Does Muay Thai have the Wing Chun/Tsun push kick?

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I noticed two weekends ago, Brandon Vera did a VERY Wing Chun/Tsun-like kick from a very Wing Chun/Tsun-like advancing stance in his decision loss to Keith Jardine. Anyone else see and notice this? I know Vera is Muay Thai based, but that deffinitely looked Wing Chun/Tsun-like from the stance to the execution straight to the front knee which Jardine had his weight on. Vera apeared to pull back upon contact though, but had he followed through, I think Jardine may be shopping around for a surgeon right now, if not under the knife already.

Also, I see some more attempts at trapping hands...none successfull thus far as I've seen. Tim Boetsch and that tall Ben guy from the UFC tv show try them sometimes. Makes me wonder if some fighters are actually looking at Wing Chun/Tsun rather than blindly disregarding it as a viable artform. I know Carlson Gracie Jr. was exploring it and adapting some principles into his GJJ with Sam Chan (I think it was him). Me personally, I am of the school of thought there isn't much of it that could be used in sport without bastardizing it to near unrecognizable degrees.

Thoughts?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not up to speed with the current MMA but i do remember years ago Vitor Belfort charged across the ring and knocked somebody out with what looked like to all intents and purposes to be chain punching , except with horizontal fists , that also looked very Wing Chun / Wing Tsun like as well .

I have friends who train in Muay Thai and they do use that kick as a push , but i was taught in Wing Chun to deliver the heel kick at very high speed to the bladder region , the knee cap , or the shins and like the punch it stays relaxed until just before impact for maximum force and acceleration , and is all the more damaging because you are wearing shoes .

I think that you will see similarities sometimes because as humans we all have only two arms and legs and there are only so many ways that you can attack somebody , but superficially things might look the same but there could be a world of difference in the way that they are executed and where the power etc is coming from .

For example in our lineage we use the hook kick , to an observer it looks like a Muay Thai leg kick , but ours is much more compact , non telegraphic , used at close range , both legs have equal opportunity to kick with equal power because of our squared up stance , is used as a finisher never to start off with and is used in conjunction with the hands.

It is these small details that make it different from their kick , but to somebody off the street they would most probably think it looked the same .

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We've had very similar debates on thsi topic previously. Remember that many martial arts will look and feel the same, mainly because there are only so many techniques you can do with the human body

People look for eficient movements and stamping kicks and push kicks are extremely effective

In Karate, I have found that they do a very similar stamping kick to wing chun. I must admit that when I found it out I felt like they had stolen it!!! But of course, good martial arts will merely fnd and work out what works and what doesn't

Master Chan has mentioned that many techniques found in Muay Thai, boxing and BJJ are very similar to wing chun moves

What does a double muen gen sao to a persons head look like....? Muay Thai clinch..?

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
is it also true that many asian/oriental arts are derived from chinese origins at some point?
perhaps the techniques we see are the ones they kept because of their effectiveness and evolved what they felt did not....
a bit like what bruce lee felt with jkd>?

i cant wait for a wc/wt guy to actually make an impact in the cage just to shut some of the haters up!( despite tha fact that many techniques are actually wc/wt etc)

nice game plan from bisping by the way!
matsu

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it also true that many asian/oriental arts are derived from chinese origins at some point?
perhaps the techniques we see are the ones they kept because of their effectiveness and evolved what they felt did not....
a bit like what bruce lee felt with jkd>?

i cant wait for a wc/wt guy to actually make an impact in the cage just to shut some of the haters up!( despite tha fact that many techniques are actually wc/wt etc)

nice game plan from bisping by the way!
matsu

Yay!! someone who appreciated it!!

Latest Discussions