How long do you need to do Wing Chun to become an instructor?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In one school which I checked out online there's an instructor who trains advanced students and he has
been doing Wing Chun for 3 years only!

Isn't this a bit less of experience? How can you be good enough after just 3 years to train advanced people?!

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Are sure you aren't hoping that it IS the case that YOU could become an instructor in just 3 years? Just think, the adulation, everyone hanging on your every word as you demonstrate your deadly, video learnt skills. Please, just stop.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In one school which I checked out online there's an instructor who trains advanced students and he has

Isn't this a bit less of experience? How can you be good enough after just 3 years to train advanced people?!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
More experience than you'll ever have well I could train for 5 minutes and have 4:59 seconds more than you'll ever have

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score

please share the link so we can see what you are referring too.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure you can be an instructor in a matter of months, or even days if you find the "right" teacher. Some schools might even let you earn a "black belt," something most Wing Chun practitioners never get to wear!

;)

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

A hard kick to the balls, that's all you need remember? Practice your ball kicking skills then take over that school, Black Dragon Society style. You should also practice headbutting, maybe start by banging your head off a brick wall until it becomes calloused. Add in shanking & you will have achieved the trifecta of Butt - Nuts - Gut.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You could open up your own school after 1,000 Martial Talk posts. You've only got about 780 absurd posts left until your grand opening.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You could open up your own school after 1,000 Martial Talk posts. You've only got about 780 absurd posts left until your grand opening.
*Louie Anderson voice* Right now, I'm just a green belt but with a few more posts I'll be a black belt. Once that happens, that's were the real respect comes in.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
*Louie Anderson voice* Right now, I'm just a green belt but with a few more posts I'll be a black belt. Once that happens, that's were the real respect comes in.

Eddie Murphy aka Akeem voice: "Just a few posts huh?"

Love that movie.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you judge ability purely time? Some of my fellow students practice every signle day, some train once a week. Clearly after 3, 5, 10 years etc they are not going to be equal in abilty. You can become a black belt in Aikido in one year if you join the Tokyo Riot Police course. It's not how long you've been training, it's how much trianing you have done in that time.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
How can you be good enough after just 3 years to train advanced people?!

How many hours did he put in during those three years? Do you know?

What was his background before he started training there? Do you know?

I have to echo the comments made by others here. Unless you are injured or something, go train!

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you don't want to be taught by someone who has only three years' training, don't train there. You won't ever train anywhere, so it's just a thought experiment in any case.

I would have said around five years to run your own kwoon. However, most students should be encouraged to do some teaching before then under light supervision, as it is an excellent way to understand the art more fully.

Pat M

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I believe Rex of "Rex Quan Do" fame spent many years in the octagon refining his skills before teaching his take on how to lord over his students wearing his Stars and Stripes "Bad Boy" pants so perhaps you are correct.

This is just not enough time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course the instructor may be a new one and actually only teaches beginners at the moment, without a link to give any information it's either just hearsay or made up.

Latest Discussions