If you wait enough, the world will come to you. That's the Tao, dude. ;p
But, if you don't want to believe me about hubbie, I can understand. Wait for the video! lol!
then, don't give me anymore excuses!
It is what it is. and he is what he is. an awesome marine, fighter, martial arist, and teacher. ya'll should really meet him.
You'd love him, and I'd hate that my mouth might make you guys not like him before you know. I'm uppity because he's sooo cool.
I don't know many people who know all of the wing chun system. from two masters.
So what Emin didn't know all WT when hubbie trained from him, he gained a different understanding from NOT knowing.
And Sifu Jim Fung system taught him all the forms, weapons forms, and mook jong, and CHI. Good combo with the anti-grappling and extra "aggression" of the "blitz" defense of Sifu Emin. Good stuff I tell you! lol!
If you don't believe me, then fine. I don't want to fight. But, attack me, not hubbie.
I'm the **** talker, not him. lol!
he's the real thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i didn't figure you were upset with me, but it's good to clarify. i HATE that you don't respect bjj, but i do enjoy discussing it with you :)

as the late great hunter s. thompson said "all things flow according to the whim of the Great Magnet." how's that for tao?

jf

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why are you here? Do you have something productive to say? Is this why you went on the women's side and called my video a fake to prove a point?
What IS your point?

I speak my mind, and I'm truthful on here. If that's not appreciated then fine, I don't need to hear crap from you. BJJ man.
I'm trying to really find out why people believe this BJJ crap. Did you see the video of the BJJ guy getting his back broken? no? You didn't bother to look at it or comment.
So, I apologize for possibly offending people while speaking my mind and getting to excited about the discussion and all you have to say is that I'm a troll.
Nice.
This is why I "forget" to be polite or diplomatic. What is the point with being nice with people like you? But, I didn't post that for YOU.
seriously!
I've given many explainations of technique often here, no one can comment on the WT anti-grappling WC defense and theory against grappling without falling back on old addages and cliches and attacking my person and my husband. I find this pitafull.
You don't agree with me, then don't bother with me. you won't change my mind, I won't change yours.
You want to call that video a fake on the women's site, then prove it. I don't care.
I posted that for the women's input, not yours. I'm so tired of men putting their two cents in when it's not asked for! I wanted to know what WOMEN'S thoughts were on this situation, fake or not. Just the idea of a tiny little child defending herself in that fashion. Do they think it's wrong? Over excessive? Impractical? What? At least in theory. But, now that you've posted that it is "probably a fake" then none of them will feel comfortable to respond or give an opinion.
Who's the troll now?
Who's shanghiing who?
Your messing up my experiment, and I don't apprectiate it. I don't want to "fight" with the women like I do the men, the men pick on me 'cause I'm a girl. I'm used to it, and I'll give it back. The women are different. I want to understand what they think and want. Not you. Didn't ask YOU.
I want to know what women think, not men. I KNOW what men think. yawn!
A troll. lol!
If that's what I am then you owe me a toll to pass my bridge! lol!
man, nevermind, it's new years, and I can't let a dude like you ruin my night.
Peace out, troll toll payer!
I just read the new messages and seldom pay attention to where they are.

I saw the video you posted and believe it was revealed to be a fake. I'm pretty sure it's the same video. I admitted to not being positive. I plan to give it a look and see if I can find where I saw it. Sorry. Didn't mean to stomp around where not wanted.

As for your being a troll, intentionally yanking peoples' chains in order to cause strife and mischief is the very definition of trolling. That's exactly what you were admitting to. I just thought it was brazen of you to actually come out and say it like you did. You say you're truthful, but came out and said that this was all a big experiment for you.

As for why I'm here, it's to talk about things. Like most of the people here, I would guess. I'm not trying to give you crap. In fact, quite the opposite. I try to avoid commenting on any of your posts at all, largely because you're beyond reasonable discussion. You take everything personally and you always end up blowing up at someone and eventually apologizing for and backtracking on most of what you said.

I do apologize for responding to a post in the women's area. I seriously didn't pay attention to where that was. It shows up in the new messages list just like everyone else's.

As for the rest, I don't regret it at all.

Yoshiyahu: A troll is someone who intentionally causes strife. The term is from the fishing term, basically casting nets to see what fish are caught. Trolling is the online version where people post things that they know are inflammatory in order to cause conflict. I hadn't seen anyone so up front about trolling in a long time. Among other things, saying mean things to put people on the defensive is trolling. Inciting arguments is trolling. Si-je openly admitted to both and more in the post I quoted. I was genuinely surprised and posted so.

I really wish this thread would get back to reasonable discussions about wing chun and BJJ/grappling. Had Si-je not turned it into yet another BJJ hatefest, I'd be happily lurking in the thread instead of posting in it.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
While it is not my matter in the slightest I feel I must comment.
I feel your comment, stevebjj, kind of took things out of their intended meaning and turned them to look a bit more sinister than it in fact is, if you consider what Si-je is doing, to the extent that she is trolling, than it seems she would not be the only guilty party, you write quite seamlessly, it would be difficult to catch such intentions, especially if one were to defend ones-self in a self-righteous shocked and/or upset manner. whether or not you truly mean harm or are just responding not entirely aware of what it is which you cast out, perhaps it would be an interesting exercise to detach yourself mentally and emotionally away from the thread and re-read some of your posts and not defend anything.. just read and see whether or not you can see anything you would consider snide and or unneccessary, merely as an exercise! even to do it when you think I'm a complete idiot would show a mastery of ones self, which I feel certain can correlate to martial arts of any type, respectfully Naba,
Happy new years folks!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What? I told you he sparred with the 10 year BJJ teacher of BJJ and JKD often. He's fought BJJ elsewhere and for real, but that is taboo. He's used it against kids in the USMC, and has fought and sparred with BJJ many many times. That was an example of a time I saw myself.

Taboo? Oh ok....so you give a little tease but nothing more?? Feel free to PM me. I'd love to hear about this.

And no, we are NOT travelling out of state for him to fight. Again, can NOT afford to travel like that. We are getting him registered to fight in TEXAS with TAMMA one of the largest MMA organizations in the nation. Is this not satisfactory? Do you require we travel to Cali?

Honestly...I really don't care where he fights. What I would like to see though, is some video. You have us all excited about these fights, hopefully they'll actually happen. And hopefully, he'll be fighting someone good.

And, again, I haven't claimed WC is "ultimate" you guys keep typing that one in FOR ME. lol! I explain why I believe it is effecient and more practical to BJJ, and yes, in some real self defense scenarios, is superior, but the WORD ultimate wasn't from my actual post, unless quoting or referring to one of you stating your assumption from my statements.
I'm strong on WC/WT, big deal. Others are just as bad or confident with BJJ. So what?
Opinions and preferences, and I am intitled to have mine too.

OMG, do I really need to explain this to you again? Are you reading your comments? Do you see how they sound? Tell me how this sounds....hubby is a great WC fighter. Hubby, has sparred and won against a 10yr BJJ guy. Hubby has never been taken down. WC is all you really need. The list goes on and on, but you're saying, without actually saying, that WC is the best art out there, its complete, its all you need. If you don't understand how that sounds, I don't know what else to tell you.

I also never said that you had to quit WC and take up BJJ. I simply said for you to look at the GRAPPLING arts, to add to the WC foundation. I dont care if its Judo, BJJ, Sambo or wrestling....they're all grappling arts and they all have something to offer.

I still see no smart comments on the BJJ practitioner that got his back snapped right in half. Just smart talk about how I don't understand it and that's why I don't want to use it. I don't want to use it because I don't want my back broken, or my body slammed on the hard concrete, or to muscle up a large man by the knees and throw him to the ground as he drags me with him. These things coming to mind do NOT tempt me to join the ranks of BJJ. ;)

During all the time that I've been rolling, I've never had my back snapped, nor have I seen anyone else with those injuries. Of course, I have to wonder if the reason why you dont like BJJ, is because deep down you know its a good art, that the chances of you ending up on the ground and losing to a BJJ guy is possible, but you're too proud to admit it. WC, just like ALL arts, has its weak points.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cut and dry guys, the stand up arts, of kicking punching and strikes, allows that person to better defend against multiple opponents. Takes downs put you at a disadvantage with more then one aggressor, with all that rolling around on the ground. If you are fighting more then one person you had better stay up and moving. I am talking street not cage. If three guys confront you, and you are a stand up fighter I would venture to say you could have at least 2 on the ground in a bad way, real fast. If I am a grappler facing 3 guys, I can only concentrate on one at a time. Just my thoughts. And also by the way I have used the groin kick in the street very successfully. It is the pelvic bone you are striking, with that front kick. Very painful.
The traditional arts cover ground techniques, but it is more on how to deal with them rather then roll with them. A self defense art is something that can be used anywhere, I would hope. What about the LEO we have on board. I know you have all the toys at your disposal, but if it comes down to it, do you want to roll around on the ground with them, along with your firearm? I have been to a lot of DT classes, and a lot are different, do some instructors teach grappling within that context?

I've never advocated rolling on the ground in a real fight, esp. with the chances of more than 1 person. I do advocate the study of how a grappler works, so that the stand up techs. can better adapt.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Come on man...Its her husband...Come on If she doesn't think her Hubbie can beat every man on earth that what type of wife should she be....She is a woman who devoted to her husband...she is suppose to believe he is undefeated....

come on man get real...now your throwing low blows....

Doesn't your wife think your the best in the world too?

LOL, dude are you serious here?? See, the difference is, I don't walk around thinking I'm a badass. I understand that I have weak areas, I understand that every art has a weak spot, I understand that theres always someone bigger and better. I strive to improve those areas.

But, you will not hear me say that I will never be taken down, that I've kicked the *** of everyone I've sparred with. Those are things that others say, not me.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not yelling at you, darlin'. lol! just yelling at that mean guy that called me a "troll".
But, a couple of folks here have tried to imply that what I say my huband did he didn't actually do.
I know I'm a girl, and I married the 'sifu' and of course I'm biased.
But, he's a different kind of teacher than what has been the norm. I thought he was awesome before ever there was a thought of dating! lol! that was NEVER my origional thought. That's all him. lol! Anyways...
ask hubbie why he likes Si-Je (man, I'm getting to hate that title. It doesn't seem to fit me. never did, just call me Nikki)
Either way, even if we weren't together, he's the best martial artist I've ever seen in my life, in person.
And I've seen quite a few.
One thing my mom once said. " you don't have to travel the world. If you wait enough, the world will come to you!" lol!
I love that. such a Texan thing to say.
But, she's a homebody, not me so much, I've traveled a bit more than her, but it doesn't matter.
If you wait enough, the world will come to you. That's the Tao, dude. ;p
But, if you don't want to believe me about hubbie, I can understand. Wait for the video! lol!
then, don't give me anymore excuses!
It is what it is. and he is what he is. an awesome marine, fighter, martial arist, and teacher. ya'll should really meet him.
You'd love him, and I'd hate that my mouth might make you guys not like him before you know. I'm uppity because he's sooo cool.
I don't know many people who know all of the wing chun system. from two masters.
So what Emin didn't know all WT when hubbie trained from him, he gained a different understanding from NOT knowing.
And Sifu Jim Fung system taught him all the forms, weapons forms, and mook jong, and CHI. Good combo with the anti-grappling and extra "aggression" of the "blitz" defense of Sifu Emin. Good stuff I tell you! lol!
If you don't believe me, then fine. I don't want to fight. But, attack me, not hubbie.
I'm the sh*1 talker, not him. lol!
he's the real thing.

Biased?? Thats an understatement! LOL! LOL! See, all I'm simply trying to do is get you to see what else is out there. Its clear that you dont want to, but like I said, its not good to be so blinded. Open your eyes for a moment, and look at how other arts deal with things. Like I said, NO art has all the answers. Not TKD, Ninjutsu, Kenpo, and not WC.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why are you here? Do you have something productive to say? Is this why you went on the women's side and called my video a fake to prove a point?
What IS your point?

I speak my mind, and I'm truthful on here. If that's not appreciated then fine, I don't need to hear crap from you. BJJ man.
I'm trying to really find out why people believe this BJJ crap. Did you see the video of the BJJ guy getting his back broken? no? You didn't bother to look at it or comment.
So, I apologize for possibly offending people while speaking my mind and getting to excited about the discussion and all you have to say is that I'm a troll.
Nice.
This is why I "forget" to be polite or diplomatic. What is the point with being nice with people like you? But, I didn't post that for YOU.
seriously!
I've given many explainations of technique often here, no one can comment on the WT anti-grappling WC defense and theory against grappling without falling back on old addages and cliches and attacking my person and my husband. I find this pitafull.
You don't agree with me, then don't bother with me. you won't change my mind, I won't change yours.
You want to call that video a fake on the women's site, then prove it. I don't care.
I posted that for the women's input, not yours. I'm so tired of men putting their two cents in when it's not asked for! I wanted to know what WOMEN'S thoughts were on this situation, fake or not. Just the idea of a tiny little child defending herself in that fashion. Do they think it's wrong? Over excessive? Impractical? What? At least in theory. But, now that you've posted that it is "probably a fake" then none of them will feel comfortable to respond or give an opinion.
Who's the troll now?
Who's shanghiing who?
Your messing up my experiment, and I don't apprectiate it. I don't want to "fight" with the women like I do the men, the men pick on me 'cause I'm a girl. I'm used to it, and I'll give it back. The women are different. I want to understand what they think and want. Not you. Didn't ask YOU.
I want to know what women think, not men. I KNOW what men think. yawn!
A troll. lol!
If that's what I am then you owe me a toll to pass my bridge! lol!
man, nevermind, it's new years, and I can't let a dude like you ruin my night.
Peace out, troll toll payer!

Oh and sije...I think it may be a good idea for you to refresh yourself on the forums rules. Trolling is a big no-no here. Messing up your experiment?? Hmmmmm

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never advocated rolling on the ground in a real fight, esp. with the chances of more than 1 person. I do advocate the study of how a grappler works, so that the stand up techs. can better adapt.

My post is only a reflection of my feeling toward SD. Everyone will base these reflections on their past training, and what in the past, has worked for them. As I post, I only look at things, as I would react, and in no way try to demean anyone else. It only takes one good executed technique, what ever it is, to stop an attack. Sometimes while typing, and reading these posts, we all have a tendency to focus the content of that post upon ourselves, and the way we train. As long as we keep it civil, and within the site rules, I feel it is an excellent platform to learn, and grow from. Anyone that teaches any martial arts should first have confidence in their art, and it’s ability to defeat someone in battle. This is what teaching is all about. But, as we teach we should make it clear that we should not underestimate anyone. Everyone has the potential to hurt anyone regardless of their rank, belt, or mastery, in any art.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS you seem to be very agitated, this is why I apologized for coming off so strong and hard. But, sense my apology is not being accepted I will just have to continue and try to be more diplomatic. Although with this very topic that is very hard for me and I'll tell you why.
This is a topic started to promote the idea that Wing Chun needs BJJ and that it would help a Wing Chun practitioner.
I find this horribly false, and that it infringes on my art. To say that a Wing Chun practitioner needs another art to make it well balanced to me is insulting to my art. Especially BJJ of all styles.
I don't like BJJ because it is not a good art. This is my opinion. That it is not a good art for one that trains MA with the goal of realistic self defense mainly Wing Chun.
I feel that BJJ would lessen and diminish the art of Wing Chun, keeping people from continuing to further their understanding and training in the advanced concepts and techniques of Wing Chun. I.e. - instead of learning to kick and hit an opponent from a "grappling" distance, people would resort to BJJ. Thus, losing that range of WT/WC possibly forever. This does anger me, and I don't want people to waterdown their WC/WT to suit students that just don't want to fully train the art.

As for my husband and his experiences. I've shared some of them here to help support and give examples to what I've been saying. And yes, he's the best Wing Chun practitioner I've ever met, my teacher, my friend, and my husband. If you have a problem with that, then that has nothing to do with me. That's all you.

He is training for cage fights, this takes time and we're not going to rush his training to prove anything to you. This costs money that we have to plan, save, and be careful when we spend it, and we're not going to put our family through finiancial hardship just to speed things up for you or anyone.
When his conditioning is up, when his training is done, when we have the money to register him, and when we get a fight scheduled (a real one, from a real promoter that isn't going to jerk us around) then you shall have your beloved video.

Again, I'm not in a rush because I know it won't matter to the nay sayers. You'll all have the excuses you need, ex. he didn't fight anyone any GOOD, the guy he happened to get on a fight card with wasn't actually a Gracie BJJ guy, hubbie's too big and strong for the guy in the cage against, whatever. I'm sure they'll be more I can't even think of. But, you'll have you video.

I'm sorry if I thought we had that last fight, but it's out of my control if the promoter is a scumbag. The only thing we can do is move on and find someone else. I don't know alot about this industry and have had a bit of a hard time finding out the information I needed for our area, hey, I'm new to this.

But, we're NOT new to WT/WC and we're NOT new to defending against BJJ.
So, again, I find that I may have come off strong again, but am finding that maybe I'm just strong in my conviction of the value of my art. So be it.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh and sije...I think it may be a good idea for you to refresh yourself on the forums rules. Trolling is a big no-no here. Messing up your experiment?? Hmmmmm

Trolling is not my intention. Speaking honestly and being forthright about my true thoughs on these threads is. If people cannot handle being disagreed with is that 'trolling'?
Sometimes you cannot be as diplomatic as you'd like when discussing topics such as this. That doesn't mean I'm wanting to be hurtful and rude to people. But, many comments made directed exactly at me and my husband have not been made with diplomacy either. So, basically, your saying that others can trash my ideas, statements, misquote me, and make fun of my art, husband and self and I'm not allowed to make a comment or stand up for myself and my art?
I see.
It's okay for others to make fun of Wing Chun, and talk down about it and it's teachers, it's practicality and such but it's not okay for me to disagree or dispute?
I do think alot of people need somone to stop being so meek and tiptoing around these issues and be real to change their thinking or give them another way to percieve things.
It is not my intention to "troll". In my opinion I see other "trolls" than myself, but have chosen to let it slide.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Whether the Wing Chun practitioner cross trains in BJJ, or the WC practitioner adapts his/her training to address the threat that BJJ poses, BJJ has made the art and the artist better.

I'm not sure why, si-je, you have such a chip on your shoulder for BJJ or for those who train and enjoy it. You do, though, so there it is. Getting away from whether or not BJJ is effective, or whether or not anti-grappling works, can you at least admit that BJJ has changed WC? The very fact that anti-grappling has been developed specifically to address the threat that lutadors and other grapplers pose is a testament to the effectiveness of BJJ and other styles of grappling.

So, addressing the original post, grappling and the threat of being taken to the ground must be tackled by the practitioner (haha... tackled... get it?). If we can agree on that, then it's a matter of discussing what's the best approach. Anti-grappling or actually studying a grappling art.

I personally believe that the best way to counter a technique is to learn the technique. Anti-grappling, IMO, is a misnomer. It's just grappling. To counter grappling, one must learn to grapple.

As for what works and what doesn't, my opinion is that it depends upon how one trains. If you train BJJ in a vacuum, never spar or pressure test the techniques, and never move past drills, BJJ would be functionally inneffective. It's not the art. The techniques are sound in BJJ, but only if they're trained effectively. My opinion is that other arts are the same. If you train WC in a vacuum, never pressure test the "anti-grappling" against proficient, competent grapplers, than the techniques have little chance of success. Conversely, if the techniques are pressure tested and trained well, chances of success go up.

In conclusion, I personally feel that your clear bias for WC over other arts and clear bias against BJJ as inferior to all other arts muddies the waters. Whether or not you admit it, BJJ has changed WC. As I said before, the very fact that "anti-grappling" exists demonstrates the truth of this.

Edit to add: I have never, and never intend to, mock or make fun of anyone's martial art. I have nothing against WC/WT or any other style as a whole. I get very, very tired of interesting threads devolving into an anti-bjj/mma bickerfest. And trolling isn't disagreeing. There is a big difference.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't like BJJ because it is not a good art. This is my opinion. That it is not a good art for one that trains MA with the goal of realistic self defense mainly Wing Chun.
I feel that BJJ would lessen and diminish the art of Wing Chun, keeping people from continuing to further their understanding and training in the advanced concepts and techniques of Wing Chun. I.e. - instead of learning to kick and hit an opponent from a "grappling" distance, people would resort to BJJ. Thus, losing that range of WT/WC possibly forever.

What arrogance SteveBJJ. To state that BJJ is the only wrestling art in existance and that it is because of BJJ that anti-grappling was created. There are far better wresting styles out there than BJJ, that have been tested longer in combat, and over much longer periods of time. Wrestling has been around since the beginning of time, are you going to give BJJ credit for the MA styles of thousands of years ago?
This is why I don't like BJJ and some of it's practicioners. The arrogance and misguided view of the very history of martial arts is astounding! lol!
I saw an interview of a Gracie teacher on t.v. a couple of years ago bragging to the camera and his student's that BJJ was the first martial art invented on Earth, that all martial arts stems from it. I was FLOOORED!
And people believed this without question.
I'm just asking you to question, to think outside of the box. You BJJ guys spout the same jargon and speak word for word verbatum the same arguments like your pod people and your minds are not your own. No matter who I talk to or hear talking about BJJ ya'll say the very same statements like you memorized them in class or something. ???? I just don't get that mentality.
Someone wants to talk to you. ;)

Mystic Wolf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have studied other arts and none come to compare to WC/WT, but then again to each there own. One thing I have learned from where I live and being a Marine, it is not the style you fight with but the will to survive. When I fight, I do not fight to win, I fight to hurt. One way or another, I am going take down the person who threatens me or my family and therefore they will think twice before messing with me again.

So whether it is BJJ, Karate, Street Fighting, or Wing Chun, it is up to the individuale and how much heart they have to survive in a confritation. A peron can be skilled in an art but still have no heart or courage to face there adversary.

When it comes down to it, I will gouge your eyes, twist your nuts, bite your ears ect..., it is all about survival.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I'll chill. You guys want to add BJJ to your "stand up game" and Wing Chun all the power too you.
I still feel that many would lose out on the knowledge of WT/WC techniques used in that range. This is a range I am just now really getting a feel for in training WC/WT, so my knowledge of what to do using Wing Chun in grappling range may be a bit limited for some grapplers to understand what I'm trying to say.
I can do it, but I'm not at the level to where I can explain it very well at all. I've used simple grade 1 and 2 techniques to stop a grapplers takedown or shoot in attempts.
And utilization of chi sau on the ground with arms and legs to use against a grappler I've just started to get into fully.
But, the biggest misconception I see online here and elsewhere is the assumption that Anti-grappling techniques are just re-hashed grappling. This truely is not so. I thought that too at first, but the entire motivation and action of anti-grappling is that you DON'T grab the opponent, wrestle them, or grapple back. If they grab you you do not grab them back. Very similar to the WT/WC standing escapes from being grabbed when standing. You still apply WC concepts on the ground and in a clinch as you would standing.
Again, this is something I understand how to utilize, train, and spar with, but I'm not fully knowledgable to describe it in text to do it much justice.
That's the whole reason for being a Si-Je, this is when I learn how to explain the art backwards and forwards. This takes years, and is precursor to learning how to be a teacher of the art. I could drop the Si-Je and stop teaching completely and just continue to focus only on learning and refining my skill in WT/WC and be the same martial artist for it. But, I would no longer be in "training" to become a teacher of the art. Not everyone is a good teacher, and I may be finding out that teaching is not for me, or that I'm not good enough to explain WC/WT concepts to students where they understand the art correctly and don't feel that they have to cross train to be better suited to defend themselves.
If I can't give my student's confidence in the art, then I have no business teaching it. Plain and Simple.
That's probably why I get so riled up here sometimes. I want to be a good teacher, I love to teach WC/WT, but if I can't make these concepts clear to people then it would be best to stand back and let Hubbie find another assistant teacher. (He should have one in another 2-3 years). This is something I've been thinking about alot these past few months, mainly based on the fact that so many who train WC/WT here cannot understand or don't like what I'm saying. I'm not suited to teach.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sigh. Okay. I specifically said "and other styles of grappling.". I take nothing away from judo, catch wrestling, sambo or any other grappling art.

In the first few sentences, I'm specifically addressing the place grappling had in the consciousness if MA practitioners before and after UFC 1. There is also the very real and undeniable impact BJJ has had on the popularity of MA in general and grappling specifically. That's not arrogance. In fact I take no personal credit or pride for any of it. It's not my art, simply the one in which I train.

If you choose to ignore the impact BJJ has had in recent history, since '93 in the world then it's you who isn't seeing things with an open eye.
What arrogance SteveBJJ. To state that BJJ is the only wrestling art in existance and that it is because of BJJ that anti-grappling was created. There are far better wresting styles out there than BJJ, that have been tested longer in combat, and over much longer periods of time. Wrestling has been around since the beginning of time, are you going to give BJJ credit for the MA styles of thousands of years ago?
This is why I don't like BJJ and some of it's practicioners. The arrogance and misguided view of the very history of martial arts is astounding! lol!
I saw an interview of a Gracie teacher on t.v. a couple of years ago bragging to the camera and his student's that BJJ was the first martial art invented on Earth, that all martial arts stems from it. I was FLOOORED!
And people believed this without question.
I'm just asking you to question, to think outside of the box. You BJJ guys spout the same jargon and speak word for word verbatum the same arguments like your pod people and your minds are not your own. No matter who I talk to or hear talking about BJJ ya'll say the very same statements like you memorized them in class or something. ???? I just don't get that mentality.
Someone wants to talk to you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions