Some questions to those of you who operate, attend, or promote non affiliated studios...

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One does not associate the art of Kong Soo Do with those types of techniques either.

Actually they did. And they really associate it with those techniques now. :)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually they did. And they really associate it with those techniques now. :)

We had a long discussion about that subject on MT. As a result of that discussion, you told us in a MT post that you called an emergency meeting of the IKA to discuss a name change for your art.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a long discussion about that subject on MT. As a result of that discussion, you told us in a MT post that you called an emergency meeting of the IKA to discuss a name change for your art.

What is the IKA? I only belong to one organization and we've never had an emergency meeting. We did discuss the topic off and on for awhile with the result that nothing changed. There was no need for anything to change.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the IKA? I only belong to one organization and we've never had an emergency meeting. We did discuss the topic off and on for awhile with the result that nothing changed. There was no need for anything to change.

Your International Kong Soo Do Association.

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
...and who may also love to hate the big orgs, particularly the Kukkiwon/WTF.

If you operate or instruct at an independent school...
  • What is your school called? Dearborn County School of Martial Arts
  • What is it that caused you to become an independent school? To say the lease dealing with the business end of running an affiliate school for my Grandmaster. At one point I had enough students and the building facilities to go 4 days and the Grandmaster wanted me to instruct only 2 days.
  • How does your taekwondo differ from what is taught by the big Orgs, particularly the Kukkiwon/WTF? Please describe what it is that you teach. Nothing is really different other then my background includes a 2nd Dan in Tae Kwon Do, 4 years of study in Tai Chi and a 9th Kyu in Shotokan Karate. Though my students learn mainly Tae Kwon Do I do incorporate my other styles in there training as well. And we focus on the self defense of the art but I wont deny my students the opportunity to compete as well but its not my main focus.
  • How are your students benfited specifically by your school being independent? If you say that you teach like a drill seargent and run your students until they look like the Spartans from 300, that isn't a result of independent status; that's just your teaching style. They get more of a well rounded curriculum with my background then if it was stricktley just Tae Kwon Do
  • What can you as a school owner do to benefit your school and students that you could not do if you were affiliated with the Kukkiwon/WTF or other large org? Really haven't explored this option yet but one of the things that is being hard for me that is not a benefit is trying to find someone who will test me for 3rd Dan and still keep my indpendency and don't want any kickback.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I only choose to answer two of your questions as I believe those are the ones that are relevant:
  • How does your taekwondo differ from what is taught by the big Orgs, particularly the Kukkiwon/WTF? Actually I have Kukkiwon certification... but in 33 years I have not received any other benefit of belonging to them other than certification. The Kukkiwon on the other hand has benefited by me sending them thousands of dollars. So therefor I would have to believe that there would be no difference if I "belonged" or did not belong. And yes Puunui you can hit me up on that one, Im sure you will. But the fact remains that the Kukkiwon does little for the $$ that are sent to them.
  • What can you as a school owner do to benefit your school and students that you could not do if you were affiliated with the Kukkiwon/WTF or other large org? Again, their is really nothing that I cannot do now that I could not do if I didnt have Kukkiwon certification. No one ever asks to see it, people in the US who are new to the art do not know what it is, there are no laws saying I have to have it. The ONLY reason you need it is to compete oversees and if you, or a student, is that gifted a kukkiwon certificate can be produced in a very short time from any of the National governing bodies even if you yourself are not certified.
  • I think that an added question would be: What direct benefit do you recieve from the Kukkowon other than certification?
[/QUOTE]

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
  • I think that an added question would be: What direct benefit do you recieve from the Kukkowon other than certification?
I would be interested in hearing an answer to this from our MT members here who feel that it does offer more than certification. Although, maybe it should be another thread of discussion.. .

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[/LIST]I would be interested in hearing an answer to this from our MT members here who feel that it does offer more than certification. Although, maybe it should be another thread of discussion.. .

This would be a very good question. Perhaps it could even be expanded to any organization....

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually I have Kukkiwon certification... but in 33 years I have not received any other benefit of belonging to them other than certification. The Kukkiwon on the other hand has benefited by me sending them thousands of dollars. So therefor I would have to believe that there would be no difference if I "belonged" or did not belong.

No one asks to see them, but do you display them prominently on your walls, your webpage, or anywhere else? Why do it if you derive no benefit from it? Why not switch to Mun Mu Kwan certification, for example?

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nope... actually took them off the wall more than 10 years ago and put up pictures that were "interesting" instead. Funny,,, just looked at the website and dont have anything on there either?! What I do is offer the kukkiwon certificate for those who want to spend the extra and our association certificate for those who do not. In the past year I have only applied for one Kukkiwon as most dont care about it.

No one asks to see them, but do you display them prominently on your walls, your webpage, or anywhere else? Why do it if you derive no benefit from it? Why not switch to Mun Mu Kwan certification, for example?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope... actually took them off the wall more than 10 years ago and put up pictures that were "interesting" instead. Funny,,, just looked at the website and dont have anything on there either?! What I do is offer the kukkiwon certificate for those who want to spend the extra and our association certificate for those who do not. In the past year I have only applied for one Kukkiwon as most dont care about it.

that's not what I hear, but ok.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
...and who may also love to hate the big orgs, particularly the Kukkiwon/WTF.

If you operate or instruct at an independent school...
  • What is your school called?
  • What is it that caused you to become an independent school?
  • How does your taekwondo differ from what is taught by the big Orgs, particularly the Kukkiwon/WTF? Please describe what it is that you teach.
  • How are your students benfited specifically by your school being independent? If you say that you teach like a drill seargent and run your students until they look like the Spartans from 300, that isn't a result of independent status; that's just your teaching style.
  • What can you as a school owner do to benefit your school and students that you could not do if you were affiliated with the Kukkiwon/WTF or other large org?
Please do not take this as an opportunity to bash orgs or to debate historicity beyond the scope of this thread. I am interested in factual answers to the above questions and intelligent dialogue.

1) It is called Rhee Tae Kwon Do.
2) I believe it had something to do with the fact that the ITF and the WTF decided to take Tae Kwon Do in different directions and master Rhee wanted to keep as it was originally taught but don't quote me on that.
3) My school teaches the art as purely a self defence art, non-contact sparring, no protective gear and no sporting aspects whatsoever.
4) Master Chong Chul Rhee conducts gradings throughout Australia therefore he ensures that the standard of technique and skill is high. There is no need to send away for certification to Korea from masters that have had no part in your training and may have never even met you. No politics.
5) I do not own the school and it is a part of a very large organization.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4) Master Chong Chul Rhee conducts gradings throughout Australia therefore he ensures that the standard of technique and skill is high. There is no need to send away for certification to Korea from masters that have had no part in your training and may have never even met you. No politics.

Valid point. This would tend to cut down on many of the issues that other organizations have to contend with.

Latest Discussions