Wing Chun powerless against aggressive boxers?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Guys, I need your opinion on this.
I just watched this and I was pretty shocked that basically Master Wong said that a wing chun man
has no chance against a boxer!

Also Wong only defends himself and tries to keep the boxer away!

I am really kinda shocked. I mean have you EVER seen a wing chun instruction video where they
show all these fancy deflections where they had a boxer who attacked like this? I have never seen this!
Compared to this here the instruction videos are ABSOLUTELY unrealistic!

In the videos the attacker stands right before the wing chun guy. He's not being aggressive. He throws
a punch and the wing chun guy deflects and then attacks him and that's it. It makes it look like wing chun
can handle a boxer very well.

But now look at reality.

Last edited:
OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is this all you can say in reply to this?

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But I don't want to do boxing! Besides this I think that most of the aggressive bullies which attack people
would naturally do boxing. I don't want to go to a school and then meet these very people which I want to be able
to defend against. Yuck. I don't even want to see these creeps.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You naturally bully people in boxing you will get your face punched in.

Watch the movie creed. It will give you an indication of why your average boxer is better than your average chunster.

Actually this is even simpler to explain.

If you are bad at wing chun long enough this happens.

If you are bad enough at boxing long enough this happens.

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually Wong gives an example of how 'He' uses his wing chun to defend verses an aggressive boxer. He also says it is dangerous but a wing chun man can defend against the boxer. He states at the end the 'if' the wing man is not up to a good standard the boxer will be a problem and that one must train and train properly to understand the boxer attacks.

Again one must practice, learn and understand range, timing, and angles.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kehcorpz,
What is your reason for wanting to study a martial art? Self defense, fighting, exercise, form training, comradery.....what?
If you want realistic fighting skill the training will be vastly different from the others. Not many teachers, in my experience, offer more than one or two aspects of an art. Most CMA teachers are traditional & unfortunately hard hitting fighting skill is neglected. Most schools not in MMA don't focus on it, mostly for insurance reasons. Taking fighting advice from someone who doesn't fight or has never fought competitively (and I'm not talking point sparring here but knockout competition) is like taking piano lessons from someone who has never played the piano, but can read music. So take what they have to say with a grain of salt, no matter their celebrity or standing in the Mo Lum. Sparring & fighting are very different, one is a learning session the other a life lesson.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
But I don't want to do boxing! Besides this I think that most of the aggressive bullies which attack people
would naturally do boxing. I don't want to go to a school and then meet these very people which I want to be able

So, you're hiding from them?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yeah I'm sure they don't want to see you either I don't think anyone on this board wants to see you either. You really are dumb you're getting annoyed when people won't answer you well we all tried to help you first few times now your just taking the piss either train and learn from your instructor or don't train and stop wasting everyone's time and oh it's not master Wong it's Wong since he's not your master so you don't call him master

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I though you said on another thread that all you wanted to do was crush your enemies? I might have got that wrong, but life's too short for me to bother going back and check your previous post.

Boxers generally prevail because they train HARD, do loads of cardio and conditioning, and get used to giving and receiving contact. That is the main reason why boxers do well and are a real problem for those without the same commitment.

Relatively few kung fu guys train as hard or the same way. Some do. The good ones in my experience will cross train with boxers or kickboxers in any case and have similar regimens as part of their training.

So you have hard trainers, those that train less hard, and a third class whose sole experience is watching YouTube videos and asking dumb questions about them. Sound like anyone we know?

Boxers are not generally more aggressive than anybody else. If they are competing, they generally try to avoid fights as legal trouble can affect their ability to compete. Plus they are too wasted from training. A situation you will never find yourself in because you will never train.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Guys, I need your opinion on this.
I just watched this and I was pretty shocked that basically Master Wong said that a wing chun man
has no chance against a boxer!
Unless you live in an area of the world where boxers routinely patrol the streets looking for Wing Chun people to beat up, is it ever going to be an issue?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unless you live in an area of the world where boxers routinely patrol the streets looking for Wing Chun people to beat up, is it ever going to be an issue?

I think you just came up with the plot for a great kung fu movie. Now we've just got to come up with a title

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do boxing.
I agree but at a certain level there's not much difference. A punch becomes a punch and so on.. The key for a WC guy though, is learning to generate the power using WC body mechanics. Again at a certain level it's just subtle differences but same results.. Only trained eye can spot.. A Good "fighters" movements become so small or subtle that it all can kind of look the same at the end.. I think what too many look for in the differential between boxing and WC is the obvious stuff like fist angle hips footwork etc.. That's not what I look at. In good boxing I look for tight movement i.e. targeting centerline and constant forward energy . In good WC I look for same thing.

Latest Discussions