Why the Screenprinting on the Dobak Back?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
We all have to have a small patch on the left on the front of the uniform with the club logo. Our demo team wears uniforms with the club name written in large lettering on the back but that is understandable considering they are a demo team who attract new students to the club so its all about advertising. The demo team uniforms are available to any students who wish to purchase one and quite a few do. I see it mainly as advertising, if a student is in uniform on their way to/from class and are seen in public it just gets the name out there. Its really no different to club stickers, jackets, training bags etc which are also available.

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wore a completely white uniform for the first time today and I must say, I prefer the plain look over any patches or screenprinting. It made me feel more "serious" (that's the only word that comes to mind right now). But if I'm out with the rest of my classmates at a tournament or demo, I'll go get my black trimmed v-neck with our school name embroidered on the back. For that situation I feel it shows more unity, gives us more team feelings and helps us represent our dojang.

Long story short IMO
Training and practice= Plain uniform
Demo/Tournament/Anything Outside= Dojang name embroidered on back. (no screenprinting though!)

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wore a completely white uniform for the first time today and I must say, I prefer the plain look over any patches or screenprinting. It made me feel more "serious" (that's the only word that comes to mind right now). But if I'm out with the rest of my classmates at a tournament or demo, I'll go get my black trimmed v-neck with our school name embroidered on the back. For that situation I feel it shows more unity, gives us more team feelings and helps us represent our dojang.

Long story short IMO
Training and practice= Plain uniform
Demo/Tournament/Anything Outside= Dojang name embroidered on back. (no screenprinting though!)
I must admit I would love to try wearing a v kneck uniform. Unfortunately they are not allowed at my club and I find with the traditional style uniform I am always having to adjust it during class.

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I must admit I would love to try wearing a v kneck uniform. Unfortunately they are not allowed at my club and I find with the traditional style uniform I am always having to adjust it during class.
funny thing that you mention that! We don't normally use open uniforms, and I always find that the v neck comes loose and requires adjusting during class! :D

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

V-necks are awful for holding your sweat since they are generally a lighter weight of fabric. I wore one as a loaner once and I was dripping wet within 30 mins.

A correct fitting uniform helps alot with the adjustment problems. Make sure the 'tail' is long enough to stay under your belt even with rigorous movement and it should also be the correct width for your frame. I am fortunate and I can wear most standard uniforms, but if I had a non-standard body shape like a stocky torso, I would invest in custom-made uniforms. No doubt that it's annoying to always be fussing with your workout garb.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
V-necks are awful for holding your sweat since they are generally a lighter weight of fabric. I wore one as a loaner once and I was dripping wet within 30 mins.

A correct fitting uniform helps alot with the adjustment problems. Make sure the 'tail' is long enough to stay under your belt even with rigorous movement and it should also be the correct width for your frame. I am fortunate and I can wear most standard uniforms, but if I had a non-standard body shape like a stocky torso, I would invest in custom-made uniforms. No doubt that it's annoying to always be fussing with your workout garb.
Cheers. Ive just purchased my first ever decnt quality uniform (a present to myself for getting my first dan) and it is heaps better, its cotton and quite heavy but it doesnt move around much at all. I got the cheap polyester one when I started and it lasted for ages and I just thought all uniforms were like that. I assumed the v-neck ones were made of the decent fabric but if not Id have all the same problems I guess.

rlp271

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of screen printing, my background consists mostly of Okinawan Karate. While a university student though, I played for the university TKD team. We had our school names on the back to indicate which school we were from for scoring purposes, especially in forms competition. That's about the most sense I've ever been able to make out of screen printing anything on a uniform. As I was graduating, I convinced our coach to move away from the huge New York Jidokwan logo on the entire back, to just NYU on the tail.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We wear open gi jackets at our school and they have the screenprint of the school on the back. Being an ATA school we do not have the option of wearing a plain gi. We're required to have the screen print on the back of the tops with an ATA patch and school patch. They do have other patches that can be earned but it's normally only the kids that actually wear them on their unforms. Personally I don't like the screen print on the back of the gi and would prefer either having nothing on the gi or at the very least a school patch and that's it. The standard unform we get is I believe and 8 or a 10 oz student unform and after a couple of months of regular training and washing the screen print begins to fade and looks pretty terrible in my opinion. I currently own two unforms one for practice which is in pretty sad shape and another one that I wear strictly for testings. The Leadership club member's get to wear the heavier uniforms with the embroidered ATA logo information on the back.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of screen printing, my background consists mostly of Okinawan Karate. While a university student though, I played for the university TKD team. We had our school names on the back to indicate which school we were from for scoring purposes, especially in forms competition. That's about the most sense I've ever been able to make out of screen printing anything on a uniform. As I was graduating, I convinced our coach to move away from the huge New York Jidokwan logo on the entire back, to just NYU on the tail.

So the name of the school is on the back for forms competitions?

Well, the mothership requires patches on front and back, org patches, not school, those are optional, for the right front, maybe 4 inches across.(those were fun to collect...)

Personally I don't like screen print, it fades after a few washes and gets to looking worn. But it's not a deal breaker for me.
I think team spirit is more promoted through uniform warmup wear at event than matching doboks.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I order plain student uniforms but the students can buy a huge (10 inch) patch that can be sewn on the back. I provide blue belts and above with a CDK patch to be worn over their heart.