Why the Screenprinting on the Dobak Back?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Esprit de corps? Another money maker?

School owners who have this in your school, please share why you do it. If you're a student, by all means chime in and tell us if you like it or not.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not like them for a couple of reason, I am a older TKD'ist so it is a plan uniform white is what I prefer. The next reason is money, every single tournament has rules about what can or cannot be on a uniform so to keep it simple and cost down we just do not.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's an optional thing for my students. Some get it, some don't. It's required on my dress dobok, so I make it available to my students. I have it on some & not on others for me.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of an argument about it with the other co-head of our TKD program. He wants to come up with a group patch/emblem and also have it screen printed on the back of the dobaks.

He believes there is a unity-building quality to it. I'm inclined to skip the expense and hassle myself, but I was hoping to get some opinions weighing in FOR having it.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm a student. Our school has it. I don't think it's another money maker as our dobaks don't seem to cost any more than dobaks of similar quality I see on the internet. If I had to wager my guess I'd say it's about trying to foster a sense of team spirit, school pride, school recognition....that sort of thing.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
He believes there is a unity-building quality to it. I'm inclined to skip the expense and hassle myself, but I was hoping to get some opinions weighing in FOR having it.

We have mandatory patches on our keiko gi. They are fairly small (4 inches across) and specify our organization / dojo membership. They are mostly intended for large events to identify you.

I am personally against the use of badges. If you want to build unity, the best way is through the way you train and the manner in which you behave (respectful and polite). If those 2 are missing, then badges won't work anyway. If they aren't, then badges are not adding anything. Perhaps a small emblem to identify your students is a good idea, but the whole 'bonding' things imo should be achieved through training seriously, not goofing off and the demand for proper manners.

I've seen orgs where the emblem thing gets quite ridiculous, with emblems and large print text / names on the back, arms, and legs... almost like a cyclist renting out his body for commercial advertisements :)

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm a student. Our school has it. I don't think it's another money maker as our dobaks don't seem to cost any more than dobaks of similar quality I see on the internet. If I had to wager my guess I'd say it's about trying to foster a sense of team spirit, school pride, school recognition....that sort of thing.

The school usually has to guarantee a certain order size like 50 uniforms or so or else they have to pay a custom screen printing fee. Since the school then sells the uniforms to their students, there's generally at least a small profit built in.

Student grade uniforms cost around $12-$16 wholesale per uniform without any customization. Don't pay attention to the retail prices you see on the internet. No school owner pays them.

I somewhat understand the school pride thing.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Why the Screenprinting on the Dobak Back?"

Because you cant see it as well on the front!:rofl:

Also, Free Advertising. just another way to stand out of the crowd. Dont really do much in class except personalize uniforms to the school. More revenue for the instructor. Prevents other uniforms from being used there or those from being used elsewhere....

And for the record, I HAVE NOTHING ON MY DOBUK. no patches, no logos, just the Nike/Adiddas/ maker of the uniform.....

I said it before.... I like clean... new... and crisp..... old raggady gots to go.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
student grade uniforms cost around $12-$16 wholesale per uniform without any customization. Don't pay attention to the retail prices you see on the internet. No school owner pays them..

$7 - 8.50 awma.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Those are the paper thin unis, right? 5 oz. I'd rather not see everyone's business once they sweat even a little. :)

not for adults or advanced students, but children who are beginners and dont know if they will be around for more than 6 months.... sure.

Kids dont need the expensive high quality uniforms when the will outgrow and destroy it quickley anyway....

I would never give an adult a 5 oz either.... but 7 oz! for a beginner.... absolutley

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dislike screen printing on gis/doboks. It always fades and looks crappy. Embroidery is okay, though. Our competition team has an embroidered logo on the back of the uniforms; it's good advertising for the school as long as your demo team people don't suck. We also have 2 mandatory patches, indicating the school and the class you train in, since we're widely distributed.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd rather not see everyone's business once they sweat even a little. :)
Now if Halle, Megan, Scarlet or any other super-hot woman came into learn, I would definately give them the 5 oz..... hell 3oz if the had it....:erg: they're HOT and need to keep cool
icon12.gif

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now if Halle, Megan, Scarlet or any other super-hot woman came into learn, I would definately give them the 5 oz..... hell 3oz if the had it....:erg: they're HOT and need to keep cool
icon12.gif

Nah. You'd never be able to finish your lesson plan.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it were up to me I'd opt for a 4" patch with a school logo on it. The screen printing on the back is too much, IMO. Identifying one's school with some sort of group thing on a dobok brings unity, as others have mentioned.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Our school has it. You're not required to buy a uniform from the school, but for almost a year we've had a promotional introductory deal where a uniform comes with 6 weeks of classes for $99, so almost everyone has a school dobok. Our school also has a black belt club with different colored doboks, which we did have to pay for. I think they were about $40.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am from the old school, don't like V neck doboks so much, I would rather prefer the open gi jacket.

In my actual dojang the dobok has on the left chest side (heart) the organization/dojang patch and in the back a simbol with the name of the organization, do I like it? NO period.

For me a white karategi without any black trim and only a small patch is my way of going. Simple but neat.

Manny

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't really mind screenprinting, BUT, think it should be mandatory for this:

FinFangFoom-FinFangFour.gif

to be the picture on the back of every kung fu/karate/TKD person out there! :D :D :D

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
ITF doboks have a logo representing an evergreen tree on the back of the jacket. It is composed to the word "Taekwon-Do" in English forming an arc (the tree branches) across the back and then the Hangul for Taekwon-Do forming a vertical line underneath (the trunk).

It's a bit of an Esprit de Corps thing, as it instills a sense of cohesion amongst students.

There are uniforms that have the "tree" on the back silk screened, which looks fine but can fad with repeated washings. Many people buy doboks that have it embroidered on (and can actually have the ITF patch on front embroidered on as well). I prefer the embroidered version myself as it doesn't fade.

Pax,

Chris

Latest Discussions